Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] How to run up to 13 GPUs on most motherboards - page 2. (Read 1016 times)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0
What the reason to install GPT, but not MBR ?
Activity: 413
Merit: 17
After lots of researching, trial and error, I have managed to run 10 GPUs on my ASRock X99 Extreme6 using two PCI-E multipliers for $12 each off eBay or AliExpress. It's likely that I'll be able to run up to 13 if I had more cards.

You need:
  • Linux or Windows 10 with 1709 update
  • Above 4G Decoding enabled
  • If using Windows - install it on UEFI mode with GPT partition table
  • PCI-E set to Gen1 or Gen2
  • Intel motherboard on H61 chipset or newer; AMD motherboards with UEFI.
If you are missing either of these prerequisites, it is quite possible that it won't work. Motherboards without Above 4G decoding can run up to 6 GPUs, more are unlikely. Older motherboards with a legacy BIOS can run up to 4-5 cards max, assuming that you don't encounter IRQ issues. The hard limit seems to be 13 regular cards, unknown more mining cards.

Potential issues:
  • If your install is on Legacy MBR mode - you can convert it without data loss using the built-in MBR2GPT.
  • If some of the cards are missing - make sure that they're not in Device Manager - Other devices and waiting to have their driver installed.
  • If the cards are recognized but output error codes in Device Manager - try nuking your driver using DDU and then reinstall it. Make sure that you patch the AMD driver if you are BIOS modded.
  • If the doesn't boot or doesn't recognize the cards altogether - try switching the PCI-E slot. My motherboard refuses to boot if I plug the multiplier on the first PCI-E x16.

More troubleshooting tips - try updating the BIOS to a newer version, disable unneeded peripherals (audio, additional SATA controllers, whatever), disable iGPU, set PCI-E to a different Gen, even reset the CMOS. HackFlags registry trick might work but I've never tried it.

YMMV, of course - please let me know if it worked for you. So far I've tried it on ASRock X99 Extreme6 and Gigabyte GA-H110-D3A (>6 cards), MSI H110M PRO-VD and several other mATX motherboards for 6 cards.

Donations:
BTC: 1P4oRbB76QGw3dzmhcxSFo1B9pxSswipfs
BCH: 1M6TaEKzKYQEQdoBXRbPhzm3m23iYxFhyU
ETH: 0x2211d972934ec7a66225883355e9d23f848f634a
ETC: 0x64b30f6f1acd4ab9f1e5d6da7e7d9d22d506c8c4
Pages:
Jump to: