Pages:
Author

Topic: Hosts are dropping like flies... or at least dropping me - page 2. (Read 599 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 5
Code:

So buy $3Million worth of miners with a ~10 month ROI, only to have your host boot you after your 12-month contract.... that could hurt.

Would be interesting if someplace would host a mini-container, something with a max of 200kw or so.

SETUP YOUR OWN be more expensive but can avoid 1 year BOOT. OR co-exist with your host with higher fees so the host be profitable to keep you.

Being a small player has something to do with it, BUT being seen as unprofitable customer (none sustainable business) may be more likely. If it is a profitable or sustainable cost paying customer, host will probably love you with even 1 unit hosting.

Invest proper cost into your host. Be reasonable with the host for uptime and maintenance performance. Many host seem to be rejecting S17 and T17 who are paying lower hosting fee while these miners required high maintenance and support requests and frequent monthly bill adjustment due to some offline times and maintenance time needed. If host knows you are PAIN IN THE BUTT customer with essentially no gain or possibly the net loss, those customers be the first to go if someone else offer more profitable propositions. Coindesk.com article said it cost publicly traded company to build the mining data center is about $1,000,000 to $1,500,000 per Mega Watt in Texas.

If use the newest S19 as example, it is about 3000W each. Usable 1Mega Watt can service about 330 units of S19. If use 80% load math, about 270 units per $1,000,000 to $1,500,000. This means if hosting customer does not bring $3,030 to $5,555 profit margin, Those newly built data centers probably has 0 interest to offer hosting to us if we have zero intention to pay off that cost in the next few years with long term contract or start with higher hosting fee.

I am sure, there are much cheaper data center host all over the place with less than perfect performance and conditions but it will work with 80% uptime which be acceptable for mining performance. Cost for those data center may be 50% 75% cheaper but the stability may be the trade off.

Special mining container for sale seems to go in the range of $100,000 to $250,000 with about 300-400 units of S19 capacity. This cost seem not include the electrical infrastructure outside,  Electrical transformer to service this may cost $50,000 to $100,000 to include the electrician and material and permit expenses. This means if any lucky hosting company out there that gets free transformer (If small family owned hosting shop may be BUT as industrial size operation, NOT REALISTIC)

Current Covid crisis, the salary seem to be not cheap now days. Owner wants his pay, company needs administrative staffs as well as customer support and technical staffs. That is additional expense on top of the base electricity cost the hosting company has to pay with rent or mortgage of the business location. I speculate, many small size hosting facility who built 5-10 Megawatt size facilities did not have realistic business projection with real operational cost. They are now slowly realizing what the real cost would be as push to expand their facility further. Now days hyper inflation with everything to include the building material cost is getting so expensive, too.

best option be to search for land or building that has enough electricity you need to setup your own container, or find host who will agree longer term service contract with higher monthly fee to be win-win condition.

quick search shows many host offering immediate hosting option from $0.08/kwh but has minimum sign up quantity restriction of 10 units or more. With current bitcoin price and data center demand, $0.1/kwh even seem reasonable, compare to residential or commercial electricity price and warehouse rent to pay if plan to operate less than 1 Mega Watt. Best $5,000 - $10,000 rent with 1000 amp old ice-cream parlor or old rural agricultural site to find near you.

Best solution be set up your mining on your own land it seems or find a host who offers long term stability but to expect higher signup cost or higher monthly fee to avoid early termination or none renewal pain. If you sign up $0.07/kwh hosting now, higher probability of BOOT at the end of the initial contract term or earliest contract termination date. Miner wants ability to cancel hosting contract as short term as possible = you take risk of BOOT when market heats up.

what puzzle me is a guy who spend $100,000 to buy miners from someone on telegram chatroom instead from the store with the brick building. You expect the miner to be usable for 3-4 years or possibly more but only sign up for cheaper short term cancelable contract. When you rent a store space or your office space, you sign up for 3-10 years lease with the landlord.  Why NOT with your expensive mining business enterprise does not do the same?  

Cheaper shorter term contract is similar to 1-year ARM home mortgage loan that you know you have to refinance shortly after the 1-Year ARM term ends or your monthly payment is so painful until you refinance.

Quick google search shows many hosting options but many seem to be reselling larger hosting companies' space with markup, too. I see $0.089/kwh with 10 units minimum. This means, when the distributor price becomes none profitable or distributor demand unreasonable service from the big host, the distributors to be experience the BOOT. Always GO direct with the HOST to lower the risk be 2cents Wink

Many delays are from cost savings. Many difficulties setting up the data center comes from attempt to save cost via engineering, also. Hence, more delay.

Big questions to who are facing possible BOOT. Refused or Decline to pay extra $25-50 usd monthly hosting fee when you are earning $500-$800 usd per month worth it?

Activity: 544
Merit: 589
The biggest issue I am seeing with hosting is that we are small players.

Yeah, that's defiantly an issue. Looks like plenty of options are available if you want 1MW plus of capacity. But even at the level, the host could still just decide they want the space and boot you after the contract is done. So buy $3Million worth of miners with a ~10 month ROI, only to have your host boot you after your 12-month contract.... that could hurt. Although it would probably only happen if profitability is high, so the miners could be worth close to or maybe even more than what you paid. All my S17s are worth significantly more than I paid for them 2 years ago (in $, not BTC obviously...).

At that point it's probably better to buy your own container and have that hosted. At least then it would be a little more difficult and costly to decide to boot you when profitability spikes since they'd need to buy their own container and install it.

Would be interesting if someplace would host a mini-container, something with a max of 200kw or so.
GREED - the human nature

miner owner wants the cheapest data center, willing to pay only the getto make shift data center on $10,000 equipment. ASIC miners made in china are known with high hardware failure rate. It is developmental device status and level. ASIC miner is known to be unstable or very sensitive to the environmental changes and it can freeze or may need physical power cycle or some technician's troubleshooting time. When a profit margin per 1 device is about $20-30 usd per month, but receive 5 email requests to reboot the equipment, 3 emails requesting hosting fee adjustment just because the equipment was frozen and not producing hash rate, consume 1 hour of technician's physical labor of dismantling the device and troubleshooting. When 1 device goes offline for 30 minutes, you receive SCAM report online, receive negative complain at BBB and your corporate administrative staffs spend hours communicate with BBB to avoid lower rating to be shown on google search. When BTC price is rising, your data center is near full and require more staffs. Your technician's salary is over $20 per hour, remote customer support agent is $10 per hour. There is not much or no profit margin left.

vs

publicly traded companies offering to buy out your entire hosting capacity with none disclosure agreement that generate 0 public online negative complain when 200 equipment under performing with 2/3 hash card operating, 30 dead equipment exist any given days. You can have a few technicians, only 1 administrative assistance who communicate with the public company to have daily update or small chitchat and the minimum electricity load the data center require to keep consuming 24 hours a day be automatically met. Some big companies are paying short term $50-70 profit margin per equipment to be powered on immediately as well as one time bonus of $100+ usd to get the equipment to be online in a few days of notice.

data center also must have minor improvement to accept newer generation, but the data center can not bill customers for the improvement cost, however, terminating the existing customer and accept new big customers who are willing to pay full facility improvement expenses. To build or expand data center is expensive. Data Center will naturally select customer who will pay for the improvement upfront upon signing up for the service.

If you are the data center boss, what would you pick?
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
The biggest issue I am seeing with hosting is that we are small players.
With the great miner migration out of China I am seeing data centers that are being taken over by mining operations.
No press, no fanfare, just slowly pushing out those of us hosting servers / routing equipment and the miners moving in.

I guess there is going to be a lot of that in the dedicated miner hosting market.
Would you want to host 5000 miners from 750 different customers or 5000 miners from 1 customer?
You can fire most of your support staff, no dealing with tons of configuration issues.
Get them power, get them cooling and let their staff deal with the rest.

-Dave
when something goes wrong, sadly it can be super catastrophic Roll Eyes
highly suggest to use mechanical system to lift the equipment in-out of the liquid and watch your thermostat like a hawk. Inspect item and rehears physical effect on some of the components in mid to long term effect. Do not pinch penny as you may experience $1 loss Grin

great technology to use and super stable with S17 and T17, however, it can turn your millions to a dream of the past  Shocked
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Had a discussion in discord about it the other day ...
I'd be interested is hearing from someone running one for a while.

There's a bunch of 'not insurmountable' issues I can think of,
but details from someone actually running one with more than just a few miners,
and handling those issues over a period of time would be of most interest.
That sounds like a plan, maybe someone should start an " immersion cooling" dedicated topic where we all can collectively collect information about suppliers, the Dos and Don'ts of immersion cooling, and whatnot, something like the difficulty topic we have, let me know what you think.

I'll start a thread if I can compile some useful info. It seems like it should be something that can be DIYed for not crazy $, but just the lower cost dielectric liquid goes for ~$10 per liter.

I've contacted these guys that have been mentioned on the forum before for information, https://www.engineeredfluids.com. They have a bunch of good info and guides on their website.

I'm going to price out a system that will work for 28 S17s.

legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U
Sorry to hear the bad news that was brought to you.

Guess that's just the nature of the business. But when I made the investment in the miners I did not consider the fact that if profitability goes up too far, these hosts will drop you as soon as possible so they can utilize their own capacity. And once you get dropped, good luck finding any place to host your 1 gen old miners in a bull market.

I admire your knowledge, I have always been skeptical about the hosting business for many reasons, this one you mentioned being on the top of my list, and then you got nearly the whole world facing power shortage and increased gas/oil prices, it makes things even worse.

By the way, this isn't just you, it has been the "trend" on telegram, many people are facing issues with various hosts all over the globe, I saw someone looking for a new home for a 1000 miners he had somewhere in Russia which the host can't host anymore.

I'm already researching immersion cooling since I know the noise will be an issue.

That sounds like a plan, maybe someone should start an " immersion cooling" dedicated topic where we all can collectively collect information about suppliers, the Dos and Don'ts of immersion cooling, and whatnot, something like the difficulty topic we have, let me know what you think.
Maybe you can sell them your hosted gear cheap or are they just going to end up with it?

I just need to send shipping labels to my NY host, they are close so it only costs ~$20 each to ship them back to me.

The Canada host is another issue. They are in a fairly remote city in north-eastern Canada, just the shipping cost is going to be around $150 each. But the bigger issue is the 27% duty since the miners are from China. So I need to either sell them to someone in Canada or pay the duty to get them back. Still might be worth paying the duty though. At least I know these S17s are solid. No issues on any one of them for 2 years. And I'm hoping to be moving in the spring to an area where it looks like I can get cheaper power.

Activity: 902
Merit: 655
Do due diligence
I was bummed when Bitminter and BTC Guild shut down and they didn't even have gear of mine, it was sad to see trusted OGs go.

Maybe you can sell them your hosted gear cheap or are they just going to end up with it?
sad news. This seems to be common occurring now days Cry

Hope you had a good cheap hosting with the NY company so you have already earned handsomely
I have some miners up at Cryptoboreas who announced earlier this year that they will be shutting down and clients will have until April to get their miners out. That was disappointing, and a huge pain in the ass since I'm in USA and would have to pay $1000s in duties to get them back. But at least they gave us plenty of time to get things figured out.

Now I just got an email from another host I use in NY that they will not be renewing my contract and will be shutting down my miners at the end of the month. I've been month-to-month with them for years, but still ... not even 2 weeks notice?

Guess that's just the nature of the business. But when I made the investment in the miners I did not consider the fact that if profitability goes up too far, these hosts will drop you as soon as possible so they can utilize their own capacity. And once you get dropped, good luck finding any place to host your 1 gen old miners in a bull market.

So looks like come April I'll be down to a single S17pro running in my garage, as long as it's profitable to run at 23c/kwh, or until I find a better option. But that option is a lot less likely to be a host. I'm going to try very hard to figure something else out... time to start begging my relatives with cheap power in upstate NY to let me set up on their property... I'm already researching immersion cooling since I know the noise will be an issue. Ugh.

Pages:
Jump to: