Pages:
Author

Topic: HDD mining aside from storjcoin and burstcoin? - page 2. (Read 8663 times)

Activity: 2268
Merit: 870
What? Is there a possibility of HDD mining? I didn't know about that and also at the same time I have 50TB space for hosting server. Also is there a difference between mining by SATA HDD and SSD? SSD are way much faster and maybe size doesn't matter here.
Also anyone which is experiensed, are you mining by servers? And how much profitable is it with 0.08$ electricity cost.
legendary
Activity: 1894
Merit: 1087
someone show us some links to cheap HHDs

I can get 2 tb for 60usd external hhd
Activity: 279
Merit: 250
[Currently have about 12TB going (and will probably add more)...

What is you mining rate with 12TB?

Honestly not sure where you find that lol.  I'm a noob to this stuff.  Which goes to show you, if I can get set up and start mining BURST anyone can.

Go to BURST forum with more specific questions...a lot of helpful people on there.   
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
[Currently have about 12TB going (and will probably add more)...

What is you mining rate with 12TB?
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
I'm mining burst with 80TB and it's pretty great, 40 cents a day profit per 8TB drive, each bought at $170. Electricity costs for them are negligible and they don't go obsolete that quickly.
Compared to my Rx 480 that makes a dollar a day, half of which goes to electricity. My electricity cost is $0.17/KWH

If you have good electric cost, go for GPU mining. If high electricity cost, you might want to diversify your mining equipment a litle.  Wink

$170 is very low price i can't find that model of 8TB at just $170, on amazon i see 270 euro for that, which is too high for my taste

how much is the consumption exactly? 6watt?

btw if i can find them at your price, it is worth a shoot indeed...

5 - 8 watts is my guess, but I don't have a wattmeter to measure though. The drives are active for 30 seconds every 4 minutes, and will use your cpu or gpu to scan the drives. Maybe 20 watts extra during scanning.
I grabbed the seagate 8tb archive HDDs, they were $170 on black friday Amazon US.
Activity: 649
Merit: 505
average power consumption for a burst  miner is around 6 -8 w for  drive... depneds also if you use gpu or cpu to read plot size... gpu tends to have higher efficency with MANY plots....  consider that drives after the plots has ben read (usually takes 15 to 90 sec according to how big is the plot and how you read it)  will sit idling until block found...
Activity: 279
Are there any hdd mining altcoins nowadays aside from storjcoin and burstcoin? Thanks!

Can you share with us the profit we can make with HDD mining.

I haven't heard before that you can mine with HDD but how this works, how many $ for 24h mining with 1 GB space?

Thank you...

http://burstcoin.biz/calculator

1 GB is obviously very small...the more space the better.  BURST recently released a way to mine on your Android phone as well.

From a basic calculation I can see that mining with a hard disk with a capacity of 1000 GB doesn't worth much.

1000 GB for 24 hours gives 74 Burst which is equal to 0.045 USD which is pretty low.

Also how can someone mine with an android phone where we know that android phones storage is 16/32GB + microSD

Thank you...

If you have an interest I would go to the official BURST forums, people there can help you better than me.  http://www.burst-team.us/index.php/forum/

All I can do is speak to my experience.  I bought into BURST and then started mining about 2 months ago.  Currently have about 12TB going (and will probably add more)...in the 2+ months I've mined about 50,000 BURST.  I personally am not looking to mine and just dump (you're right it's not much if you look at it that way).  I look at everything more from an investor point of view...granted BURST is a speculative investment for me.  But based on the metrics I look at BURST is really gaining ground last last 4 - 6 months. And with the green/eco friendly mining aspect I think it has a TON of room to grow.

The other thing to keep in mind is you can also invest BURST into assets and make a return, so that would be another tool you could use to accumulate BURST.  
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
I'm mining burst with 80TB and it's pretty great, 40 cents a day profit per 8TB drive, each bought at $170. Electricity costs for them are negligible and they don't go obsolete that quickly.
Compared to my Rx 480 that makes a dollar a day, half of which goes to electricity. My electricity cost is $0.17/KWH

If you have good electric cost, go for GPU mining. If high electricity cost, you might want to diversify your mining equipment a litle.  Wink

$170 is very low price i can't find that model of 8TB at just $170, on amazon i see 270 euro for that, which is too high for my taste

how much is the consumption exactly? 6watt?

btw if i can find them at your price, it is worth a shoot indeed...
actually best tb/e ratio is for seagate 8tb ... it is possible to get 1tb every 25 EUR paying 200 EUR the hdd ... smaller models  offer 27 - 30 Eur /tb
Activity: 8
Merit: 0

If you have good electric cost, go for GPU mining. If high electricity cost, you might want to diversify your mining equipment a litle.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

anyway i wasn't looking at the net, i made a comparison between the gross of both mining, and you need 5k investment for 0.01 a day with hdd and 300w(50 HDD x 3TB) against 3k investment for 0.01(0.012 actually on zcash) a day with a 6 x 1070 with 700watt

4-6 TB right now seems to be the sweet spot on TB/$

Not a big diff vs 2 or 3 TB drives though.

Activity: 546
It takes a lot to build but not much to lose
Would Swarm Ethereum can be minable as same way as storj and burst etc?
Activity: 128
Merit: 100
i really like the idea of using spare room for projects. do any of these coins use the disk space for something usefull or is it just a concept?
legendary
that is true only if you are in a country with cheap electricity.... thats not your case amph... ONLY spreadcoin at the moment will allow you that incomes of 0.01 profit in day ...  with 8 gtx 1070 , private miner  and HOPING that price will hold  and no one will dump... (anda that you can sell your coins  since the volume is ridiculous compared to burst... spr is only in 1 exchange and has LOW volume... burst is in many exchange , atleast 3 big ones , and has a very big volume)

at the moment to have 0.01 btc of profit in day with graphic cards in EUROPE you will need to invest some 5k..... ( 10 1070 + 2xrigs)

whether it is burst (22x8tb drives + 1 rig to feed them)  whether it is videocard .....

this considered the cost YOU are paying (0.29 USD / 1kwh)

well my situation is bad but it will get better in 2018, cost of electricity will be 0.15 cent(euro)

anyway i wasn't looking at the net, i made a comparison between the gross of both mining, and you need 5k investment for 0.01 a day with hdd and 300w(50 HDD x 3TB) against 3k investment for 0.01(0.012 actually on zcash) a day with a 6 x 1070 with 700watt

the latter is better for me

ps.s not onyl spread is giving 0.01 right now, just check whattomine, you can do 0.01 with 6 card on  3-4 algo
that is true only if you are in a country with cheap electricity.... thats not your case amph... ONLY spreadcoin at the moment will allow you that incomes of 0.01 profit in day ...  with 8 gtx 1070 , private miner  and HOPING that price will hold  and no one will dump... (anda that you can sell your coins  since the volume is ridiculous compared to burst... spr is only in 1 exchange and has LOW volume... burst is in many exchange , atleast 3 big ones , and has a very big volume)

at the moment to have 0.01 btc of profit in day with graphic cards in EUROPE you will need to invest some 5k..... ( 10 1070 + 2xrigs)

whether it is burst (22x8tb drives + 1 rig to feed them)  whether it is videocard .....

this considered the cost YOU are paying (0.29 USD / 1kwh)
legendary
it's centralized in the sense that without 150 TB you can't do anything there, you are mining air/peanuts, wasting time, price is almost dead

the entry level investment to get at least 0.01 btc per day cost you $4k-5K at least, instead with gpu, with less than half of that you get the same, you consume more yes, but far cheaper investment
burst is not so centralized  as you my think... and it is actually a coin that everyone could really join in..... much better coin than anything out there :

Energy friendly: hdd mine uses around 6w h(you can use your hdd with a router or a rspi or a banana pi for instance)

Decentralized : pool available so ... anyone can get a fair share of purst...

just the fact that one burst aint worth much doesnt mean it wont be worth.... the problem with burst is that it is not so popular...

if burst would reach same value of btc then we could really speak about decentralization... no asic involved , no elecricity cost to compete with , and same price for  everyone to mine ....
legendary
Looks like you need at least 50Tb to get some small money out of it

it's not profitable it's a heavy centralized coin i the aspect of mining, it should have done with speed of the ssd not the storage, it can also lead to malfunction with all that giga that are writed there
Activity: 481
I just wonder, if gpu miner ploting faster than disk can read or write, why store plot file? We could just plot thst part what we need in realtime without storing then we could have petrabytes virtualy when nothing on disk

It doesn't work that way, you can only save some time getting the HDD full if you have a higher write, you still need to store files in-order to earn burstcoin.

Summary, the more space you got the better it is (fyi: profit is really bad).
Activity: 273
BD People Are Legend
I just wonder, if gpu miner ploting faster than disk can read or write, why store plot file? We could just plot thst part what we need in realtime without storing then we could have petrabytes virtualy when nothing on disk
Pages:
Jump to: