Pages:
Author

Topic: Grow your own food - page 3. (Read 2548 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
March 05, 2014, 08:26:29 PM
Corn is omnipresent in quite a bit of food - corn syrup is a cheap alternative to sugar.

A few years ago, I took 4 8x6 boards, and made an 8foot square, it's my garden. The countdown is about a month away from planting tomatoes, and I already have spinach and sugar snap peas growing.

I'm a big fan of growing your food, although obviously my small plot isn't going to be more than a small percentage of my total intake.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Small Red and Bad
March 05, 2014, 08:16:40 PM
My father used to do that but recently, as he got older, doesn't have the strenght to work in the garden. My dream is to be completely independent of governments and the poison they serve us, but this would require a good location, preferably with runing water, that could be also used to power a generator. Food prices are getting higher and quality drops. I read somewhere that Americans eat GMO corn in almost every meal, even drink it in their cola.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002
You cannot kill love
March 05, 2014, 07:14:27 PM
There are a number of reasons you should do this and there wouldn't be a better time to get started than now.

1. Nearly all food in supermarkets are GMOs and chalk full of pesticides at the least.  Save yourself and your family the trouble of ingesting toxins.
2. Self sufficiency starts at home, if we all grew our own food we would be able to sustain our own lives even in the presence of scarcity.
3. It is both relaxing and enjoying to take a break from destroying life and creating life instead.
4. You will save money by growing your own crops.
5. The produce will be as fresh as it gets.

If you have the land to grow food, I implore you to do so.  Maybe even talk to your neighbors and promote a food sharing network between each other.

This is Switzerland, maybe it's time we did the same:

Pages:
Jump to: