Pages:
Author

Topic: Have there been any significant government seizures of BTC? - page 2. (Read 2464 times)

legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
mtgox had its FIAT seized.

as for bitcoin only 11BTC was seized due to some stings involving Silk road, but during those stings MILLIONS of dollars and gold were seized. so it just goes to show even in the silk road land... FIAT is the most drug tainted currency of all.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Annuit cœptis humanae libertas
The only seizure of bitcoin I've heard about was to do with a dealer/user connected to SR (in one of the Carolinas?). It could have been a case of the authorities seizing computer equipment that coïncidentally contained a bitcoin wallet, rather than the police specifically seeking out "illicit bitcoin" as money.
Activity: 122
Merit: 10
I think Mt. Gox have been the only victims so far
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
I don't know about the Bitcoins but I've certainly heard regularly about exchanges in particular having their funds seized or their bank accounts frozen, Bitcoin is an interesting predicament at the moment. On the one hand, governments know it's valuable and if they started taking it for themselves they could make shit tons of money, on the other hand this would mean they would end up unofficially acknowledging its value as a currency ( Even if they didn't say anything, they would have considered it valuable enough to steal ) so all we can do is just wait and see what happens. If they do end up taking Bitcoin they'll most likely risk angering their central bank masters and putting their paper money at risk so it will be awhile yet before we see anything at least openly happen.
Activity: 51
Merit: 0
Would ownership of a large stake of BTC (obviously not that much since total market cap is only around 1.5 bil, but I could see say some drug bust that might have a few million is BTC seized) by a government agency force any kind of regularization of BTC in a governments eyes?

This thought originally popped up when thinking about Mt Gox's massive stash of BTC and what would happen if it was seized by regulatory agencies. I don't think this is going to happen, but I definitely entered hypothetical land and was wondering what ya'll thought about it.

And before the troll posts about how they can just send all the BTC away or refuse to give up the coin, not everyone's wealth is solely stored in BTC and not everyone is willing to live life on the run from the law.
Pages:
Jump to: