Pages:
Author

Topic: help with finding issues in a modifcation of Bitcoin core - page 2. (Read 3357 times)

Activity: 362
Merit: 262
I understand the reasoning behind this but I don't agree with how it is being handled by the core developers. The core developers worry that there won't be enough available inbound connections on nodes if too many people are establishing more than 8 outbound connections.
So you agree.
I don't think putting arbitrary limits into Bitcoin Core is a good idea since it forces others to maintain their own fork if they end up in a situation where these arbitrary limits are not desired.
Well if you want to do something different, you know, you have to actually do it? 
The core developers have essentially caused fragmentation of Bitcoin Core because of this issue. They would rather use FUD to keep people from making these modifications instead of working with them to solve the underlying issues.
What underlying issues? 
The core developers have essentially caused fragmentation of Bitcoin Core because of this issue. They would rather use FUD to keep people from making these modifications instead of working with them to solve the underlying issues.
The core developers did not change the settings.  The core developers even recommend people to not change it.  How are they *causing* fragmentation.
You are using open slots on other hosts that could be used by people who need to sync.
So you are saying that bitnodes abuses the network since it takes up a connection slot on all nodes.

What I fail to understand is how my node abuses the network, because even though it takes up a connection slot, it still has the full blockchain and can relay blocks and transactions. It is a full node
In my mind:
* It takes up a connection slot on each node meaning one less node can connect to that node.
* It decreases privacy of nodes.

To quote the experts (from here: http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/a/8140)
Bitcoin by default will not make more than 8 outgoing connections, and -maxconnections only controls how many incoming connections you allow. Feel free to set this higher, but it will take time before others connect to you in large numbers.

Please don't change [outbound connections], as there is no need. Connectable peers on the network are a scarce resource, and essential to the decentralization. If people go try connect to all of them like some sites do, we'll very quickly run out.

In case you're a merchant or miner, you perhaps want to set up a few fixed connections to trusted others (see the -addnode command line/config option), but having more connections does not mean stronger verification (the reference client always verifies everything) or even faster relaying (as you'll slow down by distributing new blocks and transactions to all your peers). It is mostly a matter of providing a server to the network.
Activity: 261
Merit: 257
Achow101, you are basically asking for help to abuse the network.  Other people are not providing connectivity to you so that you can aggressively use up their resources and monitor their activity. Worse-- you are aggressively connecting to hosts without understanding software engineering well enough to avoid your own system failing-- how do you know that you're not also causing harm to those other hosts?  I hope that other people who understand the nature of the failure you're experiencing will also choose to not assist, sorry.  Please reconsider what you are doing.
I understand the reasoning behind this but I don't agree with how it is being handled by the core developers. The core developers worry that there won't be enough available inbound connections on nodes if too many people are establishing more than 8 outbound connections.

I don't think putting arbitrary limits into Bitcoin Core is a good idea since it forces others to maintain their own fork if they end up in a situation where these arbitrary limits are not desired.

Activity: 268
Merit: 256
You are using open slots on other hosts that could be used by people who need to sync.
So you are saying that bitnodes abuses the network since it takes up a connection slot on all nodes.

What I fail to understand is how my node abuses the network, because even though it takes up a connection slot, it still has the full blockchain and can relay blocks and transactions. It is a full node
How does this abuse the network? Since it is a full node, wouldn't it help the network because it can provide data to all of the nodes that it connects to?
staff
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8672
Achow101, you are basically asking for help to abuse the network.  Other people are not providing connectivity to you so that you can aggressively use up their resources and monitor their activity. Worse-- you are aggressively connecting to hosts without understanding software engineering well enough to avoid your own system failing-- how do you know that you're not also causing harm to those other hosts?  I hope that other people who understand the nature of the failure you're experiencing will also choose to not assist, sorry.  Please reconsider what you are doing.

The first thing that jumps out at me is whether you have increased the number of file descriptors available. And if you know the number 15.04 defaults to.

It may not be related but 646 connections, it is something to check.
Actually, that might be the answer to number 1. I have not increased the limits, and Ubuntu has a soft limit of 1024 files per user, and Bitcoin usually aborts around 1000 nodes connected. It aborts because it cannot open the database, which might be because the limit prevents it from opening another file. I will increase the limit and see what happens.
legendary
Activity: 4130
Merit: 1307
The first thing that jumps out at me is whether you have increased the number of file descriptors available. And if you know the number 15.04 defaults to.

It may not be related but 646 connections, it is something to check.
I've created a modification of Bitcoin core that is like getaddr.bitnodes.io, but is a full node. It records the ip address from an addr message and then connects to each node in the list. However, I have had some problems and need some help diagnosing the issues. The source is here: https://github.com/achow101/fully-connected-bitcoin.

I have three problems currently:
1) Every so often, about 20-ish hours, the node will abort and give some error about "Unable to Open the Database" (I will update this post with the exact error next time it happens).

2) When I run getnetworkinfo from bitcoin-cli, I get this:

Code:
{
    "version" : 109900,
    "subversion" : "/Satoshi:0.10.99/",
    "protocolversion" : 70002,
    "localservices" : "0000000000000001",
    "timeoffset" : -1,
    "connections" : 646,
    "networks" : [
        {
            "name" : "ipv4",
            "limited" : false,
            "reachable" : false,
            "proxy" : "",
            "proxy_randomize_credentials" : false
        },
        {
            "name" : "ipv6",
        },
        {
            "name" : "onion",
        }
    ],
    "relayfee" : 0.00001000,
    "localaddresses" : [
    ]
}
It should have reachable in ipv4 as true and localaddresses should have atleast one ip address.

3) I have this on Travis-CI with Bitcoin core's default travis.yml file. It always errors everytime Travis builds it, and I don't know why. The travis page is here: https://travis-ci.org/achow101/fully-connected-bitcoin

Help would be greatly appreciated for any of these three issues.

Also, the software is being run on two Ubuntu 15.04 VMs, one at home with 3 cores and 4 GB of RAM, the other on Google cloud with 2 cores and 7.5 GB RAM. I am building and running bitcoind from terminal.
Pages:
Jump to: