Pages:
Author

Topic: Hi, I'm new to the BTC scene - page 3. (Read 2352 times)

legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1001
July 21, 2014, 09:58:19 AM
Welcome, Jenna.
While I agree with others that mining is not a good idea, you can earn bitcoin by selling products and services, and you can earn bitcoin by joining a signature ad campaign here on bitcointalk. Smiley
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
July 21, 2014, 07:48:44 AM
I'm new too, hope to learn something big here  Smiley
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
July 21, 2014, 07:09:44 AM
Hi, I'm Jenna from Toronto, ON and I'm new to the bitcoins scene and just wanted to say hi to all of you.
Yes I'm female and yes I feel out of place, but I overheard some guy at the gym mention that he "mined" $1,000 worth of bitcoins and it kind of intrigued me.
As a student and with a bit of free time I'm going to try to obtain some bitcoins, it may help pay food.

Anyways, I just wanted to present myself and say hi.

Welcome to bitcointalk. Smiley

Bitcoin mining was easy (can be done with your gaming computer) and profitable, but I am afraid the good times are gone already.
With the development of more and more efficient ASICs, the mining difficulty has been going up rapidly and it is very hard to get profit in mining now.

That is true, I have already turned off my rig, because it is not profitable anymore and rather play games with it  Cheesy
Activity: 614
July 21, 2014, 04:35:52 AM
Hi, I'm Jenna from Toronto, ON and I'm new to the bitcoins scene and just wanted to say hi to all of you.
Yes I'm female and yes I feel out of place, but I overheard some guy at the gym mention that he "mined" $1,000 worth of bitcoins and it kind of intrigued me.
As a student and with a bit of free time I'm going to try to obtain some bitcoins, it may help pay food.

Welcome to bitcointalk. Smiley

Bitcoin mining was easy (can be done with your gaming computer) and profitable, but I am afraid the good times are gone already.
With the development of more and more efficient ASICs, the mining difficulty has been going up rapidly and it is very hard to get profit in mining now.
Activity: 762
July 21, 2014, 01:04:04 AM
welcome to the forum. Read as much as you can (lost of things to learn).
Ps. Enjoy at max you student life (best years  Wink)
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
July 19, 2014, 10:06:48 PM
Thank-you all and thanks for the warm welcoming.
Activity: 142
Merit: 100
July 19, 2014, 09:49:22 PM
Welcome abroad.

Keep reading this forum. You will realize how little you know from the media and the education you received.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
July 19, 2014, 09:37:55 PM

Hi Jenny! I'm glad you have chosen to come here and learn more. Right off the bat though, as tempting as it sounds, I wouldn't suggest heading down the mining path. Yes, he mined $1,000 of bitcoin. But either he did it over a year ago when it was easily profitable OR he has an expensive ASIC that costs thousands of dollars. I would focus on learning more about bitcoin and maybe purchasing some through an exchange. Again, mining = not worth it (in my opinion). If you insist, though, you could buy a SCRYPT asic (still, expensive), mine an "alt coin" that is profitable, and sell for BTC. Otherwise, not really worth the effort.
Activity: 700
July 19, 2014, 09:27:08 PM

Hi Jenna, welcome!

I bet you feel out of place because about 99.9% of this forum are guys Grin

I don't know if you want to obtain bitcoins by buying them or not but if you have an amount in bitcoins that is significant to you you should definately read about storing them safely (offline/cold storage and offline generated paper wallets).

Also don't do faucets because they are a waste of time.

And don't trust anyone with your bitcoins, there are a lot of scams/scam attempts in this forum and in Bitcoin land in general, if something looks too good to be true it probably is a scam.
July 19, 2014, 08:33:28 PM
I live in Scarborough, not the nicest area but its nice.. I love Toronto's nightlife though.
I'm originally from Victoria BC so I guess we're both from the west coast!
Nice to meet you.

Funny, I actually lived in Scarborough for 3 years Smiley  True, not the best place...
I've visited BC as well, it's beautiful there!  Hope you can drop in Calgary sometime Wink

I love Calgary, would love to visit again! Buy me a ticket with BTC on expedia! lol joking Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029
July 19, 2014, 06:42:45 PM
I live in Scarborough, not the nicest area but its nice.. I love Toronto's nightlife though.
Nice to meet you.

Funny, I actually lived in Scarborough for 3 years Smiley  True, not the best place...
I've visited BC as well, it's beautiful there!  Hope you can drop in Calgary sometime Wink
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
July 19, 2014, 06:28:15 PM

Hi Welcome to the forum and I love ya!!!!!
July 19, 2014, 06:24:55 PM
Nice to meet you.
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029
July 19, 2014, 06:20:31 PM
Hello, welcome to bitcointalk!  I'm from Calgary but staying at Toronto for a while as well Smiley
If you have any questions about bitcoin, feel free to ask!  This community is a pretty nice one, just ignore the trolls and losers Wink

Torontoians for life (well actually, for 2 months, but oh well)!
July 19, 2014, 05:57:05 PM

Pages:
Jump to: