Pages:
Author

Topic: How can Bitcoin be used to promote ethnic diversity? - page 2. (Read 4468 times)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250
I am Puerto Rican, my skin town is brown. Due to the thread starters logic, I deserve free bitcoins due to the color of my skin and origin of birth.

Give me bitcoins or you are racist and propagate white dominion over the lesser races. Don't be racist, send me your BTCs here and I declare you non-racist.

1J1HRekySAL1NbubY5W88esaDZnVgeGydf

Yes, but I'm a black-Asian-Navajo autistic kid who's also paraplegic, so I think that trumps your Boricua awesomeness.  Sorry.  Send ME all YOUR bitcoins, or you are a hater.  Also, did I mention I'm mentally retarded? 
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
I am Puerto Rican, my skin town is brown. Due to the thread starters logic, I deserve free bitcoins due to the color of my skin and origin of birth.

Give me bitcoins or you are racist and propagate white dominion over the lesser races. Don't be racist, send me your BTCs here and I declare you non-racist.

1J1HRekySAL1NbubY5W88esaDZnVgeGydf
It's economically neutral - there are no barriers to entry, so it should propagate to whoever is interested. If you want more to use bitcoin, by all means go tell them about it! Cheesy

This sort of attitude, denying white privilege while claiming an equal playing field exists, merely perpetuates racial inequality. It's nothing more than an excuse for inaction and an attempt to moralize imperialism.

Is that right?  Well, based on your deep understanding of this subject, what color am I?

I'm going to guess either Vulcan or Asgard.
It's economically neutral - there are no barriers to entry, so it should propagate to whoever is interested. If you want more to use bitcoin, by all means go tell them about it! Cheesy

This sort of attitude, denying white privilege while claiming an equal playing field exists, merely perpetuates racial inequality. It's nothing more than an excuse for inaction and an attempt to moralize imperialism.

Hey that's not fair.  We have Genjix, our token terrorist and Satoshi is Japanese so he's our Asian guy.  We are diverse.
Activity: 138
Today business products and even ideas are recognized as worthless if they don't promote ethnic diversity.

Some people take so-called "diversity" as their religion.  I prefer to be more rational.
Activity: 84
Merit: 11
You guys are too kind to the OP.

Fortune 500 companies are not bastions of any kind of society I want to live in.  They're ruthless dictatorships. In the U.S., there's no social contract to receive a corporate charter.  That is at least given lip service in Europe and Asia.

Fiat money is a weapon to steal wealth. You are expected to put up something of scarcity as collateral to get a loan. Bankers print fiat money so there's no scarcity but if you fail to give it back at the end of a loan you lose this scarce collateral.

How is that more equitable than bitcoin?

legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo

Money is colour-blind ....

just like the man said, no action needed.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Talking about the "need for racial diversity" is inherently racist.

Hear, hear!
Activity: 126
bitcredit:  do you have ideas or suggestions?

I think a global currency like bitcoin will do a lot to promote understanding and diversity, but did you have something specific in mind?

i have an idea, gavin - if you will pardon my tiny voice...

i'm not convinced that, on a world-wide basis, race is anywhere near as important to Bitcoin as numbers.  and numbers are clear:  the vast majority of the world is poor.  that may be partly because of racism, but from a capitalist perspective that doesn't matter.  pure capitalism is color-blind.  so...

if we want acceptance, we therefore want numbers.  massive numbers.  micropayments is not so much the issue -  what about microloans?

have you approached kiva (http://www.kiva.org/ )?

has anybody?

they have a [claimed] 98.71% re-payment rate.  good business there.

maybe everybody on earth doesn't have a computer - but really, we'd like to get away from the mining paradigm anyway, wouldn't we?

tell you what though - damn near everybody on the planet has a phone...

there could be some serious money in those numbers.  and some even more serious acceptance...
Activity: 123
Merit: 101
What use is Bitcoin if it doesn't do the same? How can we ensure that Bitcoins are distributed equitably to traditionally underrepresented groups? What is being done to ensure the proliferation of Bitcoin infrastructure amongst communities of color?

These three questions in brief:

What use? Money is money. Like conventional currencies, distribution of bitcoin is dependent on market forces and regulatory bodies.

Equitable distribution? Perhaps some benevolent actor will start pre-loading One Laptop per Child machines with the client and one bitcoin.

What is being done? Nothing that I'm aware of. There's some idle talk of hawala networks, and if bitcoin becomes useful it will certainly be widely adopted in the Southern hemisphere. As Garret Burgwart noted, go tell someone - charitable organizations are an especially good way to get bitcoin circulating amongst whatever communities interest you.

At any rate, examples of racial equality  based on what Fortune 500 companies do suggests to me "troll post" but I'm willing to believe you're acting in good faith. Just so you know, board members of that group of companies are currently around 73% white males, not exactly a benchmark of diversity.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1010

Is that right?  Well, based on your deep understanding of this subject, what color am I?
Activity: 18
race plays no factor in an anonymous environment and even so I've never heard anyone complain its all white dudes on usd.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
Talking about the "need for racial diversity" is inherently racist.
Activity: 64
Merit: 10
There's no such thing as race.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2300
Chief Scientist
bitcredit:  do you have ideas or suggestions?

I think a global currency like bitcoin will do a lot to promote understanding and diversity, but did you have something specific in mind?
legendary
Activity: 873
Merit: 1000
Activity: 406
Merit: 256
Erhm, what?

There literally is no white privilege in bitcoin. I guarantee you that if someone logs onto bitcoin-otc, or pms me on the forums, they can be sold bitcoins for either a check in the mail or a wire transfer, or dwolla - there are tons of ways to get bitcoins.

Unless something drastic has happened lately, minorities can get bank accounts, write checks, mail a letter, and use the internet. Thus, anyone that can do those things can use bitcoins.  I don't offer a 5% bonus to whites buying bitcoins with my service, or anything like that.

There's no racial inequality built into bitcoin  Roll Eyes
Activity: 78
Merit: 10

Activity: 406
Merit: 256
Today business products and even ideas are recognized as worthless if they don't promote ethnic diversity.

Ethnic diversity is quickly being realized as the single most important objective for human endeavor. Fortune 500 companies realize this and have complex plans to encourage diversity. Workers are often sent, on company time, to diversity seminars. For the government, the same is true. Since the 1950s, the United States Federal Government has worked relentlessly to promote integration and diversity in the United States and abroad.

What use is Bitcoin if it doesn't do the same? How can we ensure that Bitcoins are distributed equitably to traditionally underrepresented groups? What is being done to ensure the proliferation of Bitcoin infrastructure amongst communities of color?

Activity: 28
Wow, the UN-commies are coming  Huh Praise The Lord And Pass The Ammunition...
Pages:
Jump to: