Pages:
Author

Topic: [GUIDE] Recycle Antminer As Home Heater - page 2. (Read 388 times)

Activity: 291
Merit: 73
January 25, 2023, 02:08:13 AM
you can also remove one Hashboard and put a HP 750W Server PSU (HSTNS ) inside  Grin

Activity: 938
Merit: 642
Magic
January 24, 2023, 03:44:06 PM
I made a few threads a while back on these as heaters.

you can use brains with only 1 fan set to 30%
If you set to around 500 watts and don't use an ant miner apw3 psu

I did some testing with just one fan to see if the noise will decrease. In my testing the benefit was quite small or didnt even exist. Do you think there is a benefit with just on fan or could this be also be done with two fans? Two fans will have the benefit of a fail save in case you loose one fan. It may be paranoid, but I have seen to many pictures of burned down S9s  Undecided

use the corsair 1000rmx it is very quiet at 600 watts.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-series-rm1000x-cp-9020201-na-rf-1000-w/p/N82E16817139298?

it gets very quiet. nice space heater. it will do around 6th

That is a very good addition, since indeed the power supply will be the noisiest part of the system if the fan is not modified. Do they supply all the needed cables?

You can use an original firmware, original unmodifed miner, Canaan A851

that will do about 9TH/s with 900W (like I've done for years)

The fact that there's no hardware or firmware modifications necessary at all, also makes it a lot safer and easier.

That is also a good tip and may be a good alternative if you dont already own an S9.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
January 24, 2023, 05:54:29 AM
You can use an original firmware, original unmodifed miner, Canaan A851

that will do about 9TH/s with 900W (like I've done for years)

The fact that there's no hardware or firmware modifications necessary at all, also makes it a lot safer and easier.
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
January 23, 2023, 07:06:59 PM
I made a few threads a while back on these as heaters.

you can use brains with only 1 fan set to 30%
If you set to around 500 watts and don't use an ant miner apw3 psu

use the corsair 1000rmx it is very quiet at 600 watts.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-series-rm1000x-cp-9020201-na-rf-1000-w/p/N82E16817139298?

it gets very quiet. nice space heater. it will do around 6th
Activity: 938
Merit: 642
Magic
January 23, 2023, 06:31:49 PM
I. Introduction
This guide is intended for anyone interested in heating their home with the waste heat from a Bitcoin miner. In the meantime, used ASIC miners have dropped in price so much that they have become attractive as a replacement for electric heaters. The advantage of a Bitcoin miner compared to an electric heater is obvious: Not only does it generate almost the same amount of heat as a heater, but it also allows Bitcoin mining. A well-suited Bitcoin miner for such an undertaking is the Antminer S9, which has become increasingly affordable in recent times and is now available for under 200 USD. (Even under 50 USD if you buy in large quantities)

II. Necessary changes
1) Brains OS+
By default, the Antminer S9 outputs 13 TH's and requires 1300 watts of power to do so (= approx. 1300 watts of heating power). In this standard configuration, however, the miner can only be used for heating to a limited extent, as it is extremely noisy. Only the heating of an uninhabited building comes into consideration here.
However, if the Brains OS+ software is installed, the power consumption can be controlled precisely. Up to a power consumption of about 600 watts, the included fans have to run with only 1% (!) of the maximum speed in my case. The noise development is accordingly very low. The miner still performs about 7.5 THs at this power consumption.
What bothers me about Brain's OS+ is the fan behavior at startup: The fans briefly turn to 100% and only turn down after about 15 seconds. This behavior is due to the design and cannot be controlled via the software. (Link to the topic: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/stop-fans-from-going-100-at-startup-braiins-os-5417649) However, this is annoying if the miner is to be switched on and off frequently, which is necessary to be able to regulate the temperature reasonably.
Note: Brains OS+ will take a small percentage of your hashrate as "development fee". You can find more informations and alternative software in the forum.

2) External fan control
If you want the fans to run with 1% of the speed already at startup, you have to modify the miner further. For this purpose an external fan controller is used. I chose this one: https://www.amazon.de/MEIRIYFA-Adapter-Chassis-Splitter-Controller/dp/B09MN4BMPK/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=Pc+Fan+Controller+Pwm&qid=1670259225&s=industrial&sr=1-11 . This can be connected directly to the existing power supply with a 6 pin splitter.
In the Brains OS+ software, "Immersion Mode" is now selected and the correct fan speed is set using the knob on the fan controller. The fan speed is now fixed to this value and is immediately applied as soon as the miner gets power. Since the control can now no longer take place dynamically, the miner shuts down at the "Hot" temperature set in Brains OS+ for safety.
I (and many others) used their miner successfully with Brains' third-party software. However, I cannot guarantee that the software will shut down the miner reliably. If the miner does not shut down when the temperature is exceeded, there is a significant fire hazard!

3) Modified fans
Lastly, the fans of the miner can be replaced by using the separate fan control and using the "immersion mode" in Brains OS+. The Fan Control is needed, because  without it the miner will stop to run due to an error message. However, I have not been able to gain any experience here yet, as the only fans I currently have available are too weak for the Antminer. If anyone here has any experience, feel free to share it.
The fan of the power supply can also be replaced. But you have to be very careful, because the power supply has to be cooled very well.

III. pictures

The fan control in detail:

In this case you can see an example on how you can integrate this setup, but keep in mind that a very good air flow must be maintained at all times!

I hope I could help some of you with this little guide, who are thinking about using a Bitcoin Miner instead of an electric heater. It is important to make sure that the Bitcoin Miner does not exceed the prescribed temperatures and is well ventilated. Everyone has to decide for himself if he wants to run a Bitcoin Miner unattended permanently at home. There is always a certain risk of fire!
Pages:
Jump to: