Pages:
Author

Topic: has anyone ever had an unconfirmed transaction not going through? - page 2. (Read 1614 times)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
I had one without fee and it took almost 10 days to get first confirmation,if your transaction is legll, then it will eventually get confirmed.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427
I have done loads of transactions and all my unconfirmed transactions have been confirmed and bitcoin credited

Some merchants will ask customers to wait for the confirmations but what is the actual risk? and what could happen other than the transaction being confimed?

I made one without fees that did not get confirmed for ~8 days IIRC. I had to double spend it, which is what merchants are afraid of. After enough time has passed most (if not all) nodes will forget about the transaction and its unlikely that it gets confirmed. I could create another transaction that spends the same inputs, but instead of paying the merchant I pay someone else. Should my new transaction be confirmed the old transaction becomes invalid and can never be confirmed.

Which payment processor did that merchant use for your order?

Aren't they are able to seperate transactions with and without any fees?

That's quite an important feature, especially for the protection of merchants.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
If you think you know me.. Think again
People can double spend and have the btc fail and come back to them. So the merchant loses btc.
legendary
Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015
e-ducat.fr
I have done loads of transactions and all my unconfirmed transactions have been confirmed and bitcoin credited

Some merchants will ask customers to wait for the confirmations but what is the actual risk? and what could happen other than the transaction being confimed?

I made one without fees that did not get confirmed for ~8 days IIRC. I had to double spend it, which is what merchants are afraid of. After enough time has passed most (if not all) nodes will forget about the transaction and its unlikely that it gets confirmed. I could create another transaction that spends the same inputs, but instead of paying the merchant I pay someone else. Should my new transaction be confirmed the old transaction becomes invalid and can never be confirmed.

I see, this would mean that there is a lot of transactions that will never be confirmed..

But if money left my btc address and will never reach recipient's btc address where does the money go then?
The money does not leave your btc address with an unconfirmed transaction: the network considers it still there and did not move.
The unconfirmed transaction will eventually be dumped from the nodes mem pool.
If your wallet thinks it has been spent, simply make sure to synchronize it or import the private key in another (better connected) wallet.
Activity: 679

I see, this would mean that there is a lot of transactions that will never be confirmed..

But if money left my btc address and will never reach recipient's btc address where does the money go then?
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.

Activity: 679

Pages:
Jump to: