Pages:
Author

Topic: Have one in full or just part? - page 2. (Read 314 times)

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 4508
**In BTC since 2013**
October 13, 2023, 06:50:23 AM
Or just click on the option that appears in Bitcoin Core?
I'm confused Tongue I expected this to require installing additional software.

Is it viable to use a VPN system that allows SOCKS5?
Bitcoin Core will just work with any normal VPN service (but that's not Tor).

Actually, I was hoping.  Tongue
I mean, do you need to have Tor installed on your PC or not?

By any chance, I have VPN that gives me onion IP. Would it be an option?

Questions, to understand the various possibilities that exist.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
October 13, 2023, 06:43:21 AM
Any good tutorials for this? Run Bitcoin Core via Tor?
There are several topics about it, for instance this one and this one. I'd like to see a full tutorial.

I'm confused Tongue I expected this to require installing additional software.

Bitcoin Core will just work with any normal VPN service (but that's not Tor).
Activity: 672
Merit: 855
October 13, 2023, 06:34:54 AM

But the other part is you using a pruned node means you’re trusting a third party

Did you mistype something? Pruned node download and verify whole blockchain, so it doesn't trust any 3rd party.

Mixed up by me, only with SPV clients that one needs to full rely on other full nodes. And since it’s a third party then it is a risk trusting them. Definitely off topic on the discussion of prune nodes
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 7410
Crypto Swap Exchange
October 13, 2023, 06:19:28 AM
I'd like to add: for privacy, run Bitcoin Core through Tor, and always make use of Coin Control.

If you only want Bitcoin Core connect through Tor, you can just tick option which available on Bitcoin Core GUI. Otherwise, check this guide https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/doc/tor.md.

But the other part is you using a pruned node means you’re trusting a third party

Did you mistype something? Pruned node download and verify whole blockchain, so it doesn't trust any 3rd party.
legendary
**In BTC since 2013**
October 13, 2023, 05:42:48 AM
I'd like to add: for privacy, run Bitcoin Core through Tor, and always make use of Coin Control.

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
October 13, 2023, 05:19:53 AM
So is there any kind of advantage to having the full node?
The main advantage I see is being able to open an old wallet, or import an old address (watch-only) or private key.

But, to have only the final part of the no, is it viable for the person to obtain the same confidentiality or privacy?
In terms of privacy, yes it has the same level of confidentiality and privacy as a non-pruned node.
legendary
**In BTC since 2013**
October 13, 2023, 03:57:12 AM
Even if pruned node only saves N number of blocks, it still verified ALL the previous blocks that it downloaded (and deleted).
It doesn't just download them from a server nor work like an "SPV client" that relies on other persons' full node.

I understand. In this sense, if the person has this space availability, it is recommended to have the complete node. If you really want to operate a node, of course.

In fact, if a person also wants to have an LN channel, they need the full node, right?
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
October 13, 2023, 01:16:19 AM
But, to have only the final part of the no, is it viable for the person to obtain the same confidentiality or privacy?
In terms of privacy, yes it has the same level of confidentiality and privacy as a non-pruned node.
Both non-pruned and pruned node start to download and verify from block height 0, the only difference is how those store the blockchain.
One keeps full and the other deletes the old blocks.

Even if pruned node only saves N number of blocks, it still verified ALL the previous blocks that it downloaded (and deleted).
It doesn't just download them from a server nor work like an "SPV client" that relies on other persons' full node.
October 12, 2023, 01:07:07 PM

In other words, it will only be useful for the wallet you currently have or that you create after having part of the node assembled. It even makes sense. If it is something older, it can no longer obtain all the transaction information.

But, if you think about it, the same thing will happen in a new wallet, if it only has part of the knot. Older transactions are no longer listed in the wallet. Or am I wrong?

Yeah, you know the pruned node will only have just few 100 blocks, so transaction below that few 100 blocks associated to the key will need to be updated and this can be done by downloading everything again. So if you’re just going to use a new created wallet after that hundreds it will be possible. Not much other than not having the benefit of sync the full blockchain

legendary
**In BTC since 2013**
October 12, 2023, 12:48:56 PM
Many advantages, one is that you get to import a new key on the wallet, but if it is half node I think you cannot run another wallet (imported key) on it. Because an importing a wallet will need transaction history of that wallet and it might be that the few blocks there will not have all of them available.

In other words, it will only be useful for the wallet you currently have or that you create after having part of the node assembled. It even makes sense. If it is something older, it can no longer obtain all the transaction information.

But, if you think about it, the same thing will happen in a new wallet, if it only has part of the knot. Older transactions are no longer listed in the wallet. Or am I wrong?
October 12, 2023, 12:34:20 PM

But, everything together isn't taking up 2TB, is it? You are already preventing the future, right?

Many advantages, one is that you get to import a new key on the wallet, but if it is half node I think you cannot run another wallet (imported key) on it. Because an importing a wallet will need transaction history of that wallet and it might be that the few blocks there will not have all of them available.
legendary
**In BTC since 2013**
October 12, 2023, 12:24:30 PM
In most cases you do not need all of it. A lot depends on the case use.

But, everything together isn't taking up 2TB, is it? You are already preventing the future, right?
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
October 12, 2023, 12:21:59 PM
In most cases you do not need all of it. A lot depends on the case use.

If I want a wallet to receive my signature funds. I do not need to know more than the last month of the blockchain.

Myself when I do a bitcode core down load I do it all.

I just did one on a 2tb ssd along with a linux os build.
legendary
**In BTC since 2013**
October 12, 2023, 12:12:56 PM
I recently noticed that Bitcoin Core allows you to download the entire block, or just the last blocks - allocating just one x GB for that purpose.

Of course, having the complete number is always better. But, to have only the final part of the no, is it viable for the person to obtain the same confidentiality or privacy?
Pages:
Jump to: