Pages:
Author

Topic: Has the Merit faucet dried up? Solutions? - page 3. (Read 774 times)

legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
Yes, we need more merit sources.

Maybe a solution for this issue would be to:
  • select a few merit sources that are interested in these topics and regularly posts there for a better distribution of merits
  • have something like a "Rank-o-Thon" (similar to Hackathon  Grin ) where a list of users would be selected and the merit sources would go to their posts and merit whatever they find good
Solution #1 is probably too difficult. Somebody's gotta find those new merit sources. Who will?
Solution #2 is something I've already seen from time to time, one way or another. Can't recall from whom exactly, but might have been Vod? (really unsure about that)

My personal suggestion would be something like "Let Legendary users vote for new merit sources".
Why the Legendaries? They are not likely to abuse it. I.e., make a thread (preferably one where only Legendaries can post) where you can submit suggestions for new merit sources and have the Legendaries vote on the suggestions. Might want to include the Mods in the voters as well.

There is already a process - merit source applicants need to post a thread in Meta, theymos needs to review it. Not sure if he's not reviewing, not finding suitable applicants, not seeing the need for more than 80, but I don't see how a Legendary vote would fix that.
qwk
donator
Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411
Shitcoin Minimalist
Yes, we need more merit sources.

• select a few merit sources that are interested in these topics and regularly posts there for a better distribution of merits
  • have something like a "Rank-o-Thon" (similar to Hackathon  Grin ) where a list of users would be selected and the merit sources would go to their posts and merit whatever they find good
Solution #1 is probably too difficult. Somebody's gotta find those new merit sources. Who will?
Solution #2 is something I've already seen from time to time, one way or another. Can't recall from whom exactly, but might have been Vod? (really unsure about that)

My personal suggestion would be something like "Let Legendary users vote for new merit sources".
Why the Legendaries? They are not likely to abuse it. I.e., make a thread (preferably one where only Legendaries can post) where you can submit suggestions for new merit sources and have the Legendaries vote on the suggestions. Might want to include the Mods in the voters as well.
legendary
There's not enough merit sources to be sure, but I think the awarding of merits tends to poop out near the end of each month.  If I'm not mistaken, merit sources get new allocations of smerits at the beginning of each month.  They probably use them up before the month is over.  That's my guess, anyway.

No, it's a rolling replenishment, i.e. today you'd get back the sMerits you spent 30 days ago, and so on.
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 2190

What do you guys think?

I think that now the merit system is at the second stage of its evolving. The first stage is already gone past, it was useful for detecting an account farmers and a bounty cheaters which gave about 50 merits each other. At the second stage some users still have small amount of sMerit which has been distributed at 24 January 2018 and earned later, but they won't give them easy as they did it before. At the third stage the merit system will be mostly depended on the distribution of the merit sources, and ranking up will be harder than at the present time.

Probably your first solution will be useful in the future, but the second solution is similar to ranking up based on the user activity.
legendary
Activity: 3332
Merit: 6809
Cashback 15%
People, the few non-spammers that don't post in such sections at all but post in the spam boards, unfortunately don't get merits, because other people have given up on reading anything there.  
This is the main reason why people aren't getting their posts merited--the only good sections of bitcointalk IMO are Meta and Reputation.  Everything else is just a spam-fest, and even if you wanted to post in sections like Bitcon Discussion, there's no point.  Anything you post is just going to get buried within seconds.  I posted a question about Changelly dropping Dash in Altcoin Discussion, and I actually wanted someone to answer it.  Guess what happened?  Nobody answered, probably because nobody even saw the question.  It was only after I started a new thread in Exchanges that someone answered it.

There's not enough merit sources to be sure, but I think the awarding of merits tends to poop out near the end of each month.  If I'm not mistaken, merit sources get new allocations of smerits at the beginning of each month.  They probably use them up before the month is over.  That's my guess, anyway.
No, it's a rolling replenishment, i.e.g today you'd get back the sMerits you spent 30 days ago, and so on.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.  I could swear I saw Vod or Jet Cash posting that their smerit supply got replenished at the beginning of each month.  Wouldn't be the first time I misread something.
Activity: 169
Merit: 18
All the default Merit are exhausted and I think DmdrDmdr pointed out this in some of his earlier post that how merit became scarce with the days passed after implementation of the system. merit sources number are hovering around 80 and we have no idea how many merit source are actively performing the duty.

With so many accounts to unlock, so many copy paster to nuke, and with overall spam, I do not think this might be in Theymos priorities.
legendary
On the other hand, I see there is a lack of merit sent out in the Mining, Altcoin, Economics or Local (Romanian - no merit sources here BTW) boards where people have real issues that need to be sorted out.

I try to merit some posts in Mining and Altcoin Mining boards but there is no way I could find time to wade through the cesspool of Alt ANNs or Economics. I don't speak Romanian either. There need to be local sources for that obviously. Other than that, if users only post in ANNs or Economics or Bitcoin Discussion AKA Shitpost Central then we can't really do much to bring merits to them. If they have something useful to contribute they need to do that where it's not drowned in garbage.

select a few merit sources that are interested in these topics and regularly posts there for a better distribution of merits

Local boards - yes. English shitposting boards - not so sure. Would there be anybody willing to do that? Should we even try to incentivize those boards at all?

have something like a "Rank-o-Thon" (similar to Hackathon  Grin ) where a list of users would be selected and the merit sources would go to their posts and merit whatever they find good

Random selection? No. Some sort of system that would bring attention to worthy posts might be useful but I don't have any feasible idea of how that should work. Perhaps the answer is just to add more merit sources and not expect merits on boards that have 20 threads bumped every minute by bounty hunters.
copper member
Activity: 630
Merit: 420
We are Bitcoin!
We need a lot of Merit sources, it may take a while but currently, Merit faucet has dried up. The standards of people giving merits are so damn high. People don't merit normal posts,they merit high quality posts. That needs to be taken care of, to be honest. Otherwise, this ranking wouldn't work for what it was intended.
I kinda like this. The higher the standards the better contents we will see in the future. throwing up 50 merits for a single line post seems very annoying and it happened a lot at the early stage of merit introduction.

Anyway whatever happens, it's actually pretty clear that we need more merit sources. I hope theymos has the same idea in mind or may be a better one.
legendary
Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551
dogs are cute.
This is just the tip of the iceberg, I personally want to merit posts but every time I try to, I end up doing something else than what was intended. So basically, I just merit posts I come across and merit sources are very less, and the worse part is not all of them use their entire source merits, so if they don't , that sMerits ends up being destroyed forever.

We need a lot of Merit sources, it may take a while but currently, Merit faucet has dried up. The standards of people giving merits are so damn high. People don't merit normal posts,they merit high quality posts. That needs to be taken care of, to be honest. Otherwise, this ranking wouldn't work for what it was intended.

Also, like 90% of the posters who get merit, post in reputation, meta and technical discussions. People, the few non-spammers that don't post in such sections at all but post in the spam boards, unfortunately don't get merits, because other people have given up on reading anything there. 
copper member
Activity: 630
Merit: 420
We are Bitcoin!
What do you guys think?
My mind is blank after responding to this topic: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.40528258

By the way I can assure you that I have no complaint against the entire merit system.

PS: Hang on, I will try to put some feedback once I have a fresh mind.  

I also feel that we need more merit sources (may be). There are already a long list of applications for merit source like pugman, babo etc. I believe adding few of them would increase the possibility of  sMerit circulation.
Activity: 616
Merit: 279
Now... hold on... I know what what you guys think: "Look! Yet another a$$hole complaining about the merit system". Just read the post below before posting.

Let me tell you a few things about myself:

Before joining this forum, I have been reading the broads here for about a year on everything Bitcoin & Altcoin related, Exchanges, Trading, what to invest in and what not etc.
As you can see, I have joined at the end of Oct 2017 and by the time the Merit system was implemented, I was a Jr. Member thus 0 Merit by default.
Since then, I have managed to get approximately 0.5-1 merit per day and managed to rank to Full Member before having the necessary activity.
I even had my own FREE post review service thread: vlad230's post review service - Jr. Member and up where I helped people increase the quality of their posts (across 10 pages) and have seen a big difference on the post quality that people had before the Merit System was implemented so, this system has definitely helped to improve the forum.

I have noticed that It's been about a month since I have not received any merit although my posting habits have not changed, I'm mainly interested in Mining, Bitcoin, Altcoins, Trading, helping people with whatever I can etc. and I do have a few threads that I manage and try to create a good resource especially for miners on this forum:

I have noticed however that the majority of merit is only sent out in some particular boards (Meta, Reputation etc.) or for stuff that is not really Bitcoin & Altcoin related like hundreds of merit statistics.
I am not really interested in being a blood hound for scammers, rule/merit abusers (although I appreciate the people who do it) and what not, nor am I interested in merit statistics but does that mean I don't get to rank up on this forum?

On the other hand, I see there is a lack of merit sent out in the Mining, Altcoin, Economics or Local (Romanian - no merit sources here BTW) boards where people have real issues that need to be sorted out. Isn't this the purpose of the community?
I realized some of the boards I mentioned have become spam hang-outs for a lot of people (and this may get your post buried instantly, thus limiting the people who can see it) but for some that are really interested in these topics is really hard to go on.

• have something like a "Rank-a-Thon" (similar to Hackathon  Grin ) where a list of users would be selected and the merit sources would go to their posts and merit whatever they find good
    UPDATE: I think a good start to creating the lists of users that the merit sources would review would be people whom already got the activity but are missing the merits

What do you guys think?

Pages:
Jump to: