Pages:
Author

Topic: Guidelines for Press board - page 2. (Read 124331 times)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0
February 19, 2014, 01:43:18 PM
It's much more easier to navigate the articles when they are in their own section
Activity: 30
January 13, 2014, 03:27:26 AM
I thing in here and in the other forum post also about format, it should be clarified once more, that the date to use should be that of the actual original article publishing date and not the member posting date like many are keep doing.
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
October 26, 2013, 12:36:37 PM
When I see Goat as the last poster in anything, I tend to read it as he is one of my most respected members (like TOP-5 in 151,000)...

...then I see this kind of infantile rant, making me think "what the flying fcuk is goin' on here"
Activity: 574
Merit: 501
Please bear with me
October 25, 2013, 09:47:18 PM
Ephebus: What a childish tantrum. Run along, kid, go play with other kids - seems like civilized discussion is too much for you to handle.
Activity: 57
October 25, 2013, 09:02:22 PM
I think it is important to add to the guidelines that posters in this section should not create locked or self-moderated threads. Free and open discussion of the linked articles is very important, and moderation should be left to properly authorized moderators.

Self-moderation will inevitably lead to endless censorship accusations, recriminations and flames - as we have seen recently when one poster refused to eliminate the dupe post because the earlier post linking to the same article was self-moderated.

I 100 percent agree. No need to censor the press section. Thanks

Edit. This is not currently being followed. Ill give it a few days then start making non self moderated threads so the mods can get rid of the self moderated ones.

Thx

Let me break it down to you. You're a dog eating Thai scum. Your kind is not even part of the human race. Your subspecies shouldn't even be allowed to leave the boundaries of the shithole you call a country. If I ever get the chance to kill a single Thai, Cambodian or Vietnamese piece of subhuman garbage before I die, I'll die knowing I did something good for mankind.  
Activity: 57
October 25, 2013, 08:55:07 PM
I think it is important to add to the guidelines that posters in this section should not create locked or self-moderated threads. Free and open discussion of the linked articles is very important, and moderation should be left to properly authorized moderators.

Self-moderation will inevitably lead to endless censorship accusations, recriminations and flames - as we have seen recently when one poster refused to eliminate the dupe post because the earlier post linking to the same article was self-moderated.

Translation: you're butthurt because I'm the author of most topics on the Press forum and because I post most articles before you do. Don't worry, I'm requesting that my account here be cancelled and you may have your little "kingdom" back.
Activity: 574
Merit: 501
Please bear with me
October 25, 2013, 07:40:31 PM

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
September 19, 2013, 08:28:28 PM
I consider it very poor form for an ordinary user on the Press Board to post a thread and then lock it... even if you do feel the conversation has gone off topic.   Leave it to the mods.

When you notify us of a press hit in this board - you don't 'own' the topic.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003
June 29, 2013, 01:36:02 PM
tbh, I don't think the volume on the press topic is too high. One can also very quickly tell wether or not bitcoin is only mentioned or wether the article is mainly about bitcoin without even having to click through to the article.

I'd hate to have to check 2 threads instead of 1 and would prefer to keeps things as they are for now.

+1
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
June 17, 2013, 04:59:36 PM
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking.
Use the date the article was published, put it at the beginning of the thread title so it's formated like YYYY-MM-DD -

If you forgot, you can always click the edit button on the right hand side then fix the title.
Thanks for helping to maintain the press section.

Edit: I get what you are asking now. I believe using a date format that sorts alphabetically is best.
        See my thread here for one example of what is possible when we do this: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/chart-press-section-statistics-189611

I see did not know we used it to calculate trend data that comes in handy formatted edits my post so it can be added to the data-list
Thanks Kiko
Activity: 453
Merit: 250
June 17, 2013, 04:22:25 PM
I'm not 100% sure what you're asking.
Use the date the article was published, put it at the beginning of the thread title so it's formated like YYYY-MM-DD -

If you forgot, you can always click the edit button on the right hand side then fix the title.
Thanks for helping to maintain the press section.

Edit: I get what you are asking now. I believe using a date format that sorts alphabetically is best.
        See my thread here for one example of what is possible when we do this: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/chart-press-section-statistics-189611
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
June 17, 2013, 04:12:24 PM
Clarification requested
When regarding date's is it better to source the format of the article if they use a date or the bitcointalk thread
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=232909.new#new

Want to check on Kiba's point for technical rules
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Hodl regularly and often!
May 28, 2013, 12:47:49 PM
Here is one that gives a great overview of Bitcoin:

http://voices.yahoo.com/bitcoin-boom-other-currency-12134875.html

Activity: 453
Merit: 250
April 07, 2013, 06:20:33 PM
A suggestion: I think it would be beneficial to also designate each press story as generally positive (+) or generally negative (-) in its attitude toward Bitcoin. Then we could aggregate the positive and negative totals by month or by week, and keep track of the overall trend in a separate thread.

A locked down 'best-of-the-best' thread would be a great resource to point new people to. I don't think we really need to give negative grades out to all the others.

Also a thread of just the video clips would be great. I think it would run to a few hours now! They could run it on a loop it at the conference next month.

But before we get to any of that, can we get some more moderators for the Press sub-forum? It's getting a little unruly with the high volume of news.

It would be good to clean up all the titles so an alphabetical sort will actually get you a proper chronological feed of the news, regardless of comments etc. Can moderators edit titles on this platform?
Activity: 28
April 07, 2013, 02:48:56 AM
A suggestion: I think it would be beneficial to also designate each press story as generally positive (+) or generally negative (-) in its attitude toward Bitcoin. Then we could aggregate the positive and negative totals by month or by week, and keep track of the overall trend in a separate thread.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
January 12, 2013, 05:52:38 AM
tbh, I don't think the volume on the press topic is too high. One can also very quickly tell wether or not bitcoin is only mentioned or wether the article is mainly about bitcoin without even having to click through to the article.

I'd hate to have to check 2 threads instead of 1 and would prefer to keeps things as they are for now.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
January 11, 2013, 06:29:12 PM
As always, comments and suggestions welcome!

As Bitcoin permeates through more and more of the conversations by the news media, journalists and bloggers the number of posts here is increasing dramatically.  Some of these have very little to do with Bitcoin itself.  

For instance, here's an article that didn't specifically mention Bitcoin by name but the reference to "crypto currency" followed shortly with a SR reference means this certainly was a Bitcoin mention:

Insights into Cultural Shifts from a Visit to a Hardware Store
 - http://www.caseyresearch.com/articles/insights-cultural-shifts-visit-hardware-store

Even though it is a great article, I don't think it is worthy of inclusion in the Press board here on the BitcoinTalk forum.  Bitcoin was simply just a mention in the article.

But yet a catalog of all the different mentions of bitcoin might be useful.  Perhaps a thread titled something like "Minor Mentions" would be more appropriate for posting links to articles and posts where Bitcoin (or a Bitcoin-related item) was mentioned but where Bitcoin was not necessarily a significant part of the article.

Here's another example:

2013-01-11 WorldCrunch.com - SILK ROAD: DEEP INSIDE THE INTERNET HIDES A BOOMING
 - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/2013-01-11-worldcrunchcom-silk-road-deep-inside-the-internet-hides-a-booming-135976

That article was about SR only.  It did mention Bitcoin but it too was a small part of the story.

Or am I trying to fix something that isn't broke and including them in this "big net" Press board is something that works fine currently and should continue to be fine for the foreseeable future?
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
August 16, 2012, 12:06:50 AM
Hi Jeff,  I'm wondering why you chose this particular day to lock the other topic and start this one?

Did you know just yesterday http://bitcoinpress.com was launched with a similar intent?

Perhaps only coincidence.

There are only 3 titles in that site and all are from mid-April. Thank god no one waited around for that.

Yes, because the reorganization of the Press Hits on this forum kind of killed the site idea just a little.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
July 11, 2012, 08:43:51 PM
Hi Jeff,  I'm wondering why you chose this particular day to lock the other topic and start this one?

Did you know just yesterday http://bitcoinpress.com was launched with a similar intent?

Perhaps only coincidence.

There are only 3 titles in that site and all are from mid-April. Thank god no one waited around for that.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
July 10, 2012, 10:40:09 PM
Not sure how it ought to be titled, but bitcoin gets mentioned several times in We Are Anonymous: Inside the Hacker World of LulzSec, Anonymous, and the Global Cyber Insurgency.
Pages:
Jump to: