Pages:
Author

Topic: Home mining is dead. - page 2. (Read 2319 times)

legendary
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8515
'The right to privacy matters'
October 03, 2014, 01:14:35 AM
Home mining is not dead in fact the mega factories would die first before home mining does. They can't recoup their investments and their operating fees when the BTC is  continually going downward direction. They have more pressure to make a profit than avg. home miner. Most of home miners see this as a hobby not a job

well I will give you this a home guy can mine 1 s-3 and just bank the coins .  he will  not lose much doing that.

under 300 for he s-3  40 a month for power.  a small home miner will not lose a lot if he did this.
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
October 03, 2014, 01:12:11 AM
If you have some solar panels at home maybe it could work out your profit.
Activity: 658
Merit: 250
October 02, 2014, 11:53:56 PM
Home mining is not dead in fact the mega factories would die first before home mining does. They can't recoup their investments and their operating fees when the BTC is  continually going downward direction. They have more pressure to make a profit than avg. home miner. Most of home miners see this as a hobby not a job
legendary
Activity: 3276
Merit: 3067
October 02, 2014, 11:51:59 PM
Maybe with the new generation miners, the mining will be business again...

The ANTMINER L1 (Speed: 120MH/s) have some future:

https://bitmaintech.com/
Activity: 752
Merit: 500
October 02, 2014, 11:48:36 PM
I solo mine 3gh.  I figure I have a 1 in 42 million chance of hitting a block every 10 minutes.  Better than powerball odds, not as big a jackpot tho.  But I'll take it.

Is my math right?
Activity: 96
Merit: 10
Tha Chickenator
October 02, 2014, 08:30:21 PM
my KNC mercury is still giving me poker chips for seals, every couple weeks.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
October 02, 2014, 07:11:57 PM
a safer investment is like most say to just buy bitcoin. Mining at home is only profitable if you can manage to mine altcoins and pick a good one. Bitcoin home mining is pointless. Even if bitcoin price does go up cloud mining with companies will still be more profitable. Hopefully there becomes a lot of good competition this way mining will not become lopsided
legendary
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8515
'The right to privacy matters'
October 02, 2014, 06:47:41 PM
I see only spot mining for us home miners.  

5 cents a kwatt

.7 watts a gh is the new montra.

So anyone that can so that can mine at home.  I can't come close to that.

My friends office lets me do 1100 watts at 2.4 cents  that is 3 s-3's.  they will be good to mine for a long time.

My in house is 15 cents the heat benefits lower that to 10 cents at 370 usd this stops in jan.

I now buy coins and hold them.
most of my investment is coins.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!
October 02, 2014, 06:46:08 PM
For BTC maybe. Altcoin home mining is still workable.

Although if the estimated difficulty holds we're on the way to a decrease Shocked

Do you mean SHA alts or Scrypt coins? And are we talking Scrypt ASICs or GPUs?
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
Gems:Crypto
October 02, 2014, 05:41:20 PM
For BTC maybe. Altcoin home mining is still workable.

Although if the estimated difficulty holds we're on the way to a decrease Shocked

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥
October 02, 2014, 05:30:56 PM
As long as Difficulty continues to climb and Asic Manufacturers continue to self mine with their huge industrial farms, the home/hobby miner will be mining at a loss from the word "go".

There's no scenario really where it benefits a miner to home to plug in at this point.  You'll never recoup the startup and operational costs, so why bother.  Even with a fiat price spike, it'd be better off just buying the coin outright.

Home mining truly is dead.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!
October 02, 2014, 05:08:01 PM
I just don't see a scenario where future generations of hardware will make sense at any cost. Efficiency seems to be stalled at .7w/GHs at best. And only the few home miners with sub $0.10/kWh will be able to profit after the next 2 or 3 difficulty adjustments.

Does it make sense for manufacturers to go to smaller process nodes for future generations of miners? It will cost so much more to develop and take so much time, it will be too late for the next gen to make sense for the home miner. And then, would they even bother to sell them at retail?

Massive datacenters will continue to be built by ASIC manufacturers in locations with super-cheap electricity. Therefore difficulty will continue to rise. Even if they could get efficiency to sub .5w/GHs with a smaller process node, it will be way too late for home miners.

Btw, this does not come as a surprise for me. I'm pessimistic about home mining and have been predicting variations of this scenario for months. But I just wanted to get opinions from others. Thanks!
Pages:
Jump to: