Pages:
Author

Topic: Have you had the feeling of a certain arbitrariness by moderators? - page 2. (Read 271 times)

Activity: 2310
Merit: 757
Bitcoin = Financial freedom
that seems to me that it will depend more on who is reporting and who is being reported, I don't think it will work for everyone.
It may happened once or twice when someone mass reports someone's post and tends to believe that they are all simply off topic and delete them without checking all the reported posts apart from that the moderation is more accurate no matter who report the post and whose post reported they will check is there any violation and just go with the rules.
copper member
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1899
Amazon Prime Member #7
The last one I can remember who pissed off about this was nutildah, who seems to have left the forum for good as a result.
I am not aware of any case in which nutildah had any action taken against him for *arbitrary* reasons.

To answer your question, every mod implements the various forum rules and policies a little differently, however, I have never had moderator action taken against me, while acting as a moderator, which similar action was not taken against others in a similar situation. There is one moderator who is not good with keeping confidential information confidential, however, I would not say this particular moderator takes actions that he does not implement for others (that I am aware of).

Unfortunately, I have encountered instances in which some reports of mine were either not acted upon, or marked as "bad", likely because some moderators were not able to immediately independently verify the information, even though the information is available to the admins (and possibly some of the moderators). This is unfortunate because it has resulted in hundreds of reports of mine being marked as "bad", even though the reports were accurately reporting a post violating the rules.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
Yeah off topic reports usually don't work the way you'd expect. As long as the offender makes some sort of reference to the topic, like "yes this is a very interesting topic but <5 paragraphs about their pet peeve follow>", it will stay. I don't think it's arbitrary though, seems very consistent Smiley

Similar issue with shitposts or even borderline plagiarism, but this has already been discussed ad nauseam (Bitcoin Discussion, Press, etc).

What's really arbitrary is someone like this turdhead being allowed to turn the forum into their schizo-diary, while someone else gets banned for one thread.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 2174
Professional Community manager
I personally do not give more than 2 sats about the decisions made by the mods, regarding my deleted posts or not acting on reports.

In my years of being on the forum, moderators tend to be accurate when making decisions majority of the time, based solely on their judgement and perception of the rules and its application, which of itself is not an easy job and if for some reason their decision doesn't agree with mine in some rare instances, I just write it off as human error or we having different views of a situation.

A deleted post or report marked bad, isn't especially a big deal. If it happens recurrently and you feel it is not an accurate decision, then it's understandable to make a complaint to know the reason.

About moderators arbitrariness; I'll say I've not noticed that much. Heavy handed moderation may be present in some boards, but it's still based off some logical thinking and not random actions.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 2017
I say only a certain arbitrariness because I think the moderators do a great job, and I also understand that it happens to them as it happens to referees in sports: they are criticized by everyone when they do not have an easy task.

But I would like us to share experiences if you have had the feeling of, for example, having posts deleted unfairly. Or that reports you have made were not acted upon. Or other things you can think of.

The last one I can remember who pissed off about this was nutildah, who seems to have left the forum for good as a result.

In my case I have discovered a system for not getting off topic replies deleted. It consists of starting by saying "I am sorry that this is an off topic reply but....". Or to write a clear off topic reply but very lenghty, which seems "quality". Although well, that seems to me that it will depend more on who is reporting and who is being reported, I don't think it will work for everyone.

Pages:
Jump to: