Pages:
Author

Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod - page 38. (Read 156988 times)

ZiG
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
April 21, 2014, 11:15:39 PM
I modified the ORIGINAL image of Sandor111 ...(Thanks Sandor) :

With black lines are the points of interest from my post...R46 bridge (0 Ohm = short from schematics)...

R139...33K according to Sandor111 ...on Gridseed schematics is clearly marked as 27K...I never took a measurement on the actual board resistor...

R52 marking...and the corresponding resistor on the board...

If R139 is 33K...replace in my calculations "27K" ...with "33K"...

Any comments or questions are welcome...

Cheers,

ZiG

EDIT

@Sandor111...:
Hey Sandor...did you ACTUALLY measure these resistors values from the board itself...Please confirm...
April 21, 2014, 10:53:24 PM
can anyone actually confirm the value of the resistor removed for the mod?  Ive been looking at the schematic  and according to the schematic its a 127k resistor, but the bill of Materials has it as 33k?  also it isnt R52, in fact it R139 for anyone who is interested.

Guys...don't be fooled...

You are replacing R139...27k with higher value...47k to 51k... NOT R52...

R52 is in the Feedback Loop of the Voltage regulator...

Refer to the schematics...

I told them this...10 days ago...

Let me share this...:

From unpublished PM reply to Wolfey2014 from April 1 2014...(never sent to him...after looking at his "claims" to others people results and annoying adds all over the place)...:

DVDD+ adjustment -

1. First - cut the small bridge in place of R46...it is a trace on the main board...connecting to last pads to the left of VID0/1 resistors row (R63, R64, R66, R139 and non existing capacitors in between ) ...
2. Second - solder a resistor to these ( now separate ) pads with value = to desired value in the VID chain - 27K (R139) ...these resistors are in series...Rmod + R139 = Rtotal...

So... Rmod = Rtotal - 27K (R139) ...
Example...:
For Rtotal = 47K ...Rmod = 47K - 27K = 20K ...solder 20K in place of the R46 (bridge)
For Rtotal = 49K ...Rmod = 49K - 27K = 22K ...Solder 22K ...very standard value on the top of R46 pads...
etc...

From now on I will call this

"ZiG mod"

...because I don't mind sharing ...but don't want anybody like Wolfey2014 to claim that it is his/her... Wink

I have been experimenting with this since the beginning days of this thread...soldering the trim pod of 50K to R46 pads...this way the voltage to the chips can be adjusted smooth in 10-20mV small steps to check the hash rates...

Another advantage is that you DON"T NEED to remove ANY of the original components from the Gridseed...no de-soldering of R139 ...

And one more advantage is ...you CAN REVERSE the voltage mod to the ORIGINAL by simply removing the Rmod from R46 pads + restoring the bridge R46= 0 Ohm...or even simpler...making short on Rmod/R46...

Hope it is bringing more light ...and understanding of what Exactly are we all doing...Modding VID reference on the Voltage regulator chip of Gridseeds...That's it...!

Thanks for reading this...and ...Good luck modding...!

ZiG

Thanks Zig althought this post totally confused the hell out of me lol.... Now I am totally lost in regards to modding the Gridseed.

I thought the one best mod is to replace the position of R52 with 49.9K for a cool 1200MHz and roughly 510-515kH Although technically it may not be called R52 but this is all what we know it off as this is what states on the actual PCB board.

Some more instruction and pictures and detail about the "Zig mod" on how you can adjust the voltage in the 20mv steps..

Are you saying your mod works exactly like the Original mod but you can software adjust the voltage? and possibly reduce the voltage back to stock so some people can still dual mine?

Zig is 100% correct.

this is in line with the schematic.

The zig mod has great potential, in fact it would be a good way to test the limits for duel mining.
Activity: 420
April 21, 2014, 10:41:02 PM
can anyone actually confirm the value of the resistor removed for the mod?  Ive been looking at the schematic  and according to the schematic its a 127k resistor, but the bill of Materials has it as 33k?  also it isnt R52, in fact it R139 for anyone who is interested.

Let me share this...:

From unpublished PM reply to Wolfey2014 from April 1 2014...(never sent to him...after looking at his "claims" to others people results and annoying adds all over the place)...:

DVDD+ adjustment -

1. First - cut the small bridge in place of R46...it is a trace on the main board...connecting to last pads to the left of VID0/1 resistors row (R63, R64, R66, R139 and non existing capacitors in between ) ...
2. Second - solder a resistor to these ( now separate ) pads with value = to desired value in the VID chain - 27K (R139) ...these resistors are in series...Rmod + R139 = Rtotal...

Example...:
For Rtotal = 47K ...Rmod = 47K - 27K = 20K ...solder 20K in place of the R46 (bridge)
For Rtotal = 49K ...Rmod = 49K - 27K = 22K ...Solder 22K ...very standard value on the top of R46 pads...
etc...

"ZiG mod"

...because I don't mind sharing ...but don't want anybody like Wolfey2014 to claim that it is his/her... Wink

I have been experimenting with this since the beginning days of this thread...soldering the trim pod of 50K to R46 pads...this way the voltage to the chips can be adjusted smooth in 10-20mV small steps to check the hash rates...

Another advantage is that you DON"T NEED to remove ANY of the original components from the Gridseed...no de-soldering of R139 ...

And one more advantage is ...you CAN REVERSE the voltage mod to the ORIGINAL by simply removing the Rmod from R46 pads + restoring the bridge R46= 0 Ohm...or even simpler...making short on Rmod/R46...

Hope it is bringing more light ...and understanding of what Exactly are we all doing...Modding VID reference on the Voltage regulator chip of Gridseeds...That's it...!

ZiG

Thanks Zig althought this post totally confused the hell out of me lol.... Now I am totally lost in regards to modding the Gridseed.

I thought the one best mod is to replace the position of R52 with 49.9K for a cool 1200MHz and roughly 510-515kH Although technically it may not be called R52 but this is all what we know it off as this is what states on the actual PCB board.

Some more instruction and pictures and detail about the "Zig mod" on how you can adjust the voltage in the 20mv steps..

Are you saying your mod works exactly like the Original mod but you can software adjust the voltage? and possibly reduce the voltage back to stock so some people can still dual mine?

EDIT : I just read your EDIT - Congrats on the switch this is what I was talking about in the other thread - AWESOME and congrats again!! although this is perfect it may be alittle hard for the average person am I correct?

I would rather just solder 49.9k on the R46 pads seems much easier, but there is not much detail around this. Is the results exactly like the last confirmed vmod3? 510KH @ 1200Mhs <0-5hw per day if any.

By default upon soldering the new chip on r46 is it EXACTLY like vmod3 without doing anything? And how do you adjust the voltage? Via Software?

April 21, 2014, 10:40:36 PM
interesting. I will be trying this on my next unit!

This question is if R139 is 27, or 33K

If you zoom in on the schematic you can see the schematic has its value as 127K

however if you look at the bill of materials (https://github.com/gridseed/usb-miner/blob/master/hardware/GC3355%20USB%20BOM.xlsx) you can see the value of R139 is 33K

Does anyone have a datasheet on the UP1509?
ZiG
April 21, 2014, 10:26:41 PM

Let me share this...:

DVDD+ adjustment -

Example...:
etc...

"ZiG mod"

I have been experimenting with this since the beginning days of this thread...soldering the trim pot of 50K to R46 pads...this way the voltage to the chips can be adjusted smooth in 10-20mV small steps to check the hash rates...

ZiG

Edit...:   Some body was exploring the idea of external small switch ( Like DIP switch to be able to go in "MOD/Overclocked" to "Normal/Stock" speed ...I have that switch soldered at the ends of my trim pod ...and it is doing exactly that...MODE SW "OC/Turbo - Stock/Normal"... using the short of R46...or trim pot value...

Enjoy...  
Activity: 93
Merit: 10
April 21, 2014, 08:34:49 PM
What frequency setting are you using for the the two that won't submit shares?  Is it the same frequency as the others or lower?  Individual Gridseed vary in the amount they can be overclocked.

I have tried multiple frequency from 700 to 1175.  I have also loaded a fresh image of scripta.

I'm having trouble with 2 units not submitting shares after doing the 47K mod.  One of the units was submitting shares until I did a power cycle.  I managed to get it to submit some more shares after pushing the reset button on the PCB but the unit just stopped again.  I have checked and I'm getting 1.63V across the resistor, and continuity to the regulator.  Im using scripta on a pi to control the units.

I have another 10 modded units running fine.

Has anyone else had the same problem and found a fix?

Try different usb cable, try different usb port, try different power barrel connector , reset miner  let us know how that goes

I have tried all these and nothing.  Is there a correct procedure for resting the units?  I simply pressed the reset button while i had 12V power connected.

I let the units run overnight and still 0 shares submitted.  I will try disconnecting the units for a couple of hours.

I am running at 1200 Mhz  each of my miners with the 49.9 resistors. They are working great.
April 21, 2014, 07:45:13 PM
can anyone actually confirm the value of the resistor removed for the mod?  Ive been looking at the schematic  and according to the schematic its a 127k resistor, but the bill of Materials has it as 33k?  also it isnt R52, in fact it R139 for anyone who is interested.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
April 21, 2014, 07:08:59 PM

OK guys, I was using BFGminer to have both seeds in one instance. But this was not working It was showing 1000 KH/s on bfgminer, but mining pools where showing an average of 400 KH/s.

I got sick of it and change to CPU Miner, running one instance per each gridseed. Now I am hashing on the Mining Pool side at 850 to 1010 KH/s

I EVEN FOUND 2 BLOCKS! am i supposed to get credit for finding blocks?
I am happy

Yup, you had the exact same problem as me with BFGminer. showing 1000 on bfg but only 300/400 on pool.

went on CPUminer and got 850 to 1100 and found alot of shares, blocks.

Now if CPU miner was fixed to show KH/s it will be perfect

Take a look at my cpuminer fork, it has hashrate display along with many unique features.

CPUMiner fork? please elaborate.

Look up please.
April 21, 2014, 07:05:39 PM

OK guys, I was using BFGminer to have both seeds in one instance. But this was not working It was showing 1000 KH/s on bfgminer, but mining pools where showing an average of 400 KH/s.

I got sick of it and change to CPU Miner, running one instance per each gridseed. Now I am hashing on the Mining Pool side at 850 to 1010 KH/s

I am happy

Yup, you had the exact same problem as me with BFGminer. showing 1000 on bfg but only 300/400 on pool.

Take a look at my cpuminer fork, it has hashrate display along with many unique features.

CPUMiner fork? please elaborate.
April 21, 2014, 04:41:09 PM
What frequency setting are you using for the the two that won't submit shares?  Is it the same frequency as the others or lower?  Individual Gridseed vary in the amount they can be overclocked.

I have tried multiple frequency from 700 to 1175.  I have also loaded a fresh image of scripta.

I'm having trouble with 2 units not submitting shares after doing the 47K mod.  One of the units was submitting shares until I did a power cycle.  I managed to get it to submit some more shares after pushing the reset button on the PCB but the unit just stopped again.  I have checked and I'm getting 1.63V across the resistor, and continuity to the regulator.  Im using scripta on a pi to control the units.

Try different usb cable, try different usb port, try different power barrel connector , reset miner  let us know how that goes

I have tried all these and nothing.  Is there a correct procedure for resting the units?  I simply pressed the reset button while i had 12V power connected.

I let the units run overnight and still 0 shares submitted.  I will try disconnecting the units for a couple of hours.
April 21, 2014, 04:33:09 PM
I encourage everyone that wants this CPUminer fork for windows ( like me ) to write to http://cryptomining-blog.com

they have been compiling ones before and worked great. Hopefully if enough ask them they will do it with this one

+1
Activity: 308
April 21, 2014, 04:28:35 PM
I encourage everyone that wants this CPUminer fork for windows ( like me ) to write to http://cryptomining-blog.com

they have been compiling ones before and worked great. Hopefully if enough ask them they will do it with this one
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
April 21, 2014, 04:23:26 PM

I am happy

I've been using CPU miner on my gBlade.  Last time I checked my hashrate was about 2900 x 2 server side. This is with freq at 850mhz.

Would like to test your fork, but I'm on windows.

April 21, 2014, 01:25:17 PM

I am happy

April 21, 2014, 01:19:06 PM

I am happy

Activity: 308
April 21, 2014, 01:16:03 PM

I am happy

April 21, 2014, 01:06:36 PM

https://github.com/siklon/usb-miner/tree/master/software/cpuminer

Short summary:
* Added hashrate statistics
* Added auto per-chip frequency tuning
* Added JSON API at port 4028 -> send {"get":"stats"} to get stats for each miner/chip
* Input any frequency you want

Code:
-G, --gc3355=DEV0,DEV1,...,DEVn      enable GC3355 chip mining mode (default: no)
  -F, --freq=FREQUENCY  set GC3355 core frequency in NONE dual mode (default: 600)
  -f, --gc3355-freq=DEV0:F0,DEV1:F1,...,DEVn:Fn      individual frequency setting
  -A, --gc3355-autotune  auto overclocking each GC3355 chip (default: no)

It should work on Rpi, but I haven't tested it yet.

I would be very thankful if anyone could find out why some pools don't work with my cpuminer fork, I have been debugging a long time to no avail...

That is great!  Wish I new enough to help with debugging.

sandor - just to confirm, is this for single mode operation only or both single and dual?

That is for single mining only.
Issue with reject on some pools has been fixed BTW.

Is there anyone with a Gridseed blade that wants to help me add support for it?
April 21, 2014, 01:01:52 PM
Here is Mine, Is this good? Just the one resistor replaced with a 49. at 1200 Mhz.  Am I pushing too hard> will I damage my Gridseeds?

2            |  1.04/ 1.02/ 0.54Mh/s | A:115 R:5+0(none) HW:0/none
--------------------------------------------------------------------
 GSD 0:       | 510.6/502.5/261.7kh/s | A: 56 R:3+0(none) HW:0/none
 GSD 1:       | 510.6/500.3/283.9kh/s | A: 61 R:2+0(none) HW:0/none

I noticed that My Miners are accepting more when they are just starting. Could this be a signal telling us that I need to lower frequency? Or is this a Mining Pool issue?

DOnt look at the pool, if you have been mining for awhile you will know dont even bother, pools are never accurate.

I only ever trust the miner, Cgminer is great for checking accepted, Rejected, WU shares, Hashrate.

Pool stats are exactly what you want to pay attention to. The stats you see are what are being used to determine how much money you make!
It's local stats that don't matter, there.
Local stats tell you what your miner's performance is and they too are inaccurate in that it's determined by the way the program is written and how it calculates hash rates in the first place.
I find cpuminer is the most stable and trouble free of them all even though it doesn't' show local hash rates. So what! That's not the stat that tells you what you're gonna get paid pool side anyway.

I am not talking in regards of getting paid here,Your going to get paid either way at the end of the day! Im talking about tweaking your miner and ACTUAL miner performance.. mann I am looking at the pool and sometimes it shows 2000KH more than my actual miners is showing you think I am going to believe that shit ?? LOL so no I wouldnt pay attention at the pool in regards of tuning your miners, Pool hasrate is all over the place and absolutely ridiculous to check your actual miner performance against.

I am not used to this, coming from GPU land lol Not once have I heard people checking the miner performance in a pool Yes obviously the pool is where you get paid but that does not mean that is what your miner is performing at.

I am happy
Activity: 420
April 21, 2014, 10:37:49 AM
I'm having trouble with 2 units not submitting shares after doing the 47K mod.  One of the units was submitting shares until I did a power cycle.  I managed to get it to submit some more shares after pushing the reset button on the PCB but the unit just stopped again.  I have checked and I'm getting 1.63V across the resistor, and continuity to the regulator.  Im using scripta on a pi to control the units.

Try different usb cable, try different usb port, try different power barrel connector , reset miner  let us know how that goes
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
April 21, 2014, 10:11:30 AM
What frequency setting are you using for the the two that won't submit shares?  Is it the same frequency as the others or lower?  Individual Gridseed vary in the amount they can be overclocked.
Pages:
Jump to: