Pages:
Author

Topic: HELP! Transactions not confirming ;( - 4 btc bounty - page 3. (Read 11889 times)

Activity: 700
Merit: 501
Currently trying Maged's idea of restoring a backup bitcoin folder. Less than 2 days behind, should be up to date soon and know whether I'm all sorted. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1086
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
I found the following in your debug.log:

Done loading
mapBlockIndex.size() = 183184
nBestHeight = 183183
setKeyPool.size() = 100
mapWallet.size() = 1777
mapAddressBook.size() = 1119
addUnchecked(): size 0
CTxMemPool::accept() : accepted ccf585bcfe
addUnchecked(): size 1
CTxMemPool::accept() : accepted ee188b9e04
addUnchecked(): size 2
CTxMemPool::accept() : accepted b1f331143f
addUnchecked(): size 3
CTxMemPool::accept() : accepted 11fd5b6aed
addUnchecked(): size 4
CTxMemPool::accept() : accepted 4b87953acc
Bound to port 8333
06/05/12 22:24 RandAddSeed() 212612 bytes
addrLocalHost = 58.106.25.78:8333

Not sure exactly what that tells us but those are the starting characters of your 5 tx's.

Also found this:

ResendWalletTransactions()
Relaying wtx ccf585bcfe
Relaying wtx ee188b9e04
Relaying wtx b1f331143f
Relaying wtx 11fd5b6aed
Relaying wtx 4b87953acc
received getdata for: tx ccf585bcfed1283d11b5
received getdata for: tx ee188b9e048d4889d7ad
received getdata for: tx b1f331143fbf75f0e8ce
received getdata for: tx 11fd5b6aed10e545136a
received getdata for: tx 4b87953accada36255e8
received getdata for: tx ccf585bcfed1283d11b5
received getdata for: tx ee188b9e048d4889d7ad
received getdata for: tx b1f331143fbf75f0e8ce
received getdata for: tx 11fd5b6aed10e545136a
received getdata for: tx 4b87953accada36255e8

The above actually appears a number of times (so I guess it kept trying to resend these tx's unsuccessfully).
Sorry for the ignorance. This log means nothing to me. Can anyone find anything in here that would tell me what to do?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9cq3u68emdt4hb/debug.log
legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
Note:

I searched for the 5 transactions you reported in the debug.log of my Electrum server  (it is always up).
My server has not seen these transactions; I guess they were not propagated by the network.
It could be a double spend attack, or a problem with the bitcoin client used by your customers.

why don't you ask your angry customers to provide details on the transactions they did?
are they really 5 separate customers?

These are transactions FROM me not TO me. And I am aware from bitcoincharts.com that they are not even on the network as unconfirmed. However, even with a rescan they are no longer showing in my balance.

sorry for the confusion :-)
it looks like they were rejected by the network.
check your own debug.log to see the cause (probably a blockchain reorg).

What should I search for?

search for ERROR.
on Linux, you can use grep :  
Code:
cat debug.log | grep -10 ERROR

you should see lines that look like this:

Code:
ERROR: ConnectInputs() : 6501716a6a mapTransactions prev not found 3ad23a50d9
(with different numbers)

you can also use the first chars of the transaction hashes in the grep command:

Code:
cat debug.log | grep -10 ccf585
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
Well, the easiest solution at this point would be to revert to a recent backup of your wallet (you have one, right?) and double-spend these coins by sending the entire contents of the wallet to another of your addresses.

If I do this will it mess up the 120 or so transactions I've done since the corrupted transactions?

I think the default keypool is only 100.  If you're doing this many transactions you should set the keypool size to 1500 or some other high number so your backups are at least valid for a few days.

Anyway, if over 100 of those transactions are receiving coins to new addresses (this includes any sends with change), you might lose some bitcoins.  Otherwise you should be okay with your backup.  If you've used too many addresses, I'd set up pywallet and remove the transactions from your live wallet after making a backup (without bitcoin running).

Finally, to figure out what went wrong, as ThomasV suggests, check your debug.log.  I imagine yours may be fairly dense if you are doing so many transactions.  Searching for the first 10 digits of the transaction id should get you in the right area.
Note:

I searched for the 5 transactions you reported in the debug.log of my Electrum server  (it is always up).
My server has not seen these transactions; I guess they were not propagated by the network.
It could be a double spend attack, or a problem with the bitcoin client used by your customers.

why don't you ask your angry customers to provide details on the transactions they did?

These are transactions FROM me not TO me. And I am aware from bitcoincharts.com that they are not even on the network as unconfirmed. However, even with a rescan they are no longer showing in my balance.

What should I search for?
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
Maybe you are the victim of a doublespend ?
legendary
Note:

Well, the easiest solution at this point would be to revert to a recent backup of your wallet (you have one, right?) and double-spend these coins by sending the entire contents of the wallet to another of your addresses.

If I do this will it mess up the 120 or so transactions I've done since the corrupted transactions?

If the backup contains all the private keys, a rescan should be enough for it to see transactions that were confirmed. It will see them in the chain.
What's important is that the backup contain all private keys, but not all transactions.
Keep a copy of your current wallet before doing this, of course.

Good point. I'll try this. Thanks!
Note:

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

I thought these transactions were initiated by Jeremy's wallet...
If they are incoming transactions then the problem is not with him, but with those trying to send the money.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

If the backup contains all the private keys, a rescan should be enough for it to see transactions that were confirmed. It will see them in the chain.
What's important is that the backup contain all private keys, but not all transactions.
Keep a copy of your current wallet before doing this, of course.
legendary
Note:

I have 84 other send transactions that confirmed as normal during the same time period.
this suggests that your client is OK.

if you reload the blockchain from scratch it will interrupt your service, and you'll get more angry customers.

just stop your bitcoind and restart it, and check if these transactions are still displayed by your client;
they might have been rejected by the network (eg double spend)

I've restarted it several times, to no avail.

I use a separate wallet for spend transactions and there will be no buy transactions due for 19 hours now which should be enough time to reload the blockchain, plus I have a backup in case I do need to get in earlier. Smiley

legendary
If you do end up deciding you need to reload the blockchain you might also be interested in the following (at least for testing before you end up wasting too much time):

http://eu1.bitcoincharts.com/blockchain/

(these are snapshots of the blockchain taken daily)
legendary
I have 84 other send transactions that confirmed as normal during the same time period.
this suggests that your client is OK.

if you reload the blockchain from scratch it will interrupt your service, and you'll get more angry customers.

just stop your bitcoind and restart it, and check if these transactions are still displayed by your client;
they might have been rejected by the network (eg double spend)
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

Otherwise, you can set-up pywallet and delete the individual transactions from your wallet. It's easy to do this, luckily, but setup is a pain (lots of sitting and clicking until everything is installed).
legendary
Unfortunately these solutions didn't work. I'll be redownloading the blockchain scratch tonight, it seems.

Sorry to hear that - and from a bit of searching it seems that if the issue is actually within your wallet then even reloading the entire blockchain may not fix the problem.

I found the following that might be of help in this case:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=printpage%3btopic=11331.0
Hi all,

Unfortunately these solutions didn't work. I'll be redownloading the blockchain scratch tonight, it seems.
Pages:
Jump to: