Pages:
Author

Topic: Heating a Space via Mining - page 2. (Read 3310 times)

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1007
October 05, 2023, 04:24:16 AM
Getting a notification email for this topic, thought to chime in. Last year had to get a room warmed up so the new plaster would dry. After two days of settling, it had to have both air flow and light heat for the water to evaporate, so I dusted off the old L3+ miner and set it up to run air around the room while running an air dryer at the lowest setting. Didn't bring much in in coin, but was a fun to show to the workers that dropped by.

Another thing I've been thinking of is linking liquid cooling from for example a bitmain machine (https://www.coindesk.com/tech/2022/03/14/bitmain-says-new-liquid-cooling-miner-is-its-most-power-efficient-model-to-date/) to a central heating system. Mostly it's using gas to heat water to run through the radiators, but with an abundance of solar panels, even in winter there could be overproduction. Instead of pushing that back into the grid, could be used to heat and mine. unfortunately bitmain isn't giving them away exactly very cheap.
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
October 04, 2023, 01:03:29 PM
Long overdue update. 

I ended up heating the office trailer for 2 winters (2014 and 2015) using miners.  First winter was Rock Boxes second winter was Spoondoolies Jacksons. 

With the power of HODL it was well worth doing compared to space heaters.

I remember those Rockminers. They were nice quiet units.
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 1752
October 04, 2023, 12:49:28 PM
Long overdue update. 

I ended up heating the office trailer for 2 winters (2014 and 2015) using miners.  First winter was Rock Boxes second winter was Spoondoolies Jacksons. 

With the power of HODL it was well worth doing compared to space heaters.
Activity: 64
Merit: 10
September 17, 2014, 09:50:11 AM
I'm currently working on something like this heater for me.
standalone with RPi or TPLink router inside.
Might have a few pics within 1 week or so.

I would love to see what you've done. 

I really think that future of decentralized home mining depends on also using the heat.

Here's a simple back-of-the-napkin calculation - I would be curious to hear if people think this is wildly unreasonable or not.

Let's say the whole thing costs you $1500 to build a 1000W system and you spend about $1700 in electricity for the season (Nov - Feb @ 24h x 30 days x 4 months x 6 cents per kwh) to run it.  As long as your mining efficiency is better than break even for the power you'll make $1700+ in bitcoins.  Assuming you were going to  have to burn that electricity anyway for heat, your net cost is $1500 instead of $1700 for the season. 

Next season you only swap the mining boards so your cost is $1000 for 1000W, but you can reuse the $500 radiator unit.  Assume you again break even, now your net cost for the season is $1000.  Or, if instead you keep your old boards which are now mining at a 50% loss, then you spend $1700 in electricity for 1000W of heat and make $850 of bitcoins.  Either way, you cut your power bill down from $1700 to $850 or $1000.

If the bitcoin price goes up, your mining efficiency is > break even on power or you can use the heat all year (eg. to augment a water heater) then the economics look even better.  If the bitcoin price crashes or mining difficulty increases faster than expected, you'll lose - but nothing ventured nothing gained. 

This isn't a get rich quick scheme, this is a get rich slow scheme.    And hopefully fun; people spend much more to overclock their home PCs with no financial gain.

The three financial caveats you need to accept are:

1) you were going to spend the electricity for heating anyway (24x7 during the coldest months)
2) your mining revenue is greater than, or equal to your electricity costs to run the mining boards (during the season)
3) the up-front cost of the mining boards is less than the cost of a season of electric heating

Notice that the only real unknown is the mining revenue.  However, it is safe to say that the expected return for any mining boards should be greater than the cost of the electricity or else no one would even consider buying it.  From a strict business perspective, the mining operation still runs at a loss of the invested capital ($1000) even if you break even on electricity.

A clever accountant might also recommend you treat the whole thing as a home business.   Then you can deduct the cost of the mining equipment and electricity against the bitcoin revenue and deduct the loss on your taxes for a few years.

Please let me know where my math is wrong; I know I am taking a big risk by proposing a profitable scenario in this forum. :-)
legendary
September 17, 2014, 09:31:56 AM
Why not just make some kind of fire-proof housing for 2x S1's?  Creating a solution from scratch for a small market geared towards home heating would defeat the purpose of using older, less efficient miners that otherwise would have been tossed or sold at a fraction of the purchase price.  Otherwise it would just make sense to buy something like Spondoolies or S3's which would come in at the same price point (or less).

S-3's would work if you find the correct fan's  I am going to do a thread on s-3's with different fans vs the r-boxes

3 r-boxes and a rpi = 400 usd  and  390gh  power =  400 watts

1 s-3 plus the newer fans = 365 usd and 450gh power = 365watts

the s-3 has wifi with an antenna added  if may be better but and here is your but  I do not have a good enough fan as of today.  so far every set of fans that works good enough to cool the s-3 is too loud.

I have this set coming  to me on thurs:

http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Tek-Computer-Cooling-FHP-141/dp/B00A460TK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=silverstone+141
September 17, 2014, 08:55:54 AM
Make sure you have a way to transfer the heat if you are heating the space. You don't want to inhale heat produced from ASIC..

As feature sizes get smaller and chip density increases air cooling is going to be a losing proposition.  Some sort of passive liquid cooling is the ideal way to do it, especially if you want something that your wife will let you put in the living room.   
September 17, 2014, 08:53:45 AM
Why not just make some kind of fire-proof housing for 2x S1's?  Creating a solution from scratch for a small market geared towards home heating would defeat the purpose of using older, less efficient miners that otherwise would have been tossed or sold at a fraction of the purchase price.  Otherwise it would just make sense to buy something like Spondoolies or S3's which would come in at the same price point (or less).

The ideal heat exchanger / radiator would allow you to easily swap out obsoleted boards for new ones.  That way you could amortize the heater over multiple generations of mining hardware.    Even better is enough room to keep older generation mining and just add new next generation boards so you can squeeze the last coins (and heat) out of old hardware.

All mining rigs are going to need the same thing - power, ethernet and cooling; the rest is just mounting.  So in theory the radiator part can be fairly universal.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
September 17, 2014, 04:57:54 AM
Make sure you have a way to transfer the heat if you are heating the space. You don't want to inhale heat produced from ASIC..
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
September 16, 2014, 03:05:35 PM
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
September 16, 2014, 11:54:52 AM
I am sure if we could put a group together interested in home heating from bitcoin mining that we could get an affordable and elegant device made specifically for this purpose.

What I am thinking of is something clean and quiet that could sit on the wall in the living room or den and not have to be hidden in a closet.  Another option would be a device that hooks into a hydronic water loop heating system.

I'd like to start an interest list and make this happen, but we need a large enough group willing to invest in such a system to make the economics work out.  If we could get one of the mining rig firms interested that would also be helpful.  I've made some back-of-the-napkin calculations and I think the goal of nearly free heat is very attainable, even accounting for the initial investment in the mining hardware and heat exchanger.

I'm looking down the barrel of a nordic winter so I could use this kind of system today.  Who's with me? 

Ideal candidates for this system have the following characteristics:
 1) already using electricity for home heating
 2) long and cold winters
 3) own their home

The folks at Nerdalize are developing computational heat exchanger modules specifically for home heating that would be perfect for mining also.  They use general purpose computers for the computation/heat source, but  I have talked with them about adapting their technology for Bitcoin mining.   They are interested, but they would need a large enough order to justify adapting their modules for bitcoin mining.  They have already run evaluations of a KnC Jupiter mining board and their systems could easily handle the high power/heat densities of bitcoin mining chips.  They just need to see customer demand to justify more work in this direction.

One thing to keep in mind also is that mining is about to start running into Moore's law.   That means we could see 20 nm mining chips stay competitive longer than 28 nm chips, and future feature sizes even longer.

This could also be a way to decentralize Bitcoin mining which now seems to be dangerously headed towards data center centralization.

This is where we need someone to make a case that actually looks like a space heater to house the S1s.

S1s really look like crap with their exposed circuit boards, and you also have to deal with an exposed power supply and PSU wires.

I certainly wouldn't want to use them to heat a normal room in my house unless I could hide them.

I'm currently working on something like this heater for me.
standalone with RPi or TPLink router inside.
Might have a few pics within 1 week or so.
September 16, 2014, 08:34:06 AM
I am sure if we could put a group together interested in home heating from bitcoin mining that we could get an affordable and elegant device made specifically for this purpose.

What I am thinking of is something clean and quiet that could sit on the wall in the living room or den and not have to be hidden in a closet.  Another option would be a device that hooks into a hydronic water loop heating system.

I'd like to start an interest list and make this happen, but we need a large enough group willing to invest in such a system to make the economics work out.  If we could get one of the mining rig firms interested that would also be helpful.  I've made some back-of-the-napkin calculations and I think the goal of nearly free heat is very attainable, even accounting for the initial investment in the mining hardware and heat exchanger.

I'm looking down the barrel of a nordic winter so I could use this kind of system today.  Who's with me? 

Ideal candidates for this system have the following characteristics:
 1) already using electricity for home heating
 2) long and cold winters
 3) own their home

The folks at Nerdalize are developing computational heat exchanger modules specifically for home heating that would be perfect for mining also.  They use general purpose computers for the computation/heat source, but  I have talked with them about adapting their technology for Bitcoin mining.   They are interested, but they would need a large enough order to justify adapting their modules for bitcoin mining.  They have already run evaluations of a KnC Jupiter mining board and their systems could easily handle the high power/heat densities of bitcoin mining chips.  They just need to see customer demand to justify more work in this direction.

One thing to keep in mind also is that mining is about to start running into Moore's law.   That means we could see 20 nm mining chips stay competitive longer than 28 nm chips, and future feature sizes even longer.

This could also be a way to decentralize Bitcoin mining which now seems to be dangerously headed towards data center centralization.

This is where we need someone to make a case that actually looks like a space heater to house the S1s.

S1s really look like crap with their exposed circuit boards, and you also have to deal with an exposed power supply and PSU wires.

I certainly wouldn't want to use them to heat a normal room in my house unless I could hide them.
legendary
September 16, 2014, 01:04:31 AM
My heating (natural gas) bill for 2013 winter was reduced about 2/3 overall with last winter mining, while I don't have exact KW stats on hand, I'd estimate last winter I consumed about 4 to 5 KW running 24x7.

This winter I will consume ~6.5KW/hr which comes out to ~22K BTU's/hr.  Still not enough to heat my home, but I guarantee it makes a good dent in my gas bill this winter as it's a 24x7 source of heat.  Currently this week it's been in the lower 40's to lower 60's, a few windows open, and home is comfortable in the lower 70's.  Will have to close all the windows once it starts to stay in the 30s-40's.

Michigan winter gas bill:
2012 mild winter      ~$3,500 (No Miners)
2013 Horrible Winter ~$1,500 (miners)
2014 Winter TBD        TBD Wink (miners)

yeah I am in NJ and my winters are never as bad as yours but last year's winter was a bad one.  The miners liked it and I had a very warm home last year.
Activity: 314
Merit: 250
:)
September 15, 2014, 06:44:40 PM
My heating (natural gas) bill for 2013 winter was reduced about 2/3 overall with last winter mining, while I don't have exact KW stats on hand, I'd estimate last winter I consumed about 4 to 5 KW running 24x7.

This winter I will consume ~6.5KW/hr which comes out to ~22K BTU's/hr.  Still not enough to heat my home, but I guarantee it makes a good dent in my gas bill this winter as it's a 24x7 source of heat.  Currently this week it's been in the lower 40's to lower 60's, a few windows open, and home is comfortable in the lower 70's.  Will have to close all the windows once it starts to stay in the 30s-40's.

Michigan winter gas bill:
2012 mild winter      ~$3,500 (No Miners)
2013 Horrible Winter ~$1,500 (miners)
2014 Winter TBD        TBD Wink (miners)
legendary
September 14, 2014, 11:32:35 PM
Hi Phillip, it may be funny but it is also true!

The new rboxes is what I am thinking, as you suggested.  Perhaps 4 of them. 

you will like them they are sealed, quiet and 4 will use about  550-575 watts..

see if crazy guy will pre-program a rasp pi for you. I am happy to use it.
legendary
September 13, 2014, 03:22:44 PM
Hi Phillip, it may be funny but it is also true!

The new rboxes is what I am thinking, as you suggested.  Perhaps 4 of them. 
legendary
September 13, 2014, 02:55:35 PM

Are you really Lesbian?  Shocked

No the cow is.
[/quote]
You made me laugh out loud.
[/quote]

Good I thought it was funny when I wrote it.  Every once in a while I can be funny.
[/quote]

Phillip is correct, the cow was a lesbian but we ate her last year.
[/quote]

that is also pretty good one.  

Beef it is whats for dinner.  Back to the poster's question.

I am running the newer r-boxes from crazy guy.  

Just the 2. They are pretty quiet units.  You could run a few of them.  2 of them put out 250gh hash power and they use 275 watts
legendary
September 13, 2014, 02:53:07 PM

Are you really Lesbian?  Shocked
[/quote]

No the cow is.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Good I thought it was funny when I wrote it.  Every once in a while I can be funny.
[/quote]

Phillip is correct, the cow was a lesbian but we ate her last year.
legendary
September 13, 2014, 02:48:50 PM
Antminer S1's are going to be the best bang for your buck GHs wise. There were a bunch that just sold for $50 each.  I would setup 4 S1's with 2x of the DPS-800 GBA 850W (1000W on 240V) power supplies and gigampz breakout boards.  It is the absolute cheapest hashing power, bar none.  That's what I started out with a few months ago now,  it's really not much of a learning curve. Configuring routers and setting up wallets is basically the extent of it.  I'd be happy to help you with any roadblocks by PM if you go that route, the Antminer web interface is (nearly) dummy-proof.  Being in Canada, I plan on taking my leftover S1's and spreading them out through my business, home and cottage for some heat+hash. Smiley

www.gigampz.com

Thanks, I am looking at this option as well.
legendary
September 13, 2014, 12:08:03 AM
Since you blow all that air through the miners, you only "collect" the dust there, you don't generate it per se .. Construction areas usually have dust to collect every time when it's hot outside, so I wish you lots of rainy days!

Construction takes place inside the buildings while my office trailer is outside the buildings so physical dust should not be a problem.  Air coming out of the buildings is filtered through several chambers.

Are you really Lesbian?  Shocked

No the cow is.

Good I thought it was funny when I wrote it.  Every once in a while I can be funny.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
September 12, 2014, 10:46:04 PM
Antminer S1's are going to be the best bang for your buck GHs wise. There were a bunch that just sold for $50 each.  I would setup 4 S1's with 2x of the DPS-800 GBA 850W (1000W on 240V) power supplies and gigampz breakout boards.  It is the absolute cheapest hashing power, bar none.  That's what I started out with a few months ago now,  it's really not much of a learning curve. Configuring routers and setting up wallets is basically the extent of it.  I'd be happy to help you with any roadblocks by PM if you go that route, the Antminer web interface is (nearly) dummy-proof.  Being in Canada, I plan on taking my leftover S1's and spreading them out through my business, home and cottage for some heat+hash. Smiley

www.gigampz.com
Pages:
Jump to: