Pages:
Author

Topic: Half of all Tor sites compromised, Freedom Hosting founder arrested. - page 3. (Read 5081 times)

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502
I don't think it's going to be too bad. Apparently Tormail went down sporadically over the past few weeks and when it did, it did not coincide with Silk Road also going down.

The only people this will affect are people who didn't encrypt all their shit, as they should have been doing.

That's why Whonix seem pretty safe. It use one virtual machine as a proxy to Tor and a second one for browsing and doing stuff. The second virtual machine only has connectivity to the first virtual machine so IP address can't leak even when compromised.

Sweet!
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
Hmm to be honest I haven't realized the magnitude. What happened exactly?

Was this strictly a client side exploit or was something used to reveal the real ip of the server?
The way it seems, people should probably stop from using SR for a while, at least until there is more information on the exploit that was used.

So yes, in contrast to my previous assessment this might really spark some panic regarding SRs future and so the price of Bitcoins.

Somehow they got the IP of the server and put the 0 day exploit up to track the users who were going on the site. That's IF the account of the story is real.

My guess is the guy fucked up and got compromised somehow. Nobody knows at this point, even the TOR people are waiting to hear.

All users would have been safe if they would have disabled javascript. God damn noobs.
That's why Whonix seem pretty safe. It use one virtual machine as a proxy to Tor and a second one for browsing and doing stuff. The second virtual machine only has connectivity to the first virtual machine so IP address can't leak even when compromised.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1004
So to what extent, based on this report, can we expect Tormail to have been compromised? Only during this event or, in fact, all information is now compromised on TOrmail for example?

yep, maybe

Why not just use BitMessage:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitmessage-address-book-226770
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
So to what extent, based on this report, can we expect Tormail to have been compromised? Only during this event or, in fact, all information is now compromised on TOrmail for example?

yep, maybe

Isn't that.. tremendously awful?
Activity: 518
Merit: 500

yep, maybe
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
this should only help decentralization
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
Somehow they got the IP of the server and put the 0 day exploit up to track the users who were going on the site. That's IF the account of the story is real.

My guess is the guy fucked up and got compromised somehow. Nobody knows at this point, even the TOR people are waiting to hear.

Well whoever knows the facts in that regard first will have the advantage.
Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

Was this strictly a client side exploit or was something used to reveal the real ip of the server?
The way it seems, people should probably stop from using SR for a while, at least until there is more information on the exploit that was used.

So yes, in contrast to my previous assessment this might really spark some panic regarding SRs future and so the price of Bitcoins.

All users would have been safe if they would have disabled javascript. God damn noobs.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP

Activity: 686
Merit: 501
TokenUnion-Get Rewarded for Holding Crypto
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rlo0uu

Freedom Hosting was a Tor hidden service, just like the Silk Road.
Pages:
Jump to: