Pages:
Author

Topic: Greed - page 3. (Read 4022 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
August 01, 2012, 02:50:46 PM
I have read several posts on the forums recently where people talk about 'greed' with great disdain. I believe such a negative view of the word is unwarranted.

Greed can be a motivator for doing illegal and/or unethical actions. There is no doubt about that. However, greed is also one of the most powerful motivators for good.

Friedman sums it up perfectly in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWsx1X8PV_A

For those who many be new to bitcoins and/or unfamiliar with economics on a whole, I encourage you to at least watch some interviews and speeches given by Milton Friedman. If you have the time, start devouring all of his writings as well.

Greed is the destroyer of civilizations.  

Another whole scam that goes on in these ideologies is supplanting the word 'greed' with something which it is not.  Rational self interest =/= greed.  This is absurd.  Yet, of course, always, the nature of synthetic ideological systems is to attack language and this is no exception.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
August 01, 2012, 02:49:06 PM
Greed can be overdone, but so can fear.  The best path is the middle path.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
August 01, 2012, 02:38:51 PM
If not greed, then what is the cause of species going extinct or on the verge of going extinct due to poaching?

Sumatran rhino horn is now valued at $30,000 due to its dwindling supply. Nothing like a dwindling supply of Sumatran rhino horn, a sky rocketing price, coupled with greed to accelerate the demise of this species.
Activity: 277
Merit: 250
August 01, 2012, 02:00:04 PM
Yeah capitalism is the least shitty of all competing systems... That still doesn't mean it hasen't gone overboard and the rich will eventually own all and enslave all others.

legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
August 01, 2012, 01:18:42 PM
Since time immemorial and pre-industrial, 'greed' has been the accusation hurled at the rich by the concrete-bound illiterates who were unable to conceive of the source of wealth or of the motivation of those who produce it. - Ayn Rand
Activity: 602
Merit: 513
GLBSE Support [email protected]
August 01, 2012, 01:02:55 PM
"Greed is good" - Gordon Gecko.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!
August 01, 2012, 12:37:15 PM
I have read several posts on the forums recently where people talk about 'greed' with great disdain. I believe such a negative view of the word is unwarranted.

I think people disdains others who are in bitcoin for short term gain and being blind to scammers because of their stupid greed.

Yep.
legendary
Merit: 1014
August 01, 2012, 12:36:37 PM
Or their own 'stupid greed' for carelessly buying into questionable securities with hopes of great returns?

Basically that. I hope the wound licking will be quiet when it's all over.
Activity: 259
August 01, 2012, 12:35:48 PM

I think people disdains others who are in bitcoin for short term gain and being blind to scammers because of their stupid greed.

Who's 'stupid greed?' The scammer, for perpetrating the fraud? Or their own 'stupid greed' for carelessly buying into questionable securities with hopes of great returns?
legendary
Merit: 1014
August 01, 2012, 12:31:09 PM

legendary
Activity: 1316
Si vis pacem, para bellum
legendary
Activity: 1330
Bitcoin
August 01, 2012, 12:23:34 PM
Thanks for the video! he's right if we don't have greed someone else well.
Activity: 259
August 01, 2012, 12:21:51 PM

Greed can be a motivator for doing illegal and/or unethical actions. There is no doubt about that. However, greed is also one of the most powerful motivators for good.

Friedman sums it up perfectly in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWsx1X8PV_A

For those who many be new to bitcoins and/or unfamiliar with economics on a whole, I encourage you to at least watch some interviews and speeches given by Milton Friedman. If you have the time, start devouring all of his writings as well.
Pages:
Jump to: