Pages:
Author

Topic: hackers can steal data wirelessly from pcs that arent even online - page 2. (Read 3840 times)

Activity: 1106
Merit: 527
Together with the entire computer were stolen?
Aha that's not a hacker, called a thief  Roll Eyes
donator
Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012
but are there other ways to also disable graphics card to prevent the attack described here?

The article didn't say what kind of graphics card and cable would be most susceptible to being used as an FM transmitter to leak the data - VGA, DVI, HDMI, RGB? I am willing to bet that it only works reasonably well on one of these types of cables, and not so well on the others. So find out which one and use that cable. It would also be reasonable to assume that using a laptop computer or some other type of computing device that does not have a long video cable would greatly mitigate this kind of attack.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
Anyone here want to buy a tin-foil hat? Made to measure. I accept bit-coin.
legendary
Activity: 906
Merit: 1002
You realize that only works if someone has PHYSICAL access to the device with the cold storage? With physical access, it's easier for a thief to steal the wallet file, regardless if it had internet or not.

Cracking the password to the wallet is another story.
Right. If a hacker had physical access then they might as well make a copy of the hard drive and/or outright steal your computer in an attempt to steal your wallet files. This would make more sense then going through the hassle of taking data wirelessly as I would imagine that many people would tend to have somewhat easy to crack passwords on computers that hold cold storage wallets
Activity: 672
This hack needs a virus, a receiver/transmitter near the video cable and a phone to download. If a hacker has so much access to the target machine, it is easier for him to actually steal the data when he plugs the usb drive in the computer.

I was expecting something like the "wirelessly steal data device" from Prison Break season 4 Cheesy
Activity: 688
ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!
Does this include the following?

- Reading some words/digits in the online computer.
- Walking to the airgapped one.
- Manually typing the memorized words/digits on the keyboard.

It's effectively a data transfer but the bad guys would have a really hard time trying to compromise the airgap through it. Of course it's inconvenient as hell but we all know that's the price you pay for security Smiley.
I guess you might get away with that... Wink

But I don't think the risk is quite zero. Probably minuscule enough though.
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
brain scans can infer thoughts from nerve activity required to talk.

Ouch. Could you give some reference to this?
Activity: 518
Hodl!
And practise thinking in an unspoken language, now that brain scans can infer thoughts from nerve activity required to talk.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
The only safe machine for cold storage is an Altair
That and your brain. A key to an address is just information after all.
Activity: 518
Hodl!
The only safe machine for cold storage is an Altair, where you hand toggle the wallet program and keys in on the front panel.  Tongue

And never use a VDU with it, makes it harder to Van Eck.

And always do 3 pulses with a flashgun into each eye before you leave the secure area, just in case retina forensics can recover recently seen things.
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
It's why using a USB stick to ferry data/transactions between your hot and cold machines is really a breach of the air-gap.

Agreed, but:

Any transfer of data is.

Does this include the following?

- Reading some words/digits in the online computer.
- Walking to the airgapped one.
- Manually typing the memorized words/digits on the keyboard.

It's effectively a data transfer but the bad guys would have a really hard time trying to compromise the airgap through it. Of course it's inconvenient as hell but we all know that's the price you pay for security Smiley.
Activity: 688
ヽ( ㅇㅅㅇ)ノ ~!!
It's why using a USB stick to ferry data/transactions between your hot and cold machines is really a breach of the air-gap. Any transfer of data is. (And presumably if your hot machine is infected, any virus can just pass data back via the USB stick, it doesn't need any fancy radio transmissions.)

All input/output needs to be considered a potential conduit for viruses...

The ideal cold wallet wouldn't rely on any data from the outside world. I'm not sure that's possible though. Maybe by splitting the balance into many small amounts on separate private keys and just removing a single private key for a small amount at a time. So the data transfer is only ever *from* the cold machine to the hot machine, via paper wallet or photographing a QR code or something.
legendary
Activity: 812
Merit: 1002
You realize that only works if someone has PHYSICAL access to the device with the cold storage? With physical access, it's easier for a thief to steal the wallet file, regardless if it had internet or not.

Cracking the password to the wallet is another story.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-19/hackers-can-steal-data-wirelessly-from-pcs-that-aren-t-even-online.html

This is something to be aware of when doing cold storage.

The gold standard of "use a machine that has never been connected to the internet and never will be"
will protect against this unless someone has physical access to the computer...
but are there other ways to also disable graphics card to prevent the attack described here?
Pages:
Jump to: