Pages:
Author

Topic: Help: How do I sign a message using my blockchain.info address - page 2. (Read 26122 times)

cp1
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Stop using branwallets
What address did you send the coins from?  Sign a message with that and post it here.
Activity: 177
Merit: 100
You sign it with whatever address you want to prove that you own.  And verify it with the same address.

I get that much, but on test net, I have only one address, and it fails to verify?

So what gives?

I sent the payment to Canary but according to this verification, can't prove it Huh

I won't give up, this has to be simple, and I'm missing something Huh

Thanks!

8 )
cp1
Stop using branwallets
You sign it with whatever address you want to prove that you own.  And verify it with the same address.
You can use any address you own.  So this one for example assuming you were the one sending the coins:  1C2PWB7JoEyT5Yygiq8eG3XC7WcuSdj6eA

That is the third address listed in my 'Recieve' Huh how is that connected with the send?

I'm reading the code now, this is not intuitive by any means!

Thanks!

8 )
cp1
Stop using branwallets
You can use any address you own.  So this one for example assuming you were the one sending the coins:  1C2PWB7JoEyT5Yygiq8eG3XC7WcuSdj6eA
Do it on mainnet and post the address/message/signature here.

address Huh that is where I am hung up? what address? I have many addresses on my mainnet wallet, which one does it use?

this is the transaction : https://blockchain.info/address/1C2PWB7JoEyT5Yygiq8eG3XC7WcuSdj6eA

Thanks!

8 )

Edit: spelling
cp1
Stop using branwallets
Do it on mainnet and post the address/message/signature here.
File - sign message, select address
signature:  HyEGS89+1+1mm91Iexyy5dwuZjfDPBotiNbMkWR3r+tSUSm51LV8xX9RmGYeB6RmRuMqQKi7KSoxmCumbhQDKJs=

File - verify message, enter same address
signature:  HyEGS89+1+1mm91Iexyy5dwuZjfDPBotiNbMkWR3r+tSUSm51LV8xX9RmGYeB6RmRuMqQKi7KSoxmCumbhQDKJs=

Message verified

I just tried this on test net

No Go

one address in the wallet

8 )
cp1
Stop using branwallets
File - sign message, select address

File - verify message, enter same address

Message verified
Well if I can't do this, imagine what someone who doesn't know the code is going through Huh

I'm trying this on testnet now, and nothing is working!

What am I doing wrong?

I have only one address in the testnet wallets, sent 10 BTC to another wallet on a different machine, it received it.

Tried to sign a message, singing was ok, verification is where I'm hung up Huh

What exactly does one use for verification, that is rather 'vague' in the instructions!

Thanks!

8 )
cp1
Stop using branwallets
No, you don't have to have any coins in the address to sign a message.  You just need the private key.  If you couldn't verify it there was probably a problem with spaces or returns.  The message "hi" is different from "hi" and "hi
I tried the Sign message...

Used a valid sending address I own

Signed

Tried to Verify with bitcoin-qt

Message verification failed.

Shouldn't the signed message be verifiable ??

Do I have to send some BTC to my address in order to complete this verification ??

I am going to try this on testnet to see exactly what works and doesn't ...

8 )
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Speaking honestly here. I find this all to be quite confusing.  Shocked
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
This example makes it easy :

Post # 410:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2087551

It is confusing,until you do it once 

Open notepad:

1.Go to your "receive coins" button,click it,copy & paste that addy in notepad.This is YOUR wallet addy,any BTC sent to it will end up in your wallet & no one else's.
I only have one receive addy,if you have more than one...........I don't think it matters,just pick one.Someone correct me if I'm wrong

2.Now,go to "transactions" button,click it, find the transaction you want to sign,right click on it & click on "show details".Copy & paste the "Transaction ID" in notepad.

3.Your ready to sign a message,go to "file",upper left corner,click it & click "sign message".

4.Copy & paste YOUR wallet addy in line 1.........In the body copy & paste the "Transaction ID".Put your info in there too,what the BTC was sent for & how much (EXACT amount),name,shipping address,etc...

5.Click "sign message" on the bottom,it will generate a unique ID #.Now copy & paste the info from all 3 sections in an email or PM,keep them seperate in the email (don't just bunch em together) & volia!!!!

You just signed a message 
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
But the key should be sent as well, shouldn`t it???

No, that's not private key. It's just a digital signature.

Check https://www.khanacademy.org/science/core-finance/money-and-banking/bitcoin/v/bitcoin-digital-signatures to know more about digital signatures.
Activity: 276
cp1
Stop using branwallets
what do I do with the key? Send it as a pm?

Noooo never do that
You sign a message with the key.  Whatever wallet you use must have a "sign a message with this key" option.

So you use your private key to sign a message.  Only the person with the private key can sign the message.  Anyone with the public key (bitcoin address) can validate the message.  It's how bitcoin works -- only the private key holder can sign a message to spend bitcoins.  Anyone with the bitcoin address can verify the bitcoins were spent.
Activity: 465
Why do you sign a msg. Not sure why to do this?

You can prove that you own the address by signing a message with your private key.

An example of why one might use this feature would be to verify an address change or other communication regarding a previous transaction. This would prove you control the address, and therefore any funds that were sent.

I believe many group buys require this for verified communication about a specific purchase.

what do I do with the key? Send it as a pm?
Activity: 294

You can prove that you own the address by signing a message with your private key.

An example of why one might use this feature would be to verify an address change or other communication regarding a previous transaction. This would prove you control the address, and therefore any funds that were sent.

I believe many group buys require this for verified communication about a specific purchase.
cp1
Stop using branwallets

Pages:
Jump to: