Pages:
Author

Topic: GPU Mining a good idea or not? - page 2. (Read 630 times)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0
November 22, 2018, 11:24:19 AM
If I don't take both because for now, it isn't the right time to invest in hardware. I doubt the ROI and the uncertain market situation.
copper member
Activity: 24
Merit: 6
November 22, 2018, 10:09:04 AM
The thing about GPU mining is that it offers more options.

Short answer: yes ASICS mine better.

Long answer: an ASICS miner apart from mining is useless which means if for what ever reason you want to sell the hardware, selling your mining hardware will be hard if the market isnt going up. While a GPU you can still sell in a bearish market since its used in computers. Additionally, many GPUs support different algo's whereas a specific ASIC miner can only mine specific algo's. This again means that should something happen that you want to mine something else you can do this more easily using GPU (depends on the GPU as well so do your research).

And low prices can also be an opportunity, it means that hardware is likely also cheaper to buy.

copper member
Activity: 70
Merit: 2
November 20, 2018, 03:05:05 PM
At Elite Mining we use a combination of GPU and ASICs amongst others to ensure good diversification.
Activity: 294
Merit: 129
November 20, 2018, 01:05:55 PM
1. You need to post this in the altcoin section, this is for bitcoin mining only so you will not get many useful replies.

2. The market is in free fall, it is hard to recommend buying new hardware at this point.
Activity: 150
Merit: 10
PM me for posting ANN.
November 20, 2018, 12:17:09 PM
I used to have a GPU mining rig, well, not mining rig but more of a gaming PC with 2x GTX 1060 6GB GPUs. I sold my GPUs for 25% profit when coins started going down in price 6-7 months back.

Now that prices have stabilized a bit, is it a good idea to get back into GPU mining? My PC can accomodate 3 GPUs and since I have 800W PSU, I should not have any problem, but should I?

I see two problems:

1) ASICs that can mine equihash and other algos. I used to mine ZEC and KMD.
2) Low prices

What's your take?
Pages:
Jump to: