Pages:
Author

Topic: Help Needed Recovering old wallet.dat file from 2011 - page 2. (Read 606 times)

legendary
Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571
you have to replace the wallet.dat before you download the chain because it's looking for unspent outputs related to your wallet as it downloads the chain. if you do it later you have to run rescan. also you only replace it after you've shutdown core. never replace the file while core is running. so i suggest shutting down core, replacing the file and then running core and seeing what happens. there's also a recover wallet command line option you can try if the wallet file is corrupted. see salvage wallet: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin#Command-line_arguments

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Thanks, if it works I will Smiley  I doubt there is much in there though I don't remember spending a lot of time on it.
Activity: 185
Merit: 1
 Make sure you dont overwrite the original wallet.dat and just place it there after you delete the default wallet or youll lose money. Keep it in safe place and make copies.  You can try this

Open bitcoin-qt

In bitcoin-qt open console

In console you can type "help" for commands. Enter your password like this: walletpassphrase passphrasetimeout in seconds. If you dont have password then type dumprivkey (with your address) will dump your private key

Copy that key

Open Electrum you can get it in electrum.org site

Choose "New" and "restore wallet"

Enter the copied private key and enter
    You should see your funds. [mod edit: no begging]
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Hi, so I installed bitcoin and did a bit of mining back in 2011, forgot about it until a friend of my started talking about bitcoin and I remembered I had tried it so he suggested I look on my old hard drive for a wallet.dat file, I did and I found one.  I am installing bitcoin core now, downloading part of the chain, I added prune 1000 because it's just too much for my machine.  I did try to open the old wallet by replacing the wallet.dat file with my old file but got a message saying it was corrupted. I am waiting until bitcoin finishes downloading to try it again but if it doesn't work - any suggestions?

Thanks!
Pages:
Jump to: