Pages:
Author

Topic: Hi! I'm a graduate student studying the bitcoin community. - page 2. (Read 2227 times)

legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
Wow, there really is a department of infomatics at UC-Irvine! 

I like bitcoin because of its use in micropayments and its potential for anonymity.  I also think as a deflationary currency it will be a good store of value.

Good Luck with your research!
legendary
Activity: 1316
Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
Let me give a real answer to one your questions. What drew me to bitcoins in the beginning was how easy it was to start accepting payments on a web site. With credit cards it is very difficult to accept them, and if you use a framework you are at the mercy of them. Bitcoins gets rid of that, I can freely and very easy programmatically send and get bitcoins. Also another headache is saving all that credit card information, if you get hacked you just let your whole community be exploited. Bitcoins I can save an address in a database link it to an account and that hacker can't do anything with that information, as long as my private keys are safe in cold storage. Credits cards require a bank account and bitcoins don't, this allows younger developers to get paid for their work. I had a great idea at 14 or 15 that I didn't build out cause I couldn't get all the accounts that would be required for me to accept payments, due to my age. These are very small yet things that impact greatly on a community.

Hi!  Thanks for the input, that's very interesting.  I hadn't really considered how bitcoin might be more accessible for young people than other forms of online payment!
Welcome here.

Here a survey you can use to start with. (a bit old though)

http://simulacrum.cc/2013/02/26/the-demographics-of-bitcoin-part-1/

Thanks!  I actually ran across that post a week or so ago and found it really interesting and helpful.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
TECHNOLOGY, BABY!
Welcome here.

Thanks for the link! I'm writing a paper for one of my courses as well, and this was really helpful!
Activity: 170
Merit: 10
The World’s First Blockchain Core
Welcome here.

I am astonished to discover I have somehow overlooked this survey...thanks for the link.
legendary
Activity: 1372
--------------->¿?
Welcome here.

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131
b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010
Hello Caitie Lustig, we are currently monitoring and researching your activities on the forum.
Activity: 173
Merit: 100
I really want to learn from you guys about what's actually happening in the community and why you're drawn to bitcoin.

Idealism (freedom) or greed (finance) or both.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Let me give a real answer to one your questions. What drew me to bitcoins in the beginning was how easy it was to start accepting payments on a web site. With credit cards it is very difficult to accept them, and if you use a framework you are at the mercy of them. Bitcoins gets rid of that, I can freely and very easy programmatically send and get bitcoins. Also another headache is saving all that credit card information, if you get hacked you just let your whole community be exploited. Bitcoins I can save an address in a database link it to an account and that hacker can't do anything with that information, as long as my private keys are safe in cold storage. Credits cards require a bank account and bitcoins don't, this allows younger developers to get paid for their work. I had a great idea at 14 or 15 that I didn't build out cause I couldn't get all the accounts that would be required for me to accept payments, due to my age. These are very small yet things that impact greatly on a community.
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1006
First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold
With that last name you'll fit right in.  Wink
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
CGWatcher & CGRemote
Activity: 952
Merit: 1009
Hi everyone,

I want to introduce myself: my name is Caitie Lustig and I am a graduate student in the Informatics department at the University of California, Irvine.  I am just beginning my research on the bitcoin community and am excited to be a member of this forum.  It seems like there's a lot of research about the bitcoin community that's been focused on the technical aspects of bitcoin but not the community aspect, and there's been a lot of news articles about bitcoin that are a bit sensationalist.

So, I want to do something different.  I really want to learn from you guys about what's actually happening in the community and why you're drawn to bitcoin.  I really want to hear your stories and what you like about it.

Anyway, I'll also be making another post in the next day or two that links to my survey about bitcoin.  It's for the first part of my research project and if you have a chance to fill it out, it'll help me a lot.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you here Smiley

There is no "community". There is however a pack of starving wolves fighting tooth and flesh to get the first bite out of a cute widdle adorable baby girl dangling over the pit of wolves.
Hi everyone,

I want to introduce myself: my name is Caitie Lustig and I am a graduate student in the Informatics department at the University of California, Irvine.  I am just beginning my research on the bitcoin community and am excited to be a member of this forum.  It seems like there's a lot of research about the bitcoin community that's been focused on the technical aspects of bitcoin but not the community aspect, and there's been a lot of news articles about bitcoin that are a bit sensationalist.

So, I want to do something different.  I really want to learn from you guys about what's actually happening in the community and why you're drawn to bitcoin.  I really want to hear your stories and what you like about it.

Anyway, I'll also be making another post in the next day or two that links to my survey about bitcoin.  It's for the first part of my research project and if you have a chance to fill it out, it'll help me a lot.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you here Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: