Pages:
Author

Topic: Hacking KNC Titan / Jupiter / Neptune miners back to life. Why not? - page 32. (Read 76590 times)

Activity: 159
Merit: 108
Reserved for something.

Can you fix  Kncminer Titan Issues including .8v idle dies (asic 5) or missing Die (asic 2)?

Click to enlarge

Try running cube 5 with all dies at 150Mhz, and I see you have die 4 undervolted 1 full volt. It wont run that far undervolted. Set it back to the stock -0.0366 setting and see what you get. IF you get any to run you can step up the Mhz as you go to see where they quit working. I would also inspect with a flashlight where the cooler is mounted to the chip to confirm that the cooler is firmly mounted on the chip with no space at all. 
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!
Reserved for something.

Can you fix  Kncminer Titan Issues including .8v idle dies (asic 5) or missing Die (asic 2)?

Click to enlarge
For Asic 2 it looks like one of the two supplies is out. Try running it at 100-200mh and see if it adds to your hashing.

For Asic5, that's the question we're trying to figure out.

Hmmm so a guy can run 1/2 die? So set 200 at 0.0366 and tweak down if it don't take?

Details? I got at least 1of my 2 dead dies like this

If I remember right my other looks like his 2nd one too

Thanks

Edit meant die 2 on his asic 5cube only the others work
legendary
Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239
I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)
Sunday morning work: Pin 4 has been identified which fixes the issue on the +3.3v supply going to power the LM75, EEPROM, and one of the level converter buffers. Will clean up the board in a bit.

The other is an issue: Pin 6 is still shorted and on the first board was shorted hard. It powers the other 3 converter chips, and I just found out this morning (by looking at a scrapped Neptune board which I had lifted the chip) that it also goes to the hashing chip on eight separate pins. So that's the supply for the housekeeping circuits on the hashing engines. Mystery solved.

The question is what to do about it: I can try forcing up to 5 amps of current to see if I can get the line to 3.3v, letting the shorted die roll in which case I need to put everything back together here. I'll try that this morning now that I have pin 4 and 8 repaired. That might be enough to get at least one engine running, which would give me a foundation to test other things.

Holding off on other work on the Titan with the missing jumper for now, I want to see if I can trace out that specific line on a Neptune first.
legendary
Reserved for something.

Click to enlarge
For Asic 2 it looks like one of the two supplies is out. Try running it at 100-200mh and see if it adds to your hashing.

For Asic5, that's the question we're trying to figure out.

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
Reserved for something.

Click to enlarge
Activity: 453
Merit: 250
Well i finally was able to format a damn micro sd. It did the whole light show and i can log into it via firefox. I plug a asic into it and it sees it but wont hash.... could be because these are Jupiter boards or the asics are toast. Not worth my time really, need to find a ok working Neptune with at least one working die to see if these controllers are good.
Activity: 808
Merit: 502
Why? Question: Can people who have two downed dies check this area and photograph? Because on these blown out boards of mine, that same spot where the resistor is missing is the ZERO OHM SHORT on pin 4.....

Sure enough on the other one I have that is just like the one I sent, the zero ohm resistor is missing! We have a confirmation the resistor is missing!

Good work, Lightfoot!
Activity: 133
Merit: 100
My mistake it really is going half way around the world to go to vegas? LOL USPS for the win! :/ NOT!

thanks

boomin
legendary
Still waiting for my 3rd controller.  The tracking number you sent me was one from Hawaii to you.  I am in Vegas. 
Close. I'm not in Hawaii (that would be cool), the Post Office is just stupid sometimes....

Activity: 133
Merit: 100
I just looked at 2 diff neptune boards and they are both missing it.  Ironically these are 2 that don't currently work. 

I haven't torn down a working one.  I was hoping to get one of these going.  I have 2 sitting here that I can't get to start hashing.  All cores show voltage - they both show between 5-8w and I have tried numerous different options for speed and voltage.  Any troubleshooting advice?

Still waiting for my 3rd controller.  The tracking number you sent me was one from Hawaii to you.  I am in Vegas. 

I was able to fix 2 more controllers today.   I am confident now with controllers.  Next stop.  Cubes.

Boomin
Wow, that is interesting! I will check mine out tomorrow. I wonder if it just overheated and fell off some how. Very interesting. I will let you know in the morning.
legendary
Full stop here, found something odd.

As we know, these blown out Titans have pins 4,6,8 shorted hard to ground. Pin 8 we know now goes to four points on the hashing chip, my guess is that it's some sort of signal or power.

Pin 4 is also pretty simple now, it goes to the temp sensor, USB, one of the buffer chips, and to this odd spot on the board.

Pin 6 is the one I am tracking down now, I know it goes to another 3 buffer chips for power but it also seems to get lost in the board....

HOWEVER this is one guy's Titan that only hashes on two dies out of four.

Note the difference? Note between U9 and U10 there are supposed to be two zero ohm resistors and a cap. However on this guy's board there is only one resistor, a cap, and an open bridge. With nothing soldered onto it.

Why? Question: Can people who have two downed dies check this area and photograph? Because on these blown out boards of mine, that same spot where the resistor is missing is the ZERO OHM SHORT on pin 4.....

Something is up here.
No I mean the asic boards look like Jupiters. I for the life of me cant log into the controller via browser  with user: admin password: admin
legendary
mm: That's a nice thing. Even if they said what the 10 pins did it would be a plus.
legendary
Well I cannot play along......... It seems that these are Jupiter boards. I haven't even bothered to try the 3 controller set ups, kind of upset. (How the fuck does one get thermal paste all over controller boards)  Also holy fucking hell, thermal paste, duct tape, crud and who knows what else is on these asic boards. It also came with 10 ribbon cables and 5 heat sinks..... 1 of which looks like the bottom of the copper pipes was smashed with a hammer about 5 times so its useless. Can you use anything off these boards?
Jupiter controllers should work with Neptunes and TItans if they aren't damaged. Load up Neptune 1.0.6 release and see if they light the LED then green LED. If so they could be fine.

jI've thought about trying to reball the FPGAs if they are good, might try it....
I contacted KNC support to see if they could give me some clue as to what the failure mechanism is for the 3 Titan cubes that I have. So far they have not gotten back with me. They have been pretty good in many other communications that I have had with them so my hope is they will give us an indication as to where we should be looking.
Well I cannot play along......... It seems that these are Jupiter boards. I haven't even bothered to try the 3 controller set ups, kind of upset. (How the fuck does one get thermal paste all over controller boards)  Also holy fucking hell, thermal paste, duct tape, crud and who knows what else is on these asic boards. It also came with 10 ribbon cables and 5 heat sinks..... 1 of which looks like the bottom of the copper pipes was smashed with a hammer about 5 times so its useless. Can you use anything off these boards?
legendary
Mini breakthrough: I finally found the source of the pin 4 shorts, it is one of the paths to the hashing chip through those little chips. There are two 0 ohm resistors, one of them is ok the other has a short. Opening that resistor fixes pin 4. Now to find the source of pin 6 shorts and I am in business with *something*

Hm.
legendary
Another controller board fixed, this one was a bit more interesting: The light came on but the SPI busses were down and the FPGA was hot to the touch. Swapped it out, board now 100% happy and hashing again.

Back to Titans.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Just popped in out of curiosity but level translators are use to translate I/O to-from core logic levels typically these days less than 1v, back in those days maybe as high as 2.2v, to-from data bus coms levels, usually 3.3v or up to 5v.
Now that I think about this it could make sense: The logic levels on the FPGAs are pretty low, there are only a few 3.3 volt capable lines for stuff like scl, so using these as relay amplifiers could make sense. They're not switching the power supplies, those are generic sda/self powered stuff.

Which leads the question: Just what *are* they powering?
Powering would not be the right word. Talking/listening-to would be better If I'm right. My guess they are the interface chips between the core logic and the data transfer bus. SPI and most other common com protocols run at 3.3-5vdc on the signal lines.. The core logic - FPGA's in this case - want a lower voltage, preferably the same voltage as the core runs at. The AMT/Bitmine.ch A1 ASIC hash boards I did forensics on used them for that.
Pages:
Jump to: