Pages:
Author

Topic: GPU Mining RIG (ETH ZEC) - 6 or 7 GPU - page 2. (Read 18477 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1006
Mine for a Bit
November 19, 2016, 10:41:44 AM
Have you tried to go more than 7 gpus on 1 motherboard? 

Great RIG.
Activity: 169
Merit: 100
November 18, 2016, 02:48:15 PM
you mean from a standard usb port/header on the mobo to a pcie slot adapter? no go.

the usb cables in risers just carry the pcie signals from the slot to the adapter. they do not use the usb protocol; the usb cables just happen to have enough individual wires and bandwidth to work so are convenient to use.

you could try a pcie port multiplier but not sure how well you could fit that in there.

Thank you for the information.  Yes, that was part of my question "Can the standard USBs interface a GPU."  Answer, No, Thank you.  

Second part of the question.  Does anyone have experience with these devices:  

PCI-e Express 1X to 3 Port 1X Switch Multiplier HUB Riser Card +USB Cable 1PC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-e-Express-1X-to-3-Port-1X-Switch-Multiplier-Riser-HUB-Card-USB-Cable-1PC-/191974739332?hash=item2cb2960d84:g:1AwAAOSw8gVX30ST

I have PCI-e Express 1X to 3 Port 1X Switch Multiplier HUB Riser Card

I have 7x Rx 480, H81 PRo btc with switch works fine, but 8x Rx 480 not started (windoes 10 with 16.9.2 driver)

legendary
Activity: 1084
Merit: 1003
≡v≡
November 18, 2016, 08:07:19 AM
has anyone tested this PCI-e Express 1X to 3 Port multiplier ?
I have 3x GPU mining rigs and managing them is a pain in the ass, if I could cut in half the amount of PCs that would be great.
Also I have 6x GPU rigs on windows 10, what is the max GPU supported in windows 10 ?
Activity: 1498
Merit: 597
November 16, 2016, 01:18:09 PM
you mean from a standard usb port/header on the mobo to a pcie slot adapter? no go.

the usb cables in risers just carry the pcie signals from the slot to the adapter. they do not use the usb protocol; the usb cables just happen to have enough individual wires and bandwidth to work so are convenient to use.

you could try a pcie port multiplier but not sure how well you could fit that in there.

Thank you for the information.  Yes, that was part of my question "Can the standard USBs interface a GPU."  Answer, No, Thank you.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-e-Express-1X-to-3-Port-1X-Switch-Multiplier-Riser-HUB-Card-USB-Cable-1PC-/191974739332?hash=item2cb2960d84:g:1AwAAOSw8gVX30ST

working fine for me on asrock H97 Anniversary and 7 rx 480 cards (win 10/64bit) , i was not able to get the 8th rx480 working in that setup.
it also working fine for me in a GA-X99M-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) mobo and 6 cards ( the mobo have 4 slots : 2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (PCIE_1/PCIE_2) , 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIE_3) , 1 x PCI Express x1 slot ) .
legendary
Mine for a Bit
November 16, 2016, 01:05:02 PM
What if use 7 such multiplerlers with 3 cards in each to build 21-card rig on a single motherboard? What if install 3 multiplers in each multipler resulting in 63 card per rig? Where significant performance drop will appear?

Look at the posting by citronick.  Looks like there are other issues that come into play.

It has been done actually by Nippy -- see this link and see the motherboard (its a USD$2000 PCI extension board for deep learning systems, like Facebook's Project Big Sur)

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.16380747

Its not as straight forward as ... just putting these multiplexors into an array ... you need Linux and special AMD drivers to make this work.... its entirely different animal all together. Claymore even needed to put a new version of ETH miner to support that many cards.

WHooooaaaah!  That is a BEAST!  Cool!  not profitable, but Cool!
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
November 16, 2016, 12:14:17 PM
What if use 7 such multiplerlers with 3 cards in each to build 21-card rig on a single motherboard? What if install 3 multiplers in each multipler resulting in 63 card per rig? Where significant performance drop will appear?

Look at the posting by citronick.  Looks like there are other issues that come into play.

It has been done actually by Nippy -- see this link and see the motherboard (its a USD$2000 PCI extension board for deep learning systems, like Facebook's Project Big Sur)

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.16380747

Its not as straight forward as ... just putting these multiplexors into an array ... you need Linux and special AMD drivers to make this work.... its entirely different animal all together. Claymore even needed to put a new version of ETH miner to support that many cards.
legendary
Mine for a Bit
November 16, 2016, 11:55:56 AM

Look at the posting by citronick.  Looks like there are other issues that come into play.
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
November 16, 2016, 10:55:36 AM
legendary
Mine for a Bit
November 16, 2016, 09:21:48 AM
Thanks for the information!  I am going to stick with a 7 GPU setup for this RIG.  There is only so much space in this RIG! 
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
November 15, 2016, 06:00:26 PM

I have these on a test rig (MEGATRON): 7 x R7-370s, Win 10, ASrock H81 Pro BTC mobo, 8GB RAM, 120Gb SSD.... working like a charm. The card goes into the last slot and connects to GPU 6 and 7.

Its currently mining ZEC - fast and furious, with CZM v5, runs cool

Would you think that this would lend the opportunity to have a 8+ GPU RIG?

Yes.... but after talking to many members.... anything beyond 8 cards need Linux OR Windows Advanced Server with several registry hacks and special drivers... gets complicated.

Also you need bigger PSU.

Someone in Ethereum forum did 8 cards on Ubuntu 14.04.

If you want multi multi GPU, search for this dude on Claymore Eth thread, who did I think 18 x GPUs on Linux and Claymore had to add feature to allow more than 12 GPUs. He used a PCI extension daughter board - usually used for deep learning machines -- but that is super expensive and not practical for mining
legendary
Mine for a Bit
November 15, 2016, 04:13:29 PM

I have these on a test rig (MEGATRON): 7 x R7-370s, Win 10, ASrock H81 Pro BTC mobo, 8GB RAM, 120Gb SSD.... working like a charm. The card goes into the last slot and connects to GPU 6 and 7.

Would you think that this would lend the opportunity to have a 8+ GPU RIG?
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
November 15, 2016, 03:59:32 PM

Activity: 22
November 15, 2016, 12:41:45 PM

https://i.imgur.com/MIE5u3q.png

its working, but doesnt worth the effort and the money. i think only linux will user 7 cards, you will have problem winth windows. Its easyer to make 6 card rigs with win10 imho.
legendary
Mine for a Bit
November 15, 2016, 10:53:54 AM

legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
November 15, 2016, 10:39:16 AM

legendary
Mine for a Bit
November 15, 2016, 09:59:20 AM
Today I am getting in another gpu and will make this rig a 7 GPU RIG.

I will post Pics as soon as I do some testing. 

I am also going to do some testing with the USBs - Trying to add GPUs via USBs.  I use the usb risers and was wondering if I can use the USBs on the Motherboard to run another GPU. Anyone had any experience with this?
legendary
Mine for a Bit
November 14, 2016, 06:31:40 PM
Chassis seems to be 4U, if we are talking rack 19" 32U, then you can fit 8 (in theory).

A standard 19" rack is 42U, so you can put 10 of the into a cabinet.

I made something like these about a year ago:
http://imgur.com/a/5lrtG

I put some big mofo fans into the front mask to create a wind tunnel, but there are LOTS of little m3 holes in these premade server cases, so i made my own custom case:

http://imgur.com/a/HAzQN

with this pull setup you can manage heat easily, even with hot-cold aisle in datacenters.

ps: my main acc zombie007 got stolen at last btctalk hack Sad

I could have used these pics a week ago!  haha  Thanks for the Pics!

You can cut holes in that flapping metal front mask to insert big mofo 1-2A fans to make a wind tunnel Cheesy I had real big problems with little holes, so i made my own case from sheet metal, and powder coated it. They looks so pro Cheesy

Very nice RIG zombie007!
Activity: 22
November 14, 2016, 06:24:18 PM
Chassis seems to be 4U, if we are talking rack 19" 32U, then you can fit 8 (in theory).

A standard 19" rack is 42U, so you can put 10 of the into a cabinet.

I made something like these about a year ago:
http://imgur.com/a/5lrtG

I put some big mofo fans into the front mask to create a wind tunnel, but there are LOTS of little m3 holes in these premade server cases, so i made my own custom case:

http://imgur.com/a/HAzQN

with this pull setup you can manage heat easily, even with hot-cold aisle in datacenters.

ps: my main acc zombie007 got stolen at last btctalk hack Sad

I could have used these pics a week ago!  haha  Thanks for the Pics!

You can cut holes in that flapping metal front mask to insert big mofo 1-2A fans to make a wind tunnel Cheesy I had real big problems with little holes, so i made my own case from sheet metal, and powder coated it. They looks so pro Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: