Pages:
Author

Topic: [Group Buy #5] ASIC chip design funded by the people keep BTC decentralized - page 3. (Read 3069 times)

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
So how do you think will that work? I mean some percent above chip production price is ok but the millions for creating a working design and the chips has to be spent too. You need a mass of people to invest. And the question is how long will the chips be worth something after that.

I only have a hard time imagining how this could work financially. I mean the big guys with the thousands of bitcoins most probably came together to create their own chip. If they hadnt enough they created something like 100TH IPO, gave some breadcrumbs back to their investors and had their own mining chip practically for free at the end.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1058
The OGz Club
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1058
The OGz Club
This is something that I have pondered and have wanted to setup for quite some time before I open this I want to hear opinions.

As we all know we have funded various companies from BFL to KNC to the several other companies that have popped up accepting pre-orders I have ran group buys and seen first hand how this operates I am not entirely fond of being used by a company for them to reap the benefits of the hardware that we paid for to build.

What this group buy is going to be meant for is the design and fabrication of a chip that is sold for a small % above manufacture costs which will be equally distributed between everyone who helps fund this and provides resources to make it happen. It will be a bitcoin only funded project and completely open source.

Anyone here on bitcointalk.org interested in offering the first chip that is not sold at 1000% above production cost to help bring back and keep bitcoin decentralized? If not please post your reason why if you are up for it lets do what the bitcoin foundation should have done a long time ago. I'm very eager to hear responses as this is a rather large project and is going to require a vast amount of funding.
Pages:
Jump to: