Pages:
Author

Topic: Grammar Nazi option - page 2. (Read 3508 times)

legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008
Keep it dense, yeah?
May 27, 2014, 06:23:00 PM
Would it be possible to allow people to submit transcribed versions of text. Many times, I have to re-read a post about a dozen times because it makes me go "what?". With this option, someone can go in, modify the post, and allow people to see both the original and modified copies of the text? This would clear up a lot of posts imho, and save the moderators quite a bit of work.

While I understand that you have a point about some posts being difficult to read, I don't really think that this option would be so useful. If you can't understand what is being said, then what makes you think that someone else might?

Even if somebody else did provide a transcription, how are we to be sure that the transcribed version captures any of the intended meaning within the original?

Can you provide any examples of other forums using this feature? I've never seen it before.

One simple solution would be to ask the OP to clarify their post, ideally within the form of an edit. Otherwise somebody else could 'transcribe' it within a reply.
legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1000
May 27, 2014, 04:53:06 PM
Would it be possible to allow people to submit transcribed versions of text. Many times, I have to re-read a post about a dozen times because it makes me go "what?". With this option, someone can go in, modify the post, and allow people to see both the original and modified copies of the text? This would clear up a lot of posts imho, and save the moderators quite a bit of work.

Edit: A new idea was suggested, and this post explains it the best in the shortest amount of space:

This seems like a good feature. I like the way StackExchange does it, with proposed edits. I would make it a proposed edit, when either enough people say 'OK', or the author accepts it, then it replaces the main post.
Pages:
Jump to: