Pages:
Author

Topic: GYFT.COM: wonder why you'd never heard of it before? - page 2. (Read 3100 times)

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!
Hmm. Looks like you've overreached.

The most troublesome issue here (to my mind) is issue #4.

Yet I just used Tor AND private browsing to access their website. Seemed to work fine for me.

FUD much?
Activity: 129
Merit: 100
previously founder & CEO of Yola.com

Another website nobody has heard of.  Are you sure he wasn't also CEO of hamster-dance.com?

I met him in South Africa last year.  I trust him. It's not a trap. So don't worry.

Gee, I can't tell you how much that comforts me.
Activity: 95
Merit: 10
Vinny Lingham, the founder of Gyft (previously founder & CEO of Yola.com), is actually quite respectable guy. I met him when he did a talk at our media lab in South Africa last year. He's got too much reputation to risk. I trust him. It's not a trap. So don't worry.
For all you out there preparing for your college entrance exams, the analogy goes like this:

GYFT.COM is to BTCBUY.INFO as RIPPLE is to BITCOIN
Honestly I've yet to use qr codes in a practical everyday life sort of way (yet).

Lemme get this straight, you're posting on a bitcoin forum, claiming QR codes have no practical use?

Troll harder, buddy.

Or join the herd.  Ducks are easily herded.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
It seems you haven't heard of these magical things called "QR codes".
Honestly I've yet to use qr codes in a practical everyday life sort of way (yet). most qr codes i've run across are ads to "find out more!" about stuff marketers are trying to pedel in web 2.0 (or like dotcom a decade before) fashion.
a digital place to store all your giftcards?

apparently you have never heard of these things called "QR codes".
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
i think it's a great idea. a digital place to store all your giftcards? I carry a wallet with only slots for three cards so that I will never feel inclined to carry gift or loyalty cards or anything of the sort. an app that can store the code to a gift card i have that can check with corporate account balances would be a total game changer, and would kill all those unoriginal giftcard exchange website ideas my entrepreneurship class had
Let's count the ways:

1. They sell "gift cards" that can't be transferred to somebody who hasn't installed their app.

2. Their app asks for an unbelievable number of unnecessary permissions from your phone.

3. They only let you use it on a mobile phone registered to a US cellular network (aka stingray compatible).

4. Visit the website with private browsing enabled and the site blocks you out with a message saying "This app does not support private browsing. Please turn it off and try again." (this is their website, not their app).  And that's just private browsing -- forget about anything like Tor.

5. They insist on friending you on the facebooks or googling you or tweetering at you before you can use their service.

6. FINCEN just made a big stink about gift cards (which are convertible virtual currencies and therefore unambiguously subject to FIN-2013-G001) being exchanged without a "paper trail", putting a bunch of giftcard-for-bitcoin businesses, (many of which were bitpay customers), out of business.

And BOOM this company nobody's heard of before, with a product that is a solution-looking-for-a-problem (who wants gift cards that are worthless without a smartphone? what's wrong with QR codes?) flies out of Jen Calvery's ass.

It's not a conspiracy, since that requires actual deception or secrecy.  Instead, you're simply being herded.

Maybe, just maybe:

Pages:
Jump to: