Pages:
Author

Topic: Happy HELLoween: 2.0 Gripe Thread - page 2. (Read 1513 times)

Activity: 420
Merit: 262
October 31, 2015, 11:48:43 PM
CoinHoarder, agreed about experimentation is necessary.

Investors need to be realistic though on moving past the cacophony of features laboratory to the breakthrough synergism that will propel new user markets.

I think we are too eager to wet our pants on featuritis tech envy.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011
FUD Philanthropist™
October 31, 2015, 11:44:38 PM
@CoinHoarder
That is what you think..
First thing i check with a coin is it's initial distribution.
And if that is not the first thing for you guys then i have to wonder about you guys.

2nd for me would be who made it.
And once again you guys don't seem to care in the slightest.
Sure you brag about the dev being shit hot etc.. AFTER your a bag holder.

I have asked for years guys on chat boxs on Polo and Cryptsy etc these questions above
and the only response i ever got was screw you.. you're trolling and / or "i don't know"
what would be a more appropriate question(s) to ask about a new coin (before investing) then ?

fast forward to now and look around ..this is what you get.

and don't forget investors greedy ponzi fans YOU may not care.. but the general public obviously does.
which is why this crap has been a ghost town for a good 2 years roughly.

seems the world agrees with me in the face of verbal diarrhea from Bitcointalk spamming bag holders.
the world has spoken up loud and clear.. so go ahead and argue with the population of Earth.
pro investors from the stock market want to invest in some sketchy ass GitHub stolen IPO shit coin ?
..of course not.
YOU guys may want to.. but your lower standards are not normal here guys.

And don't forget how i have posted gazillions of times how you newer guys have ruined the scene
and things were VERY different when i started..
for example Ripple was launched and laughed out of the forum (and now ?)
ORB was laughed off the forum then when the crowd came Cryptsy slipped it back in
(previously the chat box demanded Cryptsy remove it not an hour after it was added)

When was the last time you seen that ?

You reap what you sow guys.. enjoy.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
October 31, 2015, 11:42:33 PM
2.0 coins have been mostly hype so far and not only not truly solving the technical issues they claim or target

At least they are trying, without ALT coins the technology would never evolve. ALT coins are paving the way for the future of cryptocurrency through the utilization of many small experiments. Most experiments will fail in terms of being a valuable investment, but as far as advancing blockchain technology they will mostly be useful in the grand scope of things. People are no longer changing a few parameters and calling it a day. There is a ton of innovation across the cryptosphere and I only see that accelerating with time, which can only lead to good things.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
October 31, 2015, 11:34:28 PM
i hate every coin you mentioned OP.
Most are IPO crap.. toxic crap that will get you dumped on too (sound like what happened to you)

"You live and learn, or you don't live long." - Lazarus Long (Robert A. Heinlien)
legendary
October 31, 2015, 11:31:56 PM
b.)  Monero price continues to slide, despite the technology (imho) literally being the best out there.  I'm not with it for any other reason than I see that its true digital cash using the best programming and mathematics in the history of civilization.  If there were something better out there, I would be supporting that, but there's not.  It's a shame the price doesn't currently reflect that fact, but as I always say: don't worry what the herd is doing.  

I hear ya...I feel the same way about NXT, actually. That's why my heart's been bleeding as NXT has been falling.

To be frank, Monero and NXT don't really compete. Not in the important, long-term sense. So I don't mind at all saying that you're right. Monero's current trip to Downsville is not reflective of its tech or its potential.

Sadly, that's just part of the frustrationthon that comes with asset markets. There's a very loose link between technological excellence and market price. When you think about it at the high-abstract level, the foregoing makes sense: after all, those huge huge gains do have to come from a huge huge gap between an asset's perceived value and its real value. But of course, "we" only see the real value in retrospect. Wink

Anyhoo: as I said, it's just a gripe fest. Great to hear you're sticking with the alt you're sure will win in the long term. And it's even nicer to see you help out a fellow who seems held back in an artificial slot that's not reflective of his true talents and skills. Smiley
Activity: 420
Merit: 262
October 31, 2015, 11:27:50 PM
2.0 coins have been mostly hype so far and not only not truly solving the technical issues they claim or target, also afaik not amassing significant usership. Who knows what the killer app for 2.0 is yet? So it is basically a game of musical chairs to on who is first to jump out of the latest rise into the next rising thing and who is late to follow. Bitcoin blasted off and the news on 2.0 coins has been coming fast and furious past months, so it was time to sell the news and buy Bitcoin.

Monero is busy implementing value hiding improvement to Cryptonote rings (yet afaik it will use 850% more space than my comparable design because their "very successful, massive developer resources" coin can't afford $21,000 to implement the better design) and yet even when that is done they still can't give you an iron-clad IP obfuscation (relegating you to I2P or Tor which are both very likely honeypots for the NSA and tax agencies and who ever they intentionally and unintentionally leak their data to, such as hackers and what not). I mean anonymity isn't even a very wide scale target market, but heck if you can't even give me IP obfuscation then the rest of the anonymity is unmasked any way so what is the point? I need a 100% solid anonymity otherwise I better not even use it, and end up incriminating myself in the process. I mean if you are going to do anonymity it doesn't really help if you can only serve a fraction of a very small market, because you can't even do anonymity completely. Sorry because I've been pushing for anonymity and still hoping we will get to a robust solution, but we are a long ways away from such a robust solution that I can trust enough to even rely on.

My point is not to pick on Monero. I do understand they argue for business privacy (and not for use against the NSA) but that market isn't adopting crypto-currency yet so they aren't yet at the stage of needing privacy for that which they are not compelled to use any way. My point is what are these people smoking that they can't even see reality properly  Huh If you are going to attempt something, then at least have your plan on how you will hit a market sweet spot that is large enough to give you the actual usership momentum needed to really make an impact. There probably are significant markets for anonymity in terms of Silk Road type activities, if you can make it really solid but that is a huge undertaking (anonymity is unmasked in numerous side channels). Down the line it could be critical for fungibility. But next month? I doubt it.

I probably take some of the blame for all of that. My incessant emphasis on anonymity in 2013 and 2014, probably somewhat contributed to the mass mania into the likes of Dash (I don't know to what extent I influenced that, as you had others such as Gmaxwell pushing CoinJoin and Mike Hearn created a rukus with the redlisting crap so there was a push towards wanting anonymity for fungibility).

Lately I see several derogatory comments about jl777/Nxt (in other threads) but at least I know he (and I understand he is not all of Nxt) has been trying to work on the issue of a network for the IP obfuscation and generally wanting to make anonymity really complete. He claims to have written 100,000 lines of C code cumulative for all his various crypto projects. I haven't checked into all that, but I know he has bounced some of his anonymity ideas off of me. I was sort of too ill in August and Sept to really help the way I would normally. Haven't caught up with him yet on where he is with all that.

Everybody has an opinion about who the scammers are and who are the upstanding devs and community folk. I really don't know. I suppose I would need to expend much more time researching that than actually coding and so I guess I will remain somewhat naive or ignorant of all that goes on in crypto land (which is probably better than knowing too much as curiosity killed the cat).
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
October 31, 2015, 11:05:45 PM
Happy Halloween!

All of the following is just my opinion, but...

It isn't that V coin is a scam, W coin is a gimmick, X coin was instamined, Y coin is PoS, or Z coin was launched by an IPO. The whole industry is in a funk. As soon as Bitcoin breaks out of its funk, which will happen sooner or later, the major players in the ALT coin scene will benefit from that bull market. The real question is which coin will stand the test of time and emerge among all of the alt coins over the next 5 to 10 years, but even still there are profits to be made by making an investment today in most of the industry leaders.

At this point I think it is too hard to tell which coins will come out on top, and alt coins are a total crap shoot. You should treat cryptocurrencies as people treat normal investment portfolios. You have your low risk coins- the more established coins such as Bitcoin and Litecoin. Then the high risk alt coins. Ideally, your cryptocurrency investments should be heavily in BTC, with a smaller percentage (depending on your risk tolerance) spread out among alt coins you believe will have value in the future. If you are investing in ALT coins, then I suggest you spread out the investment among the leaders in each subset of ALT coins. Some in decentralized programming language coins, some in a few DACs focused on certain markets, some in privacy focused coins, some in feature-rich coins, some in a data storage coins, etc...

I actually think BTC/LTC are a bad long term investment (10+ years), but I do think the have a few more "pump" cycles left in them which I see as pretty much guaranteed profit.  I see ALT cryptocurrencies eventually overtaking them due to their lack of innovation, development, and willingness to evolve with the rest of the industry. However, at this point in the game they are probably the "safest" investments in cryptoland.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011
FUD Philanthropist™
October 31, 2015, 10:09:55 PM
i hate every coin you mentioned OP.
Most are IPO crap.. toxic crap that will get you dumped on too (sound like what happened to you)
Activity: 770
Merit: 502
October 31, 2015, 09:41:49 PM
I have two main gripes this halloween.  

a.) I just discovered that with signature spam, dedicated peeps can make minimum $30 a week, and if they run multiple accounts they can likely make $100 to $200 a week.  That's pretty nuts considering I met some very intelligent young 20-somethings in Dubai during my time there who were literally slaving away for that salary a month.  

One Nepalese kid taught himself Arabic in 6 months.  During his down time as a waiter/servant for the military officers there he read the financial section of the daily newspaper.  Occasionally an arrogant prick pilot would come in there and chew him out about some bullshit, like how the hot tea was a degree or two off, or any number of menial issues that weren't really issues - anything so these guys could have someone to boss around.  But this Nepalese kid didn't mind; he took the abuse, and just boded his time, reading and absorbing everything he could.  

I told him he needs to start learning about cryptocurrency, Monero, and Bitcoin, and wrote down some websites for him to visit.  He could leave that shitty gig, go back home to Nepal, learn how to write interesting English content, and literally make 4x what he was making there on this website alone.  It infuriates me that he was likely many times smarter than the jerks who were bossing him around, and humble and wise enough to know he had to take the abuse for the sake of his future.    

I hope he gets into it, and I remind myself every day about the ultimate altruistic goal of this endeavor: so that the world moves to a true meritocracy where privileged imbeciles naturally sink back down into the depths while bright talent, no matter where its born, has the same chance of success as anyone else.

b.)  Monero price continues to slide, despite the technology (imho) literally being the best out there.  I'm not with it for any other reason than I see that its true digital cash using the best programming and mathematics in the history of civilization.  If there were something better out there, I would be supporting that, but there's not.  It's a shame the price doesn't currently reflect that fact, but as I always say: don't worry what the herd is doing.  Don't mind the yellow and burnt patch of Earth they are fighting over - find the green grass, the real opportunity, and graze in peace while you can.  The others will surely figure it out eventually, and you will find yourself in an enviable position.    

OP, I enjoyed reading your analysis of all your alts.  I'm not into NXT, but I do find them interesting, especially their ability to absorb some of the vanity blockchains we see.  I feel like the crypto-world as a whole has endured a long multi-year winter... but a new spring is coming soon for us all.   Smiley
Activity: 162
Merit: 100
October 31, 2015, 09:13:19 PM

The second exception, oddly enough, is the under-the-radar coin that I'm still associated with. Unlike all those others above, with the exception of Etherium later, HORIZON (HZ) managed a nice rickety-rocket rise from ~30 to 55. As the luck of the damned would indicate, it's since reintroduced itself to the low 30s. But, for whatever reason, the 30 level is holding up quite nicely.

haha, celebration time ... horizon slides out of the S-bend and back into the bowl!! Still in the toilet bro!

good try, but no cigar my friend ... another 6 months at least before the cream floats to the top
legendary
October 31, 2015, 08:53:00 PM
I remember the day well: February 10th, 2009. Back then, there was a consensus amongst stock punters that TARP and the Fed bailouts had worked. A surprising many of them had mixed feeling about the bailouts' propriety, but pretty-much every punter agreed on their efficacy. Starting in November of '08, coalescing in December and solidifying in January, the sentiment was that Bailout Nation had turned the tide of the vicious bear market of '08.

Until that fateful late-morning when Tim Geithner Himself gave a speech. About TARP.

To a naïf like me, then mercenary enough to be interested only in a profitable punt, the speech sounded pretty good. But not to the vets: not to them! And boy, were they quick. Quick enough to kickstart a blizzard of selling that made for a four-week bear market within a bear market. It didn't end until March 9, 2009, when the S&P 500 bottomed out at 666 and change.

----------

Right now, or so I hope, the crypto-2.0 markets look a lot like that scary February. So I hope.

Fact is, I was lulled by a Cryptsy-based altcoin index which indicated that the altcoin tide had turned earlier this year. Never mind that Cryptsy is full of 1.0 alts which benefitted from the old-is-new-again resuscitation fad. That index, plus the big BTC finally turning the tide, had me figurin' that the dark days were over for 2.0 and 2.0-related coins.

Of course, I made the classic mistake of trying to catch the falling knife. With one glaring exception, and one not-so-noticeable exception, the last month has been 2.0 hell.

Just below, in the spirit of a good-old-fashioned mutual gripe session, is a Polo-powered round-up of the blizzard woes of Crypto 2.0. Happy HELLoween!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

BITSHARES (BTS): Oh, Lordy. To think I was publicly patting myself on the back for buying 10,000 below 1500 satoshis. I shoulda known: those heady, exciting >2500 days when BTS had elbowed aside Etherium as the #1 volume leader on Polo was the time to abandon the Bitship. After 100,000 TPS turned into 100 TPS "for now," it was all aboard for the bear train. Express trip to new lows! 1300 on your left!

If there were any more handy time for "sell on the [just before the] news," Bitshares was it.

DASH (DASH): Of course, 0.01 will hold up. Sure it will. (Now, 0.00723 and wobbling.)

RIPPLE (XRP): Wowie...just wow. The days when Ripple was a bargain below 3000 satoshis have vanished like 1500. It's now bouncing up to 1483.

MONERO (XMR): More 2.0 crow to eat. Remember the pumpathon here when it had sunk to 0.002? That did mark a turning point, in a way: it did manage to lumber up to about 0.00225. But afterwards, it went downie-bye. Currently 0.00129.

COUNTERPARTY (XCP): If it was a "50% off" bargain at 0.005, it's giggity-giggity a golly-sakes bigger bargain at 0.00305!

BOOLBERRY (BBR): Sometimes the bear shows mercy...or absent-mindedness Boolberry has had a nice bounce, up to 4712 satoshis. Never mind what its longer-term chart looks like: a nice bounce is a nice bounce.

BITCOINDARK (BTCD): Currently 0.00256. Ouch...just, ouch.

GEMZ (GEMZ): Well, it still does bounce off 5000 satoshis!

BURSTCOIN (BURST): More mercy, or forgetfulness, from the bear. It's holding more-or-less up at 14. "Like BURST at 40, the warriors are blown away by the wind."

QORA (QORA): Revamped revived, retooled, and ready...to reintroduce itself to levels seen when everyone was standing around waiting for something to happen.

FACTOM (FCT): Hi, IPO price! Long time no see! Aren't you glad I'm back?

And of course, I saved the most depressing one for last................

NXT (NXT): Of all the above, this one's been the biggest kneecapper. Even back in the dark days of later last year, NXT still held up. Back then, I was blithely assuring everyone that below-5000 satoshis was a bargain.

Good one on me, I tell you. NXT is now less than half of that 5000 "bargain." Its current 2275 has reintroduced it to prices from two weeks after it was launched.

Jeez, this one's a real kneecapping capstone for the 2015 HELLoween Tour. 

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Those Exceptions:

Go figure. Not all that long ago, Etherium was being gnawed on like the others. 0.0015...oww.

But just when it confounded zero-sum thinkers everywhere in altcoin land, it leapt upwards and became a plausible "demand-hog" once again. Talk about a hard-bouncin' trick! And if ETH bestowed a treat on ye, congrats. Smiley

The second exception, oddly enough, is the under-the-radar coin that I'm still associated with. Unlike all those others above, with the exception of Etherium later, HORIZON (HZ) managed a nice rickety-rocket rise from ~30 to 55. As the luck of the damned would indicate, it's since reintroduced itself to the low 30s. But, for whatever reason, the 30 level is holding up quite nicely.

Nicely as of now, me pretties: nicely as of now...

Well, that wraps up the gripeathon for me. Got any 2.0 gripes of your own? Might as well share 'em on this thread. Happy HELLoween!

Pages:
Jump to: