Pages:
Author

Topic: Great addition for reports -- Age of a post - page 2. (Read 347 times)

legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1108
Yeah this means that if the post which is reported is six months old, the mods will not check it if it falls under the following reporting criteria.
We generally do not moderate posts this old for on-topicness, substantiveness, multi-posting, and other "cleanliness" issues.
However, it can still be acted upon if it is reported for plagiarism.
It might not seem like a short time but, 6 months is still a long enough time for information on a thread to have attained the much publicity it needs on the forum and should it be something worth reporting, one might have noted and done that. Its half a year of we dont really realise that. Still, I don't think it's something that won't be acted upon if looked up. Its very much up to the moderators on that as we all know.

Still, the rule might not directly ask moderators to act on it but, its not justification that you've escaped some adversities that could come by the message you passed. Rules still remains rules.
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 1159
So now this risk is mitigated. However, I believe that the 6 months is a very short life span for a post to be eligible to be reported. Maybe allowing reports from 2-3 years back would be more useful. For a long time now mods are not overwhelmed by the number of reports, therefore limiting the reports to only 6 months seems too short...

Yeah this means that if the post which is reported is six months old, the mods will not check it if it falls under the following reporting criteria.
We generally do not moderate posts this old for on-topicness, substantiveness, multi-posting, and other "cleanliness" issues.
However, it can still be acted upon if it is reported for plagiarism.
Activity: 994
Merit: 713
In the end, I have a small question about this part: We generally do not moderate posts this old for on-topicness -- shouldn't it be off-topicness instead of "on-topicness"?

However, thanks for updating us on this new feature implemented on the forum, but in regard to the statement given above, I think it would have been We generally do not moderate posts this old for off-topicness (i.e a post found to be off topic), and not We generally do not moderate posts this old for on-topicness (i.e a post found to be in line with the discussion and on point), because if a post is on-topic, I don't see any reason why someone will want to report it to moderators.

Secondly, I think the 6months time frame given for a post that can be reported is not a bad idea, at that will give moderators less load, and ability to act on every report very quickly.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 6524
Fully-fledged Merit Cycler|Spambuster'23|Pie Baker
It seems that a new addition was implemented by theymos, which is very useful for reporters: the age of a post.

As far as I see, this message

Old post: We generally do not moderate posts this old for on-topicness, substantiveness, multi-posting, and other "cleanliness" issues.

is displayed when attempting to report a post made more than 6 months ago.

When reporting posts made within past 6 months the message is not displayed.

Practically, this message is supposed to help both reporters and mods: reporters don't risk having their reports flagged as bad for reporting old posts (even though the respective posts needed to be reported) and mods don't have to moderate reports for posts older than 6 months, which reduces dramatically their workload.

For those unaware, those which used to report old posts risked to have their reports marked as bad. If I remember well, in 2021 or so, you could report posts from 2018 without risking having your reports flagged as bad, yet reporting posts from 2017 would lead to have your reports marked as bad.

So now this risk is mitigated. However, I believe that the 6 months is a very short life span for a post to be eligible to be reported. Maybe allowing reports from 2-3 years back would be more useful. For a long time now mods are not overwhelmed by the number of reports, therefore limiting the reports to only 6 months seems too short...

Nevertheless, the message is a great addition, especially for those aiming to reach / keep a high ratio of good reports. Thank you, theymos, for this implementation!

In the end, I have a small question about this part: We generally do not moderate posts this old for on-topicness -- shouldn't it be off-topicness instead of "on-topicness"?

Pages:
Jump to: