Pages:
Author

Topic: How and Why You Should Set Up Your Own P2P Bitcoin Currency Exchange - page 2. (Read 5766 times)

Activity: 836
Merit: 1007
"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."
In light of the suggestions in this thread I asked the author to re-write this post from the consumer standpoint and here is what he came up with:

How to set up your own bitcoin trading network, protect your privacy and save exchange fees
http://tinyurl.com/d2zzeh4

Problem: The large, centralized bitcoin exchange services are not private (most are now requesting detailed personal information to satisfy Anti-Money Laundering regulations). It also can take time to open and fund an account and the transaction fees can add up. Not to mention, these centralized exchanges are vulnerable to targeted attack by cyber-criminals and governments.

Solution: Set up your own bitcoin trading network

Here’s how you do it:

Essentially you want to cultivate your own personal network of trusted trading partners. Make a market in bitcoin among your social network. Put the word out that you are the “go to guy” to buy or sell bitcoin. Build your “little black book” of trading partners that you can contact whenever you need to increase or decrease your bitcoin holdings.

Build your reputation as a trusted trader (Bitcoin-OTC, Forum Reputations, BTCnearme.com). Ask every trading partner to think of you first when they need to buy or sell. Point out the privacy and money-saving advantages of staying “off exchange”. Don’t charge an exchange fee.

The goals are to:

1. Help others in your personal community easily move in and out of bitcoin

2. Ensure yourself a reliable source of buyers and sellers

3. Facilitate the easy exchange between currencies which helps remove friction in the bitcoin economy

4. Avoid exchange fees

5. Preserve privacy

6. Reduce risk of attack from predators

Ideally we may someday arrive at the point where everyone is an exchanger and the process of exchanging bitcoin will be as easy as asking someone to “break a twenty”.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers
Just going to the city center, probably spending ~1 hour there with someone who is afraid that 3 confirmations might not be enough and I run off to double-spend his 5 BTC and the trade fees on exchanges mean that I could only do this as a hobby, not valuating my time invested. Otherwise I might earn more by sewing Nike shoes in Thailand... Roll Eyes

Lol, when someone wants multiple confirmations for less than 4 digits you should just make a face at them.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1006
Just going to the city center, probably spending ~1 hour there with someone who is afraid that 3 confirmations might not be enough and I run off to double-spend his 5 BTC and the trade fees on exchanges mean that I could only do this as a hobby, not valuating my time invested. Otherwise I might earn more by sewing Nike shoes in Thailand... Roll Eyes

Or you give the buyer your address (house number), let him come to you, and when he calls you 2-5 minutes and the transaction is done. Use a 3rd party service like mtgox/exchange/instawallet/easywallet.org to have instant transactions.
legendary
Activity: 2618
The problem with "decentralised" exchanges is that they are not that profitable. Adding a personal touch to service (which is basicaly what Trader Steve has advocated) takes time and PR skills. If you have cheep time+skill resources you may try to compete against centralised and automated exchanges.

If a person is already long on bitcoins, then it would be pretty risk-free to make a few bucks by exchanging bitcoins as well. For example, buy on mtgoxlast and sell on mtgoxlast * 1.05

I would code a better competitor to BTCNearme.com web site, but currently I have my hand full of work with all my old bitcoin projects Cheesy
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
The problem with "decentralised" exchanges is that they are not that profitable. Adding a personal touch to service (which is basicaly what Trader Steve has advocated) takes time and PR skills. If you have cheep time+skill resources you may try to compete against centralised and automated exchanges.

I do not know economic realities in US (and they probably vary greatly depending on state and size of city). However, in Sydney it is hard to find a merchant who is making less than 2-3 AUD per customer at the checkout (not per item, people oftern buy more items). If you sell 4 BTC for around 21 AUD than fee would be ourageous 15%.

On top of that, to manage risk you need volume. Earlier or later someone will push you a counterfited bill or a shady persona will try to protect you for a fee.
I think the point of this article is to make a market for yourself, not to run a business.

Well yeah, maybe the goals are a little different. OK, it is great to have ideals (eg. nonexistant exchange fees), but who would do some real work, such as running an cash exchange without reward?

The thing is, to improve bitcoin cash liquidity, you need more than few hippies doing cash trading with bitcoins. You need people dedicated to running cash exchanges. And by marketing cash exchanges as a business, they could catch on. A cool way to create a little additional income or something.

BTCNearme.com seems great, but I would add couple of little features:

- send email directly from the site to sellers/buyers
- allow listing your offer/amount with bitcoin-otc style (or some easier way?), eg. "{{ mtgoxlast }} * 0.95"

The optimal process for buying would be:

- look up on the list, find someone pretty near and with decent price, contact using form included on the web page
- make your offer, and wait for contact. Email is not shown on the page, you are first contacted using the form, and then you can continue with email.

Yes, there is the business profit approach and then there is the personal profit approach. I profit by not having to pay exchange fees and by having a steady market of buyers and sellers. I like your ideas for BTCnearme.com. If I knew how to program I would try to implement some of these. The basic idea is sound. It connects you with local traders and then you can build a relationship and trade directly in the future without having to go through the site. The idea behind the article, I believe, is to build long term trusted networks.
I think the point of this article is to make a market for yourself, not to run a business.

Well yeah, maybe the goals are a little different. OK, it is great to have ideals (eg. nonexistant exchange fees), but who would do some real work, such as running an cash exchange without reward?

The thing is, to improve bitcoin cash liquidity, you need more than few hippies doing cash trading with bitcoins. You need people dedicated to running cash exchanges. And by marketing cash exchanges as a business, they could catch on. A cool way to create a little additional income or something.

BTCNearme.com seems great, but I would add couple of little features:

- send email directly from the site to sellers/buyers
- allow listing your offer/amount with bitcoin-otc style (or some easier way?), eg. "{{ mtgoxlast }} * 0.95"

The optimal process for buying would be:

- look up on the list, find someone pretty near and with decent price, contact using form included on the web page
- make your offer, and wait for contact. Email is not shown on the page, you are first contacted using the form, and then you can continue with email.
Yes, the point I think is to simply build a large network of people you can trade with on a regular basis. I've been doing this myself and I make trades even when I don't have to because I want a ready market of buyers and sellers coming to me so that I always have a way to buy or sell without fees.
And in addition, it should be practical guide, not list of philosophical reasons why decentralized exchanges are good...
I like this article, but bitcoin guys really lack marketing skills. Nobody gets what a "decentralized p2p currency exchange is".

A better article would be "How to make easy money by exchanging bitcoins" or even more provocative "How to get rich via running a bitcoin cash exchange". OK, probably it isn't that good way to get rich, but at least the title would catch people's attention Wink
From http://tinyurl.com/dyu4xcq :

How and Why You Should Set Up Your Own P2P Bitcoin Currency Exchange

Problem: Centralized exchanges are vulnerable to attack and/or regulation by existing power structures.

Solution: Decentralize the exchange process.

Here’s how you do it:

Essentially you want to cultivate your own personal network of trusted trading partners. Make a market in bitcoin among your social network. Put the word out that you are the “go to guy” to buy or sell bitcoin. Build your “little black book” of trading partners that you can contact whenever you need to increase or decrease your bitcoin holdings.

Build your reputation as a trusted trader (Bitcoin-OTC, Forum Reputations, BTCnearme.com). Ask every trading partner to think of you first when they need to buy or sell. Point out the privacy and money-saving advantages of staying “off exchange”. Don’t charge an exchange fee.

The goals are to:

1. Help others in your personal community easily move in and out of bitcoin

2. Ensure yourself a reliable source of buyers and sellers

3. Facilitate the easy exchange between currencies which helps remove friction in the bitcoin economy

4. Avoid exchange fees

5. Preserve privacy

6. Reduce risk of attack by existing power structures

Ideally we may someday arrive at the point where everyone is an exchanger and the process of exchanging bitcoin will be as easy as asking someone to “break a twenty”.

Pages:
Jump to: