Pages:
Author

Topic: Holdings of gold vs Holdings of btc - page 30. (Read 62760 times)

copper member
Activity: 658
Merit: 284
October 04, 2017, 06:03:33 PM
Does anyone have any idea how many people are using gold as a store of value vs btc?  And how long do you think until we have the same user Base as holders of gold?
Are you including central banks etc.

In countries like India its cultural to hold.

Bitcoin is a drop in the ocean compared to market cap of gold.

Bitcoin is more profitable than gold these days but still people are investing/holding gold more than bitcoin because they trusted gold long time ago.
Most of the people that are investing/holding gold these days are old, so they don't trust bitcoin that much because they fully understand what is bitcoin and how it works. Bitcoin was invented less than 10 years ago by the youth and also promoted by it. I think bitcoin still have 10 - 20 years  more to beat gold, to be the one with highest number of holders. Only people that really know bitcoin invest into it and also everybody that have serious money is now investing into gold because it's physical and has very low risk of losing money.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
October 04, 2017, 04:31:35 PM
Gold has been around for a long time so it has had time to make its mark on people. Bitcoin is "relatively" new compared to gold. Bitcoin is still trying to find its place in the world and that is why people have gold compared to Bitcoin.
Gold is traditional currency in the history it is use for trading goods and other materials. Gold is better than bitcoin, because gold exists in very long long time but coins exist year 2010 i think. The big difference is the price of bitcoin compare to gold. But gold has lot of resources compare to bitcoin.
Gold has been used and liked everybody since thousands of years ago, I think gold is good for us to use long-term investment because it is more secure and more stable price than any investment, otherwise if we need money quickly then we can mortgage gold.
Gold or bitcoin many people says we know gold is better and many people says bitcoin is better any new one come and see there is make a war 3 who says gold is better and who says bitcoin is better I give you a little suggestion first you learn about gold and bitcoin also which you now this time you hold it but I says bitcoin is batter now this time.
Activity: 90
Merit: 11
October 04, 2017, 12:27:09 PM
Gold is not a traditional currency and would not be accepted as a means of payment, it is used as a store of value. Bitcoin is meant to be a currency and therefore they are entirely different in that sense. I think eventually holdings of btc will outweigh gold but for now they are not even close.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 261
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
October 04, 2017, 12:22:24 PM
Gold has been around for a long time so it has had time to make its mark on people. Bitcoin is "relatively" new compared to gold. Bitcoin is still trying to find its place in the world and that is why people have gold compared to Bitcoin.
Gold is traditional currency in the history it is use for trading goods and other materials. Gold is better than bitcoin, because gold exists in very long long time but coins exist year 2010 i think. The big difference is the price of bitcoin compare to gold. But gold has lot of resources compare to bitcoin.

one weak point of gold is that they do not work as currency, bitcoin has many roles and surpasses them in a complex way, if gold serves only as a long-term asset, then bitcoin works as a profit machine every day with many businesses on offer. Today we are required to see income opportunities from various sources, gold is something that is out of date.

The main point of gold is not to act as a currency but as a store of value, and when compared to Bitcoin, Bitcoin it's the better store of value irrelevantly to the currency part. You can teleport you wealth. See gold is ok, but who trusts a gold cert, and you can't teleport gold or make in invisible / weightless and carry x million through the airport. Cashing in gold is kinda hard also, or unsing it as a means of exchange.

The main point is here is not gold vs bitcoin, it is gold and bitcoin together. I already notice that here
on forum there are too many thread something vs something. I always thing about the ways to do both
in the same time, why not?
   I like gold as precious metal, but as saving in gold never was something interesting for me. I see that
bitcoin made progress more then gold in many centuries before. Now when I think about gold and bitcoin
in far future I can tell that bitcoin will worth much more or nothing, while gold will be around the same
price. Investing in bitcoins is better if you wish profit, in gold if you wish to keep your wealth with small
but safe rise.
legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1006
October 04, 2017, 11:49:53 AM

one weak point of gold is that they do not work as currency, bitcoin has many roles and surpasses them in a complex way, if gold serves only as a long-term asset, then bitcoin works as a profit machine every day with many businesses on offer. Today we are required to see income opportunities from various sources, gold is something that is out of date.

The main point of gold is not to act as a currency but as a store of value, and when compared to Bitcoin, Bitcoin it's the better store of value irrelevantly to the currency part. You can teleport you wealth. See gold is ok, but who trusts a gold cert, and you can't teleport gold or make in invisible / weightless and carry x million through the airport. Cashing in gold is kinda hard also, or unsing it as a means of exchange.
Activity: 1526
Merit: 332
October 04, 2017, 10:10:03 AM
It is true that gold is better than bitcoins yet is more trustwothy than bitcoin but we haven't see the true powers of bitcoin. It is true that gold is better than bitcoin because gold exist in very long time yet it is risky to invest in bitcoin but if we remember, the higher the risk the higher you will get. I guess we shouldn't compare those two because every one of them have their own advantages and disadvantages.
Activity: 1288
Merit: 253
October 04, 2017, 10:01:06 AM

Activity: 700
Merit: 277
October 04, 2017, 09:59:39 AM
Gold has been used and liked everybody since thousands of years ago, I think gold is good for us to use long-term investment because it is more secure and more stable price than any investment, otherwise if we need money quickly then we can mortgage gold.
Activity: 1372
Merit: 261
October 04, 2017, 08:38:02 AM
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1024
October 04, 2017, 07:40:44 AM
I wonder if bitcoin and other digital currencies are actually worth this much or if we are just in an insane half a year bubble? I think the answer is the technology is worth more than gold or traditional currencies because the processing speed is ~10 minutes or less. Modern technology always has the advantage then classical. But maybe not as much as its currently valued.With these features: Decentralised, limited supply, borderless, low fee, censorship resistant, secure, trustless, pseudonym, portable, scalable, programmable, irreversible transactions, impossible to counterfeit.  I will chose holding btc.
The technology and the values it brings like you said is the main thing we are really buying into right now. This is how it should normally be until some set and caliber of people came to centralize the whole thing so as to just keep some as slaves to their screwed up fiat but bitcoin came to liberate us all and I would not prefer it more than gold. Let the gold asset manager that spewed rubbish recently keep his gold to himself.
Activity: 536
Merit: 250
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
October 04, 2017, 05:11:17 AM
The price of gold will never be the same as bitcoin, maybe now they are at same price but in the future gold is more valuable than bitcoin. The value of gold is proportional to time unlike bitcoin its value depends upon the people investing to it and it can may be ban to some countries.

Both are good for investments but i would prefer to keep the gold than bitcoin if i have to choose because in times of catastropes like world war III in which all computers and communications will shutdown including the internet we cannot be able to use bitcoin anymore for sure and afraid it will may lost the price value or our records of it unlike the gold we could carry and keep it always physically and sell or trade it for our survival instantly.
Activity: 1680
Merit: 535
Bitcoin- in bullish time
October 04, 2017, 04:55:16 AM
Does anyone have any idea how many people are using gold as a store of value vs btc?  And how long do you think until we have the same user Base as holders of gold?

For me it is hard to compare both because gold is a literal gold that we could hold and wear while bitcoin is virtual we can keep it on wallets but we cannot hold or wear them. Holdings of both are good investments because as years go by the value becomes higher and that is advantage to the investors.
If you have experience holding both then I guess we can compare, actually it's hard to hold gold since it's a very expensive investment unlike
bitcoin where we can easily have it anytime we want. The good thing with bitcoin is that even a very small time person can invest as long as he has big
dreams in his life.
Bitcoin is very affordable to all of the people even they have a small amount of money because they can easily buy a small portion of bitcoin for their investment. Bitcoin and gold are almost the same in terms of having a deflation opportunity which it helps you to earn more money as the years goes by but bitcoin is still better because it can give you big profits in a shorter period of time while gold needs or requires a lot of time.
Activity: 476
October 04, 2017, 02:03:17 AM
Definitly Bitcoin. Even if there is a apocalypse, I don’t think that every single Server in the Bitcoin network is going down. As long as this isn’t hapenning my Bitcoins are safe. Nobody should be able to steal it as well.

With gold on the other hand, a lot of people are trying to get some gold in their hands when a apocalypse has happened. I mean Dollar, Euros and anything else is gonna be worthless and gold would be the “fall back currency” aside of the classical bartering. Wink
Your Bitcoins would be safe stored / locked away. The only question is, how much will a Bitcoin worth after a apocalypse? And does anybody accept this currency for exchange / trading then?
Activity: 34
Merit: 0
October 04, 2017, 01:44:27 AM
Hard to know who has gold. There is no world gold register unlike a share register. We know there are millions of BTC wallets but a lot of them are empty. It is likely bitcoin will become the new gold. You can carry it around with you but unlike gold you can safely send to someone else on the other side of the world quickly and in any amount. I know people who have sold all their gold and put it into bitcoin, believing it to be a better store of value. Obviously right now there are more gold investors than bitcoin investors, but I think that will change in the future. Gold may cease to the safe haven asset and dramatically lose value in the future as people sell it to buy BTC.
Activity: 2954
Merit: 672
Message @Hhampuz if you are looking for a CM!
October 04, 2017, 12:31:45 AM
Does anyone have any idea how many people are using gold as a store of value vs btc?  And how long do you think until we have the same user Base as holders of gold?

For me it is hard to compare both because gold is a literal gold that we could hold and wear while bitcoin is virtual we can keep it on wallets but we cannot hold or wear them. Holdings of both are good investments because as years go by the value becomes higher and that is advantage to the investors.
If you have experience holding both then I guess we can compare, actually it's hard to hold gold since it's a very expensive investment unlike
bitcoin where we can easily have it anytime we want. The good thing with bitcoin is that even a very small time person can invest as long as he has big
dreams in his life.
STT
legendary
Activity: 4004
Merit: 1428
Catalog Websites
October 03, 2017, 11:58:44 PM
Gold does not lose value as such, whereas Bitcoin is volatile.Gold is also acceptable by many sources anywhere for quick transfer to cash, whereas converting bitcoin is a bit of a hassle.So in the long run gold is a promising investment whereas bitcoin is a means of earning quickly over a short span of time.

The user base of gold is everybody in the world almost.   The reason being every central bank of every country holds some gold, the implication being the FIAT money issued is in some way backed by that governments ability to settle trade in gold should it be required.

Obviously some banks have issued too many notes and have too much debt vs their holdings of gold.   In theory those countries have weak currency and citizens may see assets snapped up foreigners easily able to afford local costs.

Anyway I was going to disagree that gold is quicker to transfer.   Bitcoin should have the advantage in trade and also cost to reassign ownership of.   Gold has to be assayed each time in theory, if coins are minted and backed then maybe its more likely but most will want to check anyway and that means a slow trade.   The whole checks thing is the IP of bitcoin and its relatively fast, they just need to make it more efficient and less hassle away from hash codes and all sorts
Bitcoin is the trading currency and if anything gold is indirect asset to any worth, as said above banks issue notes against it roughly.   This year I have been taking profits into gold but so far the growth has been in crypto but I see gold as cheap vs dollar and potential for USA to raise interest rates above inflation, they are severely restricted in any policy
Activity: 96
Merit: 15
October 03, 2017, 11:25:37 PM

Activity: 392
October 03, 2017, 10:04:17 PM
For me  holding gold and btc is same good becuase gold and bitcoin continiously to rise and increase the value so that's why gold and bitcoin are same but if we talk about most profitable , bitcoin is good.
Activity: 266
Platform for Investing in Cryptocurrency and ICOs
October 03, 2017, 09:46:29 PM
The price of gold will never be the same as bitcoin, maybe now they are at same price but in the future gold is more valuable than bitcoin. The value of gold is proportional to time unlike bitcoin its value depends upon the people investing to it and it can may be ban to some countries.
Activity: 286
October 02, 2017, 02:25:43 PM
Dollar is having a huge pression over it on the last years, maybe they have already a bubble, but still strong for now, gold were used in the past as currencie, it changed to store of value, but it had already raised the much it could, since its a regulated market and controlled by the countries. For other side we do have bitcoin decentralized and doing amazing scores into the last 7 years, sure bitcoin isnt material, because it makes no sense waste resorces to produce bitcoin as money, it would compete with fiat and maybe start a war. On the last 7 years its pretty clear bitcoin is being the best investment option with better return, soo im sorry gold your time has gone already.
Pages:
Jump to: