Pages:
Author

Topic: Help for a beginner - page 3. (Read 646 times)

Activity: 36
Merit: 5
April 16, 2019, 08:19:58 PM

My electricity is 0.0575eur/kWh and I live in a apartment building which can get pretty cold specially at winters -- would it be a bad idea to invest in a mining rig these days? It could warm up this flat im living in at the same time

Yes, it's bad idea. I wouldnt advise anyone to start mining, especially if you have no experience.
Another thing, if you get for free or very cheap the equipment or its part . Otherwise, it will end up selling your farm Smiley

Is it worth buying a mining rig now?  I'm still building more of them, so for me the answer is yes.  Your answer may be different.

What are you mining now if you're still building more? and is electricity power free for you?

AMD rigs mostly divided up between Ethereum and Monero, occasionally I'll drop a few of them on a new coin.  NVidia rigs I pretty much just leave autoswitching on YIMP pools for BTC payouts.  I'm building a new rig about every 2 months using some of the BTC to buy parts...basically I just troll ebay for cheap cards & various parts daily, and eventually a new rig appears.

Power isnt free, but I have 120 amps that's heavily subsidized.  Have a friend with industrial power at his business...he eats the electical cost & cleared out space, and gets 25% of the coins mined.  I have a few rigs and a couple Z9 minis at the house, and I just eat the power cost on those.
Activity: 1190
Merit: 641
April 16, 2019, 05:18:53 PM
I wouldn't use PSU: Corsair vx 450 for mining
You got it wrong. Your computer will also consume electricity, and you should not mine on 1 video card. You can use your computer to operate and control other rigs.
If you want to use your rig for heating, you need at least a few rigs for 6-8 video cards.
But you will have other problems - it is noise. At night it will be heard by neighbors and you may have problems( although it depends on the quality of the walls and sound insulation).
If you have a wife or children, it is a bad option to mine at home.

Activity: 644
Merit: 145
April 16, 2019, 03:18:50 PM

My electricity is 0.0575eur/kWh and I live in a apartment building which can get pretty cold specially at winters -- would it be a bad idea to invest in a mining rig these days? It could warm up this flat im living in at the same time

Yes, it's bad idea. I wouldnt advise anyone to start mining, especially if you have no experience.
Another thing, if you get for free or very cheap the equipment or its part . Otherwise, it will end up selling your farm Smiley

Is it worth buying a mining rig now?  I'm still building more of them, so for me the answer is yes.  Your answer may be different.

What are you mining now if you're still building more? and is electricity power free for you?
Activity: 36
Merit: 5
April 15, 2019, 02:38:29 PM
I'd imagine the youtube video of the guy making > 1.00 per day on a 1060 is rather old, or he's valuating his average per day based on what he gets when he converts the obscure spec coin he's mined at an opportune time later on when it lists and pumps.  If you are just going to mine on it when you arent using it (turning on a miner when you are away, using cudominer to start up when its idle, etc) you wont be getting the .27 either. 

1) Do you believe in the big-picture idea of cryptocurrency?  If yes, maybe.  If no, probably not.

2)  Are you financially able to withstand the build out costs, maintenance costs (shit breaks), and electrical costs without taking immediate profits?  If yes, maybe.  If no, probably not.

3)  Time: Do you enjoy tinkering with computers?  And by "tinkering" I really mean regularly diagnosing why _insert_something_here_ suddenly stopped working?  If yes, maybe.  If no, probably not.

Finally, assuming you made it this far having answered yes to the above: 4)  Is it for some reason (be it personal, professional, or regulatory/whatever) more convenient for you to mine coins rather than start dollar cost averaging in by just buying the coins directly?  If yes, then absolutely.  If no, then...maybe.

Activity: 22
Merit: 0
April 14, 2019, 03:00:00 PM
Hello

I ordered a new GPU MSI Gtx 1060 Gaming X 6gb and im thinking, if I start to mine with my computer, what kind of profit im looking at per day?
I already looked the site www.whattomine.com and put my price/kWh and number of GPU's on 1060 (1), and it tells me that best profit would be around 0.27$,
so is estimate value of 24 hours of mining?
One guy from youtube is seemingly making 1.6$ per day with the same card, so im a bit confused

Comp specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H
CPU: Intel i5 3570k 3.4Ghz
Memory: Adata 2x4gb @1333mHz + G.Skill 2x4gb @1333 coming soon
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6gb
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 250gb coming soon
HDD: 2x1Tb and 1x2Tb (4Tb total)
PSU: Corsair vx 450
Pages:
Jump to: