Pages:
Author

Topic: GPU MINING RIG taking fire - page 2. (Read 9995 times)

Activity: 66
Merit: 10
February 17, 2017, 10:11:09 AM
I had a power cable feeding monitor melt out of nowhere. We were sitting with a friend assembling new rigs and testing, and suddenly I smelled something's burning. We're checking rigs - all good, but something seems to be happening around my place. I looked on the floor and I saw it, 20 cm from my feet - the rubber on the power cable was half melted in one point and it started smoking. Good that we were there, I'm even scared to think what if it was connected to a rig instead of a monitor and caught fire while we were away.
Activity: 661
Merit: 258
February 17, 2017, 02:32:39 AM
i had once my motherboard burned due to short circuit in pci-e slot caused by small peace of usb raiser's pin left there i assume. My motherboard was lying at foam which came in box so it started to melt and i think it might be fired up if i hadn't power off the system.
You guys are scaring me with so many times that gpu-s taking fire cause I live my GTX mining while I go to work. I am using only one GTX 750 ti for the moment and I know that's quite some really quiet card and max power draw from the test I did is 45 watt no matter the card says max 65 watt.

I want to upgrade during this month , or next month as a max to 2 GTX 1070 for mining Zcash or  Lbry. I am happy with the result I am having from GTX 750 so I think 2 GTX 1070 should give me about 100-140 USD per month in Bitcoin which I would love to achieve.

I guess there's no risk for only 2 GPU-s or is there risk even for this very new card GTX 1070?

Just had to remove burnt rx470 few minutes ago=)) There were short circuit with sparks and smoke. PSU reacted well and had switched off.

Sorry man, what caused the short? Do you know
What psu are you using?
What's the card operating temp was?
Is there any dust on the card that could have caused this?
If you can give us some details for us to learn ..... It can save some ppl.thx
And sorry for the card i hope you can fix it..
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
February 16, 2017, 05:41:16 PM
i had once my motherboard burned due to short circuit in pci-e slot caused by small peace of usb raiser's pin left there i assume. My motherboard was lying at foam which came in box so it started to melt and i think it might be fired up if i hadn't power off the system.
You guys are scaring me with so many times that gpu-s taking fire cause I live my GTX mining while I go to work. I am using only one GTX 750 ti for the moment and I know that's quite some really quiet card and max power draw from the test I did is 45 watt no matter the card says max 65 watt.

I want to upgrade during this month , or next month as a max to 2 GTX 1070 for mining Zcash or  Lbry. I am happy with the result I am having from GTX 750 so I think 2 GTX 1070 should give me about 100-140 USD per month in Bitcoin which I would love to achieve.

I guess there's no risk for only 2 GPU-s or is there risk even for this very new card GTX 1070?

Just had to remove burnt rx470 few minutes ago=)) There were short circuit with sparks and smoke. PSU reacted well and had switched off.
February 06, 2017, 03:36:05 PM
I don't think so...one guy here says if TV can RIG can also, well that's not actually truth, because some parts in TV are using very high voltage until PC are using max 12V, if happened something on GPU it will stop working, if not, Procesor will stop working, if not HDD will stop working if not Power Supply will shut down 100% so all in all, unpossible or let say very very low possibility like 0.01% chances maybe even less.
I never heard in my life that PC burned in fire !!
It happend i saw it with xfx nVidia gpu one of it's voltage regulators caught fire in front of my eyes ..by the way psu didn't shutdown....all that can be said any thing could happen with electronics nothing to predict..
Activity: 951
Merit: 259
February 06, 2017, 09:45:37 AM
I don't think so...one guy here says if TV can RIG can also, well that's not actually truth, because some parts in TV are using very high voltage until PC are using max 12V, if happened something on GPU it will stop working, if not, Procesor will stop working, if not HDD will stop working if not Power Supply will shut down 100% so all in all, unpossible or let say very very low possibility like 0.01% chances maybe even less.
I never heard in my life that PC burned in fire !!
Activity: 61
Merit: 5
February 06, 2017, 03:08:04 AM
Has anyone on here actually had a system burst into flames then keep burning for long enough to cause damage to property etc?
Some components can maintain a flame.

For example, some resistors have ignited and flamed.  (I have made them flame like a candle.)  Those resistors are routinely used in location where no such current will create flame even with other failures.  Other resistors are flame retardant types - do not flame.  Often used both as resistors and as a safety fuse.

Most components are constructed of materials that might burn; but not flame.  But again, anyone with a 'dead body' and a propane torch can learn this by doing.

Another item with a history of creating fires are plug-in protectors.  APC recently admitted some 15 million protectors must be removed immediately due to fire. Flame is a problem when a protector is grossly undersized.
legendary
Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005
February 05, 2017, 09:20:16 PM
there was smoke and iirc there also was a small flame at first immediately after power on
Electronic parts are designed to burn but not support flame.  Exceptions exist.  But a flame initially supported by arcing quickly extinguished once arcing did not support (maintain) that flame.

To better understand this, take a propane torch to the dead body to learn what will and will not support fire.  But I guess you also need a shovel to dig it up that dead body.

That is what I thought.

Components can burn and melt, maybe even smoke but not burst into flames then maintain a fire.

Has anyone on here actually had a system burst into flames then keep burning for long enough to cause damage to property etc?

Not GPUs but ASICs... https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5376bca8e4b09a4c09243edc/t/5468e138e4b0768e168beae8/1416159545234/
February 05, 2017, 04:40:01 PM

I think this post is good for some ppl how treat thier mining rigs as "set and forget" its not like deposit some money in bank for interest .. If you go to work and also give it some time for inspecting your rig and keep an eye on it from time to time i think it's ok you have nothing to worry about.
Activity: 658
Merit: 501
Hackers please hack me .... if you can :)
February 05, 2017, 04:00:53 PM

Activity: 223
Merit: 100
February 05, 2017, 01:54:32 PM

The rig components may not be able to maintain a fire, true (maybe - ask Underwriters Laboratory), unless the broken connections remain close enough together to continue arcing and power is still supplied. Anything nearby, receiving enough heat, can burn and sustain a fire, though.

Code:
- DO remove anything easily flamable from the area around your rigs.

- DO check to be sure your power connections are tight all the way back to the building main panel.

- DO verify your wires are big enough to handle the current, preferably a little oversized, internal to the rig AND all the way back to the building main panel. If you have any doubt - any at all - replace it.

- DO make sure you are not overloading your circuits.

Naturally things around could catch fire, I had assumed that would be common sense  Tongue

I like your code and I think anyone who doesn't or hasn't checked their wiring should.
Activity: 79
Merit: 36
HODL. Patience.
February 05, 2017, 01:05:03 PM
Components can burn and melt, maybe even smoke but not burst into flames then maintain a fire.

IRL, I am a firefighter and electrician.

The most common places for electrical fires to happen are outlets, junction boxes and breaker panels. Almost all electrical fires are caused by overcurrent and loose connections. Check your power all the way back to the main breaker. Check every connection, but also inspect the length of the wires for any damage to the insulation.

The rig components may not be able to maintain a fire, true (maybe - ask Underwriters Laboratory), unless the broken connections remain close enough together to continue arcing and power is still supplied. Anything nearby, receiving enough heat, can burn and sustain a fire, though.

Code:
- DO remove anything easily flamable from the area around your rigs.

- DO check to be sure your power connections are tight all the way back to the building main panel.

- DO verify your wires are big enough to handle the current, preferably a little oversized, internal to the rig AND all the way back to the building main panel. If you have any doubt - any at all - replace it.

- DO make sure you are not overloading your circuits.

After that, if you are really concerned with your rigs burning down your building, install a combination heat+smoke detector to trigger an extinguisher and electrical switch.
February 05, 2017, 12:54:36 PM
there was smoke and iirc there also was a small flame at first immediately after power on
Electronic parts are designed to burn but not support flame.  Exceptions exist.  But a flame initially supported by arcing quickly extinguished once arcing did not support (maintain) that flame.

To better understand this, take a propane torch to the dead body to learn what will and will not support fire.  But I guess you also need a shovel to dig it up that dead body.

Electronics can pull the trigger of the flame if there is something nearby that can feed this fire it may take down the house.....
Activity: 223
Merit: 100
February 05, 2017, 12:36:46 PM

That is what I thought.

Activity: 700
Merit: 500
February 05, 2017, 11:51:42 AM
Well anything electrically powered can catch up the fire. Sometimes, you do have to risk some stuff.

If you ask me, I'd never worry about the fire and let the system be powered. All the new GPU's are very much safe in this regard, in the worst case, your GPU's might burn, your cables might burn, your motherboard might burn, but your home, nah, I don't think its possible. There may be a single case in a million rigs like this, but I don't think that anyone should worry about this, specially if you have latest hardware.

actually its quite possible if even a small phone can burn down a house

probably safer to not use wooden frames and have nothing stacked on top
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505
February 05, 2017, 11:37:55 AM
Well anything electrically powered can catch up the fire. Sometimes, you do have to risk some stuff.

If you ask me, I'd never worry about the fire and let the system be powered. All the new GPU's are very much safe in this regard, in the worst case, your GPU's might burn, your cables might burn, your motherboard might burn, but your home, nah, I don't think its possible. There may be a single case in a million rigs like this, but I don't think that anyone should worry about this, specially if you have latest hardware.
February 05, 2017, 11:06:55 AM

February 05, 2017, 10:29:32 AM
im pretty sure it had to do with dust buildup, ...
Dust is never conductive to those low DC voltages.  Dust would never create that spark.  However a stray metal fragment might.

Normal is for electronics to be heavily caked in dust without failure or arcing.

More likely something internally failed inside a semiconductor creating a physic defect.  Most all electronic failures have no indication.  But some rare ones (such as this one) do. So a short circuit caused the PSU to enter current foldback limiting - and shutdown.  Later, the same failure was now a tiny short circuit that burned open during a new power up only creating smoke.  Not flame as originally suggested.  Just arcing and smoke.  A major difference.

thanks for the explanation!

but well, i buried the card long ago, may it rest in piece
February 05, 2017, 09:43:08 AM
im pretty sure it had to do with dust buildup, ...
Dust is never conductive to those low DC voltages.  Dust would never create that spark.  However a stray metal fragment might.

Normal is for electronics to be heavily caked in dust without failure or arcing.

More likely something internally failed inside a semiconductor creating a physic defect.  Most all electronic failures have no indication.  But some rare ones (such as this one) do. So a short circuit caused the PSU to enter current foldback limiting - and shutdown.  Later, the same failure was now a tiny short circuit that burned open during a new power up only creating smoke.  Not flame as originally suggested.  Just arcing and smoke.  A major difference.
February 05, 2017, 09:12:32 AM
i had one card create a spark, the psu cut the power immediately

i was almost asleep at that time and sleepy as i was i thought "wut?" and turned it back on, at this point the gpu really burned and created smoke and the psu would not power down automatically

in my case nothing could have prevented that from happening besides me cleaning the card, it was dust shorting something inside the card Cheesy
You remind me of some cards i had that i didn't clean for decades Smiley until the dust became a part of it and those cards had the longest life i have ever seen for gpus 6 years at minimum...i think it's not the dust or anyother fault, electrical components in the gpus can go dead in silence or it can also go dead after it burns some fire and smoke.....shit happens , by the way dust can't make a short circuit because of it's high resistance.

im pretty sure it had to do with dust buildup, the card in question was a 7970 with an arctic cooling cooler with this special backplate. betweet backplate and actual back of the card there is a very small gap, and dust was all over it on the edges (where the fire and smoke came out), might have been something else as well, but well, first and only card to die on me for now Cheesy
February 05, 2017, 09:02:44 AM
i had one card create a spark, the psu cut the power immediately

i was almost asleep at that time and sleepy as i was i thought "wut?" and turned it back on, at this point the gpu really burned and created smoke and the psu would not power down automatically

in my case nothing could have prevented that from happening besides me cleaning the card, it was dust shorting something inside the card Cheesy
You remind me of some cards i had that i didn't clean for decades Smiley until the dust became a part of it and those cards had the longest life i have ever seen for gpus 6 years at minimum...i think it's not the dust or anyother fault, electrical components in the gpus can go dead in silence or it can also go dead after it burns some fire and smoke.....shit happens , by the way dust can't make a short circuit because of it's high resistance.
Pages:
Jump to: