Pages:
Author

Topic: Hacking The KNC Firmware: Overclocking - page 60. (Read 144342 times)

legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
December 20, 2013, 12:57:49 AM
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
December 20, 2013, 12:28:11 AM
I haven't reloaded bertmod yet, but so long as you have the zzz.sh file already you should be ok. Having said that, I do not know if zzz.sh survives a machine restart. I am monitoring temps on the Advanced page in the web ui at the moment.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
December 20, 2013, 12:10:40 AM
December 20, 2013, 12:03:37 AM
Just wanted to drop a big Thank You to tolip-wen and everyone who helped get this going. Please tolip, drop an address here so I can send you a little appreciation!
December 19, 2013, 11:59:59 PM
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
December 19, 2013, 10:49:46 PM
My sad story involves KNC refusing to advance RMA bad components, so my Jupiter was gimping along at 495Ghs with two die-0 boards and two good boards. Instead of trying to stay sane during a week or two of downtime (valium, xanax anyone?), I decided that I would just run the two die-0 boards at 75%, because it would take months to break even from the RMA downtime.

Where do you live? On the moon? Smiley Huh Most people get RMA turn around in a matter of days.

Oh but congrats on overclocking your miner, thats pretty cool.  Grin

Anyone else have a cgminer.sh that doesn't look anything like the one the-skeptic posted?

I'm running 0.99-tune but mine doesn't have anything that even vaguely looks like:  cmd=$(printf "0x86,0x%02X,0x01,0xF1" $c)

This is what mine looks like (vanilla without touching anything)

Code:
#!/bin/sh

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DAEMON=/usr/bin/cgminer
NAME=cgminer
DESC="Cgminer daemon"

set -e

test -x "$DAEMON" || exit 0

do_start() {
# Stop SPI poller
spi_ena=0
i2cset -y 2 0x71 2 $spi_ena

good_ports=""
bad_ports=""

# CLear faults in megadlynx's
for b in 3 4 5 6 7 8 ; do
for d in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ; do
i2cset -y $b 0x1$d 3 >/dev/null 2>&1 || true
done
done

for p in 0 1 2 3 4 5 ; do
i2cset -y 2 0x71 1 $((p+1))
good_flag=0
ar="$(spi-test -s 50000 -OHC -D /dev/spidev1.0 0x80,3,0,0,0,0,0,0 | tail -c 13)"
                if [ "x$ar" = "x00 30 A0 01" ] ; then
good_flag=1
fi
ar="$(spi-test -s 50000 -OHC -D /dev/spidev1.0 0x80,2,0,0,0,0,0,0 | tail -c 13)"
good_flag=1
fi
ar="$(spi-test -s 50000 -OHC -D /dev/spidev1.0 0x80,1,0,0,0,0,0,0 | tail -c 13)"
good_flag=1
fi
ar="$(spi-test -s 50000 -OHC -D /dev/spidev1.0 0x80,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 | tail -c 13)"
good_flag=1
fi

if [ "$good_flag" = "1" ] ; then
good_ports=$good_ports" $p"
else
bad_ports=$bad_ports" $p"
fi
done

if [ -n "$good_ports" ] ; then
for p in $good_ports ; do
# re-enable all cores
i=0
while [[ $i -lt 192 ]] ; do
i2cset -y 2 0x2$p $i 1
i=$((i+1))
done
spi_ena=$(( spi_ena | (1 << $p) ))
done
fi
if [ -n "$bad_ports" ] ; then
for p in $bad_ports ; do
# disable all cores
i=0
while [[ $i -lt 192 ]] ; do
i2cset -y 2 0x2$p $i 0
i=$((i+1))
done
spi_ena=$(( spi_ena & ~(1 << $p) ))
done
fi

# Disable direct SPI
i2cset -y 2 0x71 1 0

# Enable SPI poller
i2cset -y 2 0x71 2 $spi_ena

MINING_SW=`ls -l /usr/bin/cgminer`
if [ "`echo $MINING_SW | grep bfgminer`" != "" ] ; then
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/bfgminer/
start-stop-daemon -b -S -x screen -- -S cgminer -t cgminer -m -d "$DAEMON" --api-listen -c /config/cgminer.conf -S knc:auto
else
start-stop-daemon -b -S -x screen -- -S cgminer -t cgminer -m -d "$DAEMON" --api-listen --default-config /config/cgminer.conf
fi
}

do_stop() {
        killall -9 cgminer || true
}
case "$1" in
  start)
        echo -n "Starting $DESC: "
do_start
        echo "$NAME."
        ;;
  stop)
        echo -n "Stopping $DESC: "
do_stop
        echo "$NAME."
        ;;
  restart|force-reload)
        echo -n "Restarting $DESC: "
        do_stop
        do_start
        echo "$NAME."
        ;;
  *)
        N=/etc/init.d/$NAME
        echo "Usage: $N {start|stop|restart|force-reload}" >&2
        exit 1
        ;;
esac

exit 0

Activity: 114
Merit: 10
December 19, 2013, 11:44:46 AM
This is a bit odd, i tried running the SED command and when it rebooted CGminer it prompted me to enter the pool credentials etc... I rebooted the miner and now cgminer and now i am getting some CGminer errors related to pool credentials etc?  Any ideas?

Edit: Very odd, eligius works with this mod, but bitminter does not.  Perhaps it has something to do with the pool credentials?  Anyone have any insight?

Edit2: Bitminter pool seems to be back up using original unmodified file.

There's absolutely no possible way that the sed command (if run on cgminer.sh) would have altered your pool credentials in any way. Is it possible that you ran sed against cgminer.conf instead?

Nope - no possible way.  For some reason, it takes 5 minutes or so for CGminer to figure out that the bitminter pool is alive.  Eliguis works perfectly well right at bootup.  After about 10 minutes of mining, CGminer will revert back to the bitminter pool once it verifies that it is alive.

In summary - For those of you running on bitminter, please configure a backup pool in the KNCminer web interface ( i had only configured mine in the cgminer.conf file) BEFORE running this command.
Activity: 91
December 19, 2013, 11:05:11 AM
Wow, just wow. I love you people. In a purely platonic way, that is.

Thanks to this thread, I have worked my october jupiter  (4-VRMs) up through different speeds using different codes in cgminer.sh. Currently "231" really kicks this sucker in the pants.

My sad story involves KNC refusing to advance RMA bad components, so my Jupiter was gimping along at 495Ghs with two die-0 boards and two good boards. Instead of trying to stay sane during a week or two of downtime (valium, xanax anyone?), I decided that I would just run the two die-0 boards at 75%, because it would take months to break even from the RMA downtime.

I am happy to announce that changing the cgminer.sh x086 register to 231 I am seeing 598Ghs locally and 595-605 at the pool!

VRMs are a little toasty, pushing 43-45W each, but I am confident that they have built some tolerances into the components and they would withstand a sustained 55W if asked. I have also added two extra 120mm fans inside the case to push more air past the rear ASIC boards to keep temps down in the 50s.

Many thanks to Tolip_wen and all the others who have helped bring my Jupiter up to factory specs, plus a bonus 50Ghs on top. On a machine with only 14 of 16 good dies!

Don't they usually refer to hidden tricks in software as easter eggs? Sounds like Santa brought me 100Ghs for Christmas instead!
Activity: 226
Merit: 100
December 19, 2013, 10:54:30 AM
This is a bit odd, i tried running the SED command and when it rebooted CGminer it prompted me to enter the pool credentials etc... I rebooted the miner and now cgminer and now i am getting some CGminer errors related to pool credentials etc?  Any ideas?

Edit: Very odd, eligius works with this mod, but bitminter does not.  Perhaps it has something to do with the pool credentials?  Anyone have any insight?

There's absolutely no possible way that the sed command (if run on cgminer.sh) would have altered your pool credentials in any way. Is it possible that you ran sed against cgminer.conf instead?
Activity: 114
December 19, 2013, 10:39:32 AM

Activity: 635
Merit: 500
December 19, 2013, 09:46:44 AM
Yep I've played with this.

But it's confirmed till 850. You didn't wrote the mhz to the other combos.

I saw in your list 950Mhz. Could you help what is the number for that?
Activity: 386
Merit: 250
December 19, 2013, 09:34:47 AM
tolip_wen

Could give some help for the clock values (in the command line)?

Or just a tip how to figre it out?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3985606

Activity: 635
December 19, 2013, 03:48:35 AM
tolip_wen

Could give some help for the clock values (in the command line)?

Or just a tip how to figre it out?

Activity: 329
https://eloncity.io/
December 19, 2013, 01:07:58 AM
Activity: 226
Merit: 100
December 19, 2013, 12:28:06 AM
Woohoo! I'm running at ~910GH/s with less than 1% HW errors on my 6-module October Jupiter. Before overclocking, I could barely get 840GH/s and had ~3% HW errors.

December 19, 2013, 12:24:59 AM

What should I change? The bolded line?

modify the line you bolded to change whole miner speed

to change single die speed add a section like this for each module
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.4010530

Add it right below the bolded line
December 19, 2013, 12:13:58 AM
What do you mean restart the miner?

sed sBD1BF1B /config/zzz.sh ; /config/zzz.sh restart

Does it rewrites the zzz.sh file?  or its only in memory and resets when miner is rebooted?

Thanks!

The sed thingie keeps the original and makes a copy that survives reboot.

Reboot to run original
or
'/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh restart'

to run modified
'/config/zzz.sh restart'
(make changes only to the copy for fast recovery to stock system)

to swith back to normal
'/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh restart'
Activity: 28
December 18, 2013, 11:02:34 PM
Those of you with watercooled systems, care to show some pictures of how you set it up?
I am considering water cooling, not because I have heat problems, just because I am preventative by nature... Smiley
Activity: 854
December 18, 2013, 11:02:08 PM
Activity: 347
December 18, 2013, 10:05:12 PM
How do you do this with bfgminer? When you launch bfgminer with the command "./bfgminer -S knc:auto -c /config/cgminer.conf" will that then use the modified cgminer.sh file or do I need to follow the instructions at https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3714194 to copy the cgminer.sh and make my own bfgminer.sh file?

Thanks for the help

You have to modify the COPY of the cgminer.sh to start bfgminer instead.
details at link below
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3714194

You might could start a modified cgminer.sh, stop it and use
"./bfgminer -S knc:auto -c /config/cgminer.conf"

EDIT and I'm ignorant for pointing you to a link included in your post, lol

Haha, no worries I went through that modification process but for some reason it did not work. I think I'll have to try it again. Just to be clear the bfgminer.sh is based on a copy of the cgminer.sh with mentioned modifications?

Thanks for the assistance.
Pages:
Jump to: