Pages:
Author

Topic: Housing bubble in Australia - page 2. (Read 1852 times)

Activity: 1008
Merit: 355
June 18, 2017, 12:25:23 PM
Theres nothing the government can do as they are beholden to the bankers. Do you remember what Obama did during the financial crisis of 2008? Instead of leaving it alone and let the depression take its course, he allowed the US treasury and the Federal Reserve to pump more money in the system by bailing the fraudsters out. Why? Because hes up for reelection.

The government just decided to print more money so those who are responsible for the problem can be rewarded with new money and just let the future taxpayers bear the burden of the problem. This kind of mentality can result into more economic woes later...it can possibly solve the whole thing from collapsing but the side-effects can be seen years after the solutions are executed.

When the economic system is based on greed and over-speculation there comes a time when the bubble will really pop as the whole thing can't be stretched any longer. Unfortunately, even the government can sometimes be tied and those in power can just be letting things happen and will only be reactive rather than be pro-active for fear of being not politically correct.
legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 1171
June 18, 2017, 12:12:18 PM
It's not just in Australia, on Discovery Channel I watched about real estates that cost 2 millions, 3 millions. Everyone not involved in tech is still trying to survive in the area, and it’s expensive for them too. When will it pop, who can tell, how high prices can go, who knows, will it ever pop? Anyone who gives this much money for a real estate is crazy, this is too much, I would go to pension with this money, I would take care of everything and I would enjoy until the test of my life.

Activity: 2968
Merit: 600
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
June 18, 2017, 10:12:27 AM
I don't think there's a bubble when it comes realty. The simple demand and supply will be the real reason why investors loves to invest to house and lot. It's a basic need of human being and it's a normal movement of pricing for a house and lot. And well it's everyone's dream to have house so he has the right to buy as many as he can and the government will be on their favor as they will pay tax.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
June 18, 2017, 10:07:46 AM
As we all know it's getting more and more expensive to buy a house, and the rate of growth currently associated with investing in a house is just phenomenal, and obviously too good to not be a bubble. We all know that. However, WHEN will this bubble pop?

More and more houses are being built but the demand for it just continues to go up. And many houses are bought and just left to sit there, not even rented out, fueling the problem further because investors just want a safe and profitable investment.

What do you think the governments can do to avoid this? Put a limit on houses per person? Your opinions?
I won’t call it a bubble because there is the demand and availability factor. The scenario is not only in Australia but also all across the developing nations and the business has grown significantly big as in the last few years. Many experts are predicting the continuation of this trend for decades. So, it cannot be a bubble and it may not burst in near future too.

In time of economic crisis all prices tend to skyrocket in this case the one of the dwelling would not be the exception, but in the long run that paralyzes the whole economy and let's not talk about the ecological problem it represents, put a limit on houses per person could be a good measure but not the only one, but everything is connected for example if prices go down at a very low price then would build much more housing and comes the ecological problem, I believe that much more serious studies about the environmental impact in the construction subject must be done but taking into account all people and not only to investors who ultimately only seeks to maximize their profits, Australia  is a very nice place, and in that sense must be taken care of as such by his government.
Activity: 1764
Merit: 584
June 18, 2017, 09:04:10 AM
Bubble or not, better prepare for this so you won't get caught of guard. Hopefully it won't go so bad that people would be kicked out of their houses.

If it does fall, maybe you can take advantage of it and snag the cheaper houses. People who rent out houses would not have any problem since people would always need a roof over their head. When one can no longer afford the rent, someone who is looking for a more affordable place can move in. Best to have houses for different budgets.

Unless the Australian government bans real estate sales to foreigners, the bubble will never pop. Most of the buyers are Chinese and there is no shortage of Chinese population. They will zergrush your homeland till it becomes another China state. Good luck. Sad

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-01/australia-has-worlds-worst-money-laundering-property-market

China...
https://youtube.com/watch?v=RDrfE9I8_hs

Now that's troubling. Do Western countries have protectionist policies when it comes to land ownership? In my country you are mostly required to be a naturalized citizen or at least married to a citizen, to be able to buy land.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1028
June 17, 2017, 11:47:42 AM
People have right to buy many house as much as he/she can.
Investing on bitcoin for buying house may be a wise decision since bitcoin able be more valuable than gold. Buying house with bitcoin also increase bitcoin network world wide !
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007
June 17, 2017, 11:31:45 AM
As we all know it's getting more and more expensive to buy a house, and the rate of growth currently associated with investing in a house is just phenomenal, and obviously too good to not be a bubble. We all know that. However, WHEN will this bubble pop?

More and more houses are being built but the demand for it just continues to go up. And many houses are bought and just left to sit there, not even rented out, fueling the problem further because investors just want a safe and profitable investment.

What do you think the governments can do to avoid this? Put a limit on houses per person? Your opinions?

Have you done a "big short" kind of research ? Have you visited abandoned neighbourhoods ? Have you heard people getting unusual credits ? Have you heard people giving unusual credits ? If so, how many ?

I believe you, but you can't just say it's a bubble because the sector is growing fast. Where I live it's the same, but it's mainly because of the chinese coming here to live, and other countries like Brazil and centre of Europe where is becoming more and more insecure.
We're still a little ways away from being at a point where boots-on-the-ground research like that depicted in "The Big Short" is possible, since the banks started selling the derivatives again in 2015(?) and there needs to be some time for all the bonds to catch up to where they were before 2008. We'll probably see it get to the same place pretty soon.

It should also be considered that there are more factors than just housing now; there is a huge, huge amount of student debt present which is held as a government asset, and we're seeing a lot of people not being able to pay said debts and you can see those people losing their shit in the streets, even online they're talking constantly about how they're unable to pay denbts. The government might experience the collapse of the student loan market, and they can only try to bail out themselves.
Activity: 980
Merit: 506
June 17, 2017, 11:17:29 AM

I won’t call it a bubble because there is the demand and availability factor. The scenario is not only in Australia but also all across the developing nations and the business has grown significantly big as in the last few years. Many experts are predicting the continuation of this trend for decades. So, it cannot be a bubble and it may not burst in near future too.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 250
June 16, 2017, 09:17:52 AM
Australia is very attractive country. Moreover, it is an island country which area is limited. Property prices in Australia can be high for this reason. I would gladly move there to live, but I have no money to afford it.
so do I, that place will be a such wonderful one if happen that i'll be able to succeed with my investment thru crypto currency i will surely go to that country and live for a while, hoping for this dream to come.
Activity: 630
Merit: 272
June 16, 2017, 09:00:03 AM
Australia is very attractive country. Moreover, it is an island country which area is limited. Property prices in Australia can be high for this reason. I would gladly move there to live, but I have no money to afford it.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
June 16, 2017, 07:38:31 AM
It will become more and more difficult to see a big market crash after 2008, because if it happens, every government, central banks and financial institutions know they will suffer like never before. I think you know why...
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
June 16, 2017, 07:33:15 AM

Have you done a "big short" kind of research ? Have you visited abandoned neighbourhoods ? Have you heard people getting unusual credits ? Have you heard people giving unusual credits ? If so, how many ?

I believe you, but you can't just say it's a bubble because the sector is growing fast. Where I live it's the same, but it's mainly because of the chinese coming here to live, and other countries like Brazil and centre of Europe where is becoming more and more insecure.
Activity: 319
Merit: 250
June 16, 2017, 07:10:32 AM
i don't know if you realize this but things are very different in different countries. and you forgot to mention which country you are talking about.
which is why i am going to buy my first house real soon - thanks to bitcoin price rise i have enough money to do it now!
I think he is talking about Australia,the real estate prices are in a sort of bubble and i hope it will calm down pretty soon as it cannot go up further,congrats on making it big with bitcoin,may i ask how much you have invested in bitcoin for you to be able to purchase a house and when did you invest.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
June 16, 2017, 05:28:31 AM
no we don't all know that!
i don't know if you realize this but things are very different in different countries. and you forgot to mention which country you are talking about. for example where i live (which i don't mention it either Wink) the real estate market has been down for at least 6 months with prices falling even.

it usually is an economical thing and is directly related to how developed or underdeveloped the country is. in developing countries the real estate is usually hot and price are rising. some even consider it a good investment. which is why i am going to buy my first house real soon - thanks to bitcoin price rise i have enough money to do it now!
Yes, it varies from region to region and from country to country but in a general perspective if we talk about the real estate business it is the best business in the world with the high profit margin. On the top is the business of ammunition which gives you the top money making margin in the world which is useless I guess, we should stop supporting it.

Anyway coming back to the real issue that this is one of the best revenue generation businesses for the government and the governments always favor this business to support it and it is good for the citizens as well.
Activity: 2282
Merit: 532
Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting
June 16, 2017, 02:08:08 AM
In this government can't make strict regulations, because people are building with their own earnings and hoping for a bigger Profiting. What the government can do is just make the taxation heavier with the person having ownership for two or more houses.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441
June 16, 2017, 02:04:15 AM
Bubbles are caused by cheap credit. See US after dot com implosion - rates were lowered way too much for way too long. The advent of MBS's meant that loan originators didn't have to 'keep' the loans on their books anymore - they sold them on (for fees) to bigger institutions, who packaged them into MBS's (for fees) and sold them off. Not wanting to lose their fees (and bonuses), participants all the way up the line found ways to keep making / packaging / selling more and more loans to more and more borderline customers (who were either greedy, liars or duped).

The common sentiment was that housing could not crash nationwide as it had never done so before, and further, there were only a handful of people who actually understood how the housing bond market worked. Even CEO's of the biggest funds had no idea. They just knew packaging them up and selling them on was very very profitable.

Australia survived the 2008 meltdown, largely due to Chinese stimulus and demand for resources. However it did see an eventual drop in interest rates as global demand slowed in every sector apart from mining. Wage growth has gone nowhere even close to matching house price growth. Low wages hasn't led to less real estate being bought, it has seen people go into more and more debt (check out household debt to gdp stats). Credit is cheap and easy to get. The upswing in housing prices comes from record interest rate lows coupled with a stable job market (now ex perth, Darwin). Wages may not have gone up in years but the cost of servicing a loan has lowered (until recently) - even when you traded off low rates vs price increases.

The problem for Sydney now is that yields are well below inflation, so there is no logical reason to buy as an investor other than chasing capital gains. it is a mania, and has become so unaffordable that a large % of wages now go to mortgage debt. The result is that the retail sector is dying. Rents are high but demand is weak because most of it goes to paying off the banks.

If rates were to rise even 1%, around 20% of households would be screwed, in severe mortgage stress. Australia doesn't control the wholesale rate it pays for credit, that it mostly driven by the wholesale markets. On top of that, Australia's banks are heavily weighted towards residential mortgages, some have over 40% assets in interest only loans and property makes up nearly half of the banks assets. Its an accident waiting to happen.

Home loan standards are being reduced worldwide as a form of damage control to compensate for falling wages.

Cheap credit isn't a primary cause, its a symptom of underlying issues involving growing wealth and wage inequality, a higher inefficient tax burden strangling economic growth and prosperity with increasingly restrictive regulations which strangle the livelihood of small businesses we rely upon to create jobs.

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283
June 15, 2017, 09:43:03 AM

I don't believe that this would be a very good idea, it kinda defeats the purpose of capitalism.
Anyone should be able to acquire as much property as one wants.

Also, bubbles are actually a side effect of capitalism and when the bubble pops, it gives room to new investors/people to get into the market.
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 1162
www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games
June 15, 2017, 08:29:01 AM

This is a genuine problem everywhere nowadays not only in Australia. However this is not something that the government should restrict, like every other commodity or asset the inflation in the prices of houses as well. We cannot say that the only reason for the increase in the price of a house is because people are holding more than one or many at the same time.

The real estate is a business where you have to do this all and the investors in the real estate business are doing the right thing for their future. Also if someone is wealthy enough that he can afford more than one house I guess there is nothing wrong in it.
I don’t think the government will play any such role like restricting it to one house per person.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
ANRYZE TOKENSALE
June 15, 2017, 04:33:36 AM
Australia, as you now, is one of the countries that hasn't had any economic/financial crisis since 1991. And such news is very interesting.
World economic crisis 2008 started from housing bubble.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2420
June 15, 2017, 04:16:44 AM
Unless the Australian government bans real estate sales to foreigners, the bubble will never pop. Most of the buyers are Chinese and there is no shortage of Chinese population. They will zergrush your homeland till it becomes another China state. Good luck. Sad

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-01/australia-has-worlds-worst-money-laundering-property-market

China...
https://youtube.com/watch?v=RDrfE9I8_hs
Pages:
Jump to: