Pages:
Author

Topic: Growth, Interest and Wage Inequality - To the austrian economists here - page 4. (Read 5995 times)

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol
Interesting topic, lets speculate a bit.

Interest is strongly determined by economic growth.

True most of the time (growth tends to increase savings, which in turn determines interest rates), but its not the only factor that affects interest rates.

If there was no growth and no interest, the wage spread between trained and untrained workers would partly vanish

Without giving it too much though, I would say that such situation would produce a halt to the development of the specialization and the division of labour. But not necesarely reduce inequality. You have to think that scientific and technological advances produce growth and also can help mitigate inequality instead of creating more. When unqualified workers have access to new machinery they produce more and can bargain for better wages. In fact, technological development a lot of times eliminates the need for a set of qualified workers (usually by creating another type of qualified workers).

It dont think its as easy as you paint it. It can go both ways.
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
Hi all,

one night I came up with the following idea: Interest is strongly determined by economic growth. So Interest is bound to returns of capital investments but also returns of human capital investments. If there was no growth and no interest, the wage spread between trained and untrained workers would partly vanish, since education costs (credit costs) are (near) zero and returns of human capital tend to be zero. So growth actually is causal for part of wage inequality (in a not harmful way).

Of course I like to debate about this topic if you highly disagree Smiley but primarily I would like to ask this (uniquely well read in austrian economics) community, whether and where a similar line of thought can be found in the vast literature of austrian economics because I don't want to claim this my own briliant idea, if it is know for hundred years Smiley

any hint appreciated!
Pages:
Jump to: