Pages:
Author

Topic: Hardware Bitcoin wallet - a minimal Bitcoin wallet for embedded devices - page 3. (Read 44615 times)

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
But before using any sort of embedded device to generate keys, I'd want some confidence in its random number generator.

Good point to remember.
As suggested here, the device could have an embedded AM antenna and use the background noise as entropy source.
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004
Thanks retep. I was thinking the same thing: Instead of a random delay, you could profile the algorithms to estimate the longest time and add a delay up until this time each time the algorithms are run. An additional random delay would be good also. As for the power problem, wouldn't it be best to focus on the hardware to mask this? With the algorithms there may be detectable power variations for the actual different operations computed right?
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1149
For a time-based attack an attacker would need to determine the start and end times of an operation. For signing transactions on a PC I don't see how time information could leak out to an attacker. From what I can tell the attacker would need some sort of access to the computer itself, in which case wallets are vulnerable anyway. So would the algorithms need to be secured against this type of attack when using bitcoin?

Perhaps using a random sleep period when signing transactions would protect against the attack and may allow for better optimisation. I found this but it isn't too keen on the random time delays: http://www.cryptography.com/public/pdf/TimingAttacks.pdf The blind signature technique wouldn't be applicable (unless I don't know something). Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

The problem with random sleep periods is that you can still determine the underlying time taken through simple statistical averaging in many circumstances. Possible a better solution would be to start a timer at the beginning of any cryptographic operation, and then once the operation finishes wait until a fixed maximum-time has elapsed. That way every operation takes the same amount of time. Adding a further random delay on top of this fixed delay wouldn't be a bad idea either, to help mask any residual leakage. (for instance, suppose that the time measurement turns out to be flawed, and there is still a remainder which it does not detect)

If the attacker can also determine what the power consumption of your hardware wallet you have to hide that as well. Unfortunately in the case of a USB-powered wallet this is actually a realistic attack as some motherboards can measure how much power a USB device is actually consuming. To protect against this, the "makeup" time period should do something cpu-intensive as well, perhaps an additional, randomly chosen, cryptographic operation. (don't pick the same operation, with the same keys, in case there turns out to be a key-dependent power consumption)

Finally, at the hardware level you can choose a power supply with a fixed current consumption on the input. A zener diode and resistor voltage regulator, operated correctly, has a nearly zero change in input current for a change in output current and you can do even better with something more sophisticated.

For the OP: I'm an electronics designer and I'd be interested in working further on the hardware design.
pc
Activity: 253
Merit: 250
Definitely an interesting concept.

But before using any sort of embedded device to generate keys, I'd want some confidence in its random number generator. (I haven't looked at the hardware or code, and I don't have the expertise to evaluate its randomness even if I did.) But the research using EFF SSL data that indicates a lot of SSL certificates in the wild use bad random number generators, probably generated on embedded devices, makes me really hesitant to use an embedded device to generate my bitcoin keys without a lot of scrutiny.
Activity: 658
Merit: 502
Doesn't use these forums that often.
Nice idea!
To solve the password dilemma,
Why not use the LCD as the password display and
Ask the user to type the password BACKWARDS...
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004
I'm looking through the code. I guess the ECDSA and bignum algorithms were implemented more or less from scratch? I might use some of you algorithms for the C library I'm making. I was looking at other libraries including OpenSSL which is what the C++ client uses but none easily allow me to include only the specific parts I need into my library.

I found this:

Code:
  * All computation functions have been written in a way so that their
  * execution time is independent of the data they are processing. However,
  * the compiler may use optimisations which destroy this property; inspection
  * of the generated assembly code is the only way to check. The advantage of
  * data-independent timing is that implementations of cryptography based on
  * this code should be more timing attack resistant. The main disadvantage is
  * that the code is relatively inefficient.

Does this matter for the purposes of this device? And what about using bitcoin on a PC?

For a time-based attack an attacker would need to determine the start and end times of an operation. For signing transactions on a PC I don't see how time information could leak out to an attacker. From what I can tell the attacker would need some sort of access to the computer itself, in which case wallets are vulnerable anyway. So would the algorithms need to be secured against this type of attack when using bitcoin?

Perhaps using a random sleep period when signing transactions would protect against the attack and may allow for better optimisation. I found this but it isn't too keen on the random time delays: http://www.cryptography.com/public/pdf/TimingAttacks.pdf The blind signature technique wouldn't be applicable (unless I don't know something). Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
It seems you forgot to add a link, jim...
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066
These combined USB drives with LCD make for an interesting form factor:

No buttons though.

Edit: link http://www.usbflash.co.uk/usb-flash-drives/plastic-usb-drives/flash-drive-lcd.html

One of the things on our 'possible' things to do with MultiBit is to make a MultiBitPortable where the wallet and software are all on a USB device. With a combination hardware wallet + USB drive you could :

+ plug in your USB drive / hardware wallet combo and start up your client software, the executable for which is on the USB drive.
+ when it needs to do a spend, it talks via serial/USB to the hardware device to get you to approve it with a button press on the device and the hardware device signs it.
+ client software then transmits the tx.

Both Electrum and MultiBit can run from small USB drives quite happily.

Just exploring the possibilities.
legendary
@someone42
You should give your device and protocol a name.

That way client software can advertise itself as supporting 'YourName' devices.
Also people can then clone your hardware and advertise their devices as 'YourName' compatible.
How can these flaws be dealt with? Here are the ideas I've come up with:
  • Keep things the way they are. Rely on the assumption that even if an attacker has your wallet password, they probably won't have physical access to your hardware Bitcoin wallet, so they still can't do anything nasty. Rely on wallet backups to mitigate ransom attacks.
  • Change the protocol so that the wallet password is sent in cleartext over the serial port. Then, the wallet has the opportunity (when setting or changing the wallet password) to display the password, allowing the user to detect if a "ransom key" has been inserted.
  • Add a USB port to the hardware Bitcoin wallet and allow the user to plug a USB keyboard into the wallet and directly enter the wallet password.
I like the last option the most, but it does involve additional cost (+0.20 to 0.40 USD for quantity = 1000) and complexity*. Also, since the key derivation function is evaluated on the hardware Bitcoin wallet, it can't be as strong, since the microcontroller on the device will be orders of magnitude less powerful than a modern CPU or GPU.

Can anyone think of a better way to deal with ransom attacks?

*There's a bit of a cheat I can use here. As I mentioned above, being a USB host is difficult. But most (maybe all?) USB keyboards are also PS/2 keyboards: those USB-to-PS/2 dongles they come with simply re-route the USB pins to PS/2 pins. The keyboard uses some electrical checks to determine whether it is plugged into an actual USB port or a USB-to-PS/2 dongle. Thus it's possible to trick a USB keyboard into using the PS/2 interface, and the PS/2 interface is much easier to work with than the USB interface.

Seriously, 0,40USD is nothing. Even if it ads more than 1USD per unit, it's still nothing. Just use USB, it's the current standard, people wouldn't need adapters, you could use the same USB port to connect to the device that will provide the transactions to be signed, and maybe one day you could make it capable of writing the encrypted seed out for backup purposes. Wink

I agree that keeping low cost is important to boost adoption, but don't get too radical on that. Usability is also an important criterion. This device would mostly be used by those which have a sensible amount of BTCs to protect anyway, so I believe they can afford a few dollars more for a decent thing. Those who don't have much coins, don't have much too lose in using desktop wallets anyway.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1003
I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man
Interesting.

How small are you thinking a final version maybe? As small as a USB stick with 2-line display?

I think for btc savings (large amounts) having just a small, network-isolated, piece of hardware that does nothing else but store keys and sign transactions is a very promising concept.
Sounds like iron key needs to be Contacted Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
Interesting.

How small are you thinking a final version maybe? As small as a USB stick with 2-line display?

I think for btc savings (large amounts) having just a small, network-isolated, piece of hardware that does nothing else but store keys and sign transactions is a very promising concept.
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
Chris Chua
Isn't this overkill? I mean, writing an encrypted copy of the seed on a USB key doesn't sound dangerous. And it's much easier and less error prone for the user than manually copying it from what's displayed.
Writing to a USB key would require the wallet be capable of being a USB host, as opposed to merely being a USB device. Being a USB host requires far more processing resources than being a USB device. IMO, it just isn't worth the extra complexity and cost. An easier alternative to manually writing down the seed would be to take pictures of the display.
I guess that it would increase complexity, but do you think it's feasible to implement "hidden volumes" like Truecrypt does, in order to have plausible deniability against this kind of attack (works as long as the attacker doesn't know for sure how much you've got)?
Hidden wallets are a feature I plan to add. I intentionally made the "format storage" command write random data everywhere (instead of all 00s) for this reason.

I had a couple of comments on your protocol:
+ You do not specify the character encodings you are using. For the bitcoin addresses and public keys ASCII will be fine but for the wallet names I would use UTF8 to make it internationalisable (depends if you can display it I guess)
Good point. Currently, the wallet doesn't ever display or parse the wallet name (the wallet name is just there for the convenience of the host), so adding this feature requires no additional code.
+ You have some powerful commands (format, change encryption key) that an attacker can use with no constraints on their use. For instance, a point of sale device that you only want to send sign requests can format your device. Or they can change the encryption password and hold your BTC to ransom.  Perhaps you need a 'hardware protect' physical switch to stop this - maybe you have this already.
Just like with transaction signing, all powerful commands require approval from the user. I haven't done this with the "change encryption key" command yet because I'm still figuring out how to deal with ransom attacks.

One major problem I've identified with the hardware Bitcoin wallet is that since its input user interface consists solely of two pushbuttons, there's no way to get a wallet password into it. Currently, the host is supposed to provide an encryption key derived from a password, and this is bad because:
1. The user must type the password using the host's keyboard and the host may have a keylogger.
2. The host may have an advanced trojan which covertly mixes a "ransom key" into the encryption key, lets you load BTC into a wallet, then holds those BTC for ransom.

How can these flaws be dealt with? Here are the ideas I've come up with:
  • Keep things the way they are. Rely on the assumption that even if an attacker has your wallet password, they probably won't have physical access to your hardware Bitcoin wallet, so they still can't do anything nasty. Rely on wallet backups to mitigate ransom attacks.
  • Change the protocol so that the wallet password is sent in cleartext over the serial port. Then, the wallet has the opportunity (when setting or changing the wallet password) to display the password, allowing the user to detect if a "ransom key" has been inserted.
  • Add a USB port to the hardware Bitcoin wallet and allow the user to plug a USB keyboard into the wallet and directly enter the wallet password.
I like the last option the most, but it does involve additional cost (+0.20 to 0.40 USD for quantity = 1000) and complexity*. Also, since the key derivation function is evaluated on the hardware Bitcoin wallet, it can't be as strong, since the microcontroller on the device will be orders of magnitude less powerful than a modern CPU or GPU.

Can anyone think of a better way to deal with ransom attacks?

I am hardware-phobic but very impressed. Do you wantto makethis device tamper proof? Like erase memory when you detect that someone is trying to open the case?
It would be nice to have tamper proof features and there are microcontrollers out there which have such features. But the semiconductor manufacturers all seem to require the signing of an NDA (that goes against my goal of openness) and probably won't bother talking to me unless I commit to an order of at least 10,000 units. I figure it's not such a big deal: Bitcoins are transferrable. If your wallet is compromised or stolen, you create a new one and use a wallet backup to transfer everything to the new wallet.

That would require the device to recognize the signature. A standard like what's done for HTTPS could be created, with the device trusting a priori a set of CA root certificates, and people signing their URI's with a signed cert. But this set of root certs would need to evolve once in a while. The only way to "safely" update such set of trusted CA is by signing the update with a manufacturer's private key, which the device always trust. That only works as long as the manufacturer doesn't lose control to this key.

Difficult to implement, with some level of danger still, but yeah, a possibility, and certainly much better than nothing.
I don't know whether merchants would like to adhere to this protocol though. It would probably make their life easier if the same certificate they use for HTTPS could be used for this, at least they don't have to pay two different CA's.
It may be possible to verify signed Bitcoin addresses on a hardware Bitcoin wallet, as long as the signatures are generated using ECDSA (and preferably using the curve secp256k1). Most of the code needed to verify a signature is already implemented, because signature verification is similar to signature generation. Also, ECDSA public keys are only 64 bytes each, so there will probably be enough spare space to fit a couple in a firmware binary. Nevertheless, I don't think I'll implement this feature in the near future.

*There's a bit of a cheat I can use here. As I mentioned above, being a USB host is difficult. But most (maybe all?) USB keyboards are also PS/2 keyboards: those USB-to-PS/2 dongles they come with simply re-route the USB pins to PS/2 pins. The keyboard uses some electrical checks to determine whether it is plugged into an actual USB port or a USB-to-PS/2 dongle. Thus it's possible to trick a USB keyboard into using the PS/2 interface, and the PS/2 interface is much easier to work with than the USB interface.
That would require the device to recognize the signature. A standard like what's done for HTTPS could be created, with the device trusting a priori a set of CA root certificates, and people signing their URI's with a signed cert. But this set of root certs would need to evolve once in a while. The only way to "safely" update such set of trusted CA is by signing the update with a manufacturer's private key, which the device always trust. That only works as long as the manufacturer doesn't lose control to this key.

Difficult to implement, with some level of danger still, but yeah, a possibility, and certainly much better than nothing.
I don't know whether merchants would like to adhere to this protocol though. It would probably make their life easier if the same certificate they use for HTTPS could be used for this, at least they don't have to pay two different CA's.
legendary
@EhVedadoOAnonimato - it is a bit off-topic but ThomasV has been thinking about how bitcoin URIs can be signed to prevent atackers replacing the addresses and come up with a couple of proposals.  I don't think it is trivial to solve though.
That software can ask it to generate keys, ask for the bitcoin addresses for the keys and give it transactions to sign. The other software would know about the blockchain, transmit the tx to the bitcoin network and monitor balances.

The hardware device is primarily a key store and can sign tx it is given if the owner presses the button to agree.

That just makes me realize that an advanced malware could still steal from you by replacing every bitcoin address or QR-code your browser tries to display by an address in control of the attacker.

Damn. I just can't think of a way to protect against that.

The only partial defense against such a thing is to never use potentially compromised devices to make large amount transfers (like buying a car or moving your whole savings around). If you're transferring big amounts, make sure both ends - that which sings the transaction and that which provides the output addresses - are safe. Preferably air gapped safe.
But you're still vulnerable on daily purchases.
legendary
How do you get on to the network?

If I understand his protocol class correctly, somebody42's device talks via serial to another piece of software.

That software can ask it to generate keys, ask for the bitcoin addresses for the keys and give it transactions to sign. The other software would know about the blockchain, transmit the tx to the bitcoin network and monitor balances.

The hardware device is primarily a key store and can sign tx it is given if the owner presses the button to agree.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
I am hardware-phobic but very impressed. Do you wantto makethis device tamper proof? Like erase memory when you detect that someone is trying to open the case?
legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
cool! we should work together
anu
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
How do you get on to the network?
Pages:
Jump to: