Pages:
Author

Topic: HOW CAN BITCOIN STORED IN DOWNLOADED WALLET BE RECOVERED? - page 2. (Read 211 times)

legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
Now I want to understand, assuming I downloaded for instance Bitcoin Electrum wallet and maybe someday they have a hack or something, will that not affect my Bitcoin?
Electrum is an open source wallet. The code has been reviewed by many people and no vulnerability has been detected. Your keys are stored locally on your device and they are not kept in any server.
So, we can be sure that electrum is safe enough (if it's used in the correct way). But take note that any online device is always prone to hacking. It's possible that your device is infected with a malware and it's compromised.
If you want to be completely secure, you should run electrum on an airgapped device, make your transactions offline and your keys should never connect to the internet.
Activity: 2310
Merit: 757
Bitcoin = Financial freedom
Well, Bitcoins are not really stored in your wallets, it's in the blockchain and your wallet is just an interface to access it. In case if you lost the wallet due to data corruption, device lost or anything then you can simply import the same wallet into another device with Recovery seeds.

In case if someone hacked your wallet there is no reason for them to keep the bitcoins there and if still do then just create a new wallet and move whatever funds are left in there ASAP.

Blockchain wallet is non-custodial but its not really a best as you think. If are looking for alternatives to electrum then you can consider BlueWallet which is open source Bitcoin wallet.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
In search of a good wallet to store my Bitcoin, I have come across many recommendations like the ones from Ratimov, mk4 and others. I also understand the bold statement of "NOT YOUR KEYS - NOT YOUR COINS" that is visible in this  forum. Now I want to understand, assuming I downloaded for instance Bitcoin Electrum wallet and maybe someday they have a hack or something, will that not affect my Bitcoin? How can I recover my Bitcoin with my seed phrase in case of a breach of the Electrum system? Are these downloadable wallets truly decentralized?

Furthermore, can scammers create wallets that fall into these categories with the sole aim of stealing people's fund when they have gotten popular and the number of users they target?

Finally, my findings shows that Blockchain is one of the pioneer wallets that I thought was decentralized. I want to ask if they are still decentralized and if they are perfect for use? If no, what are the weaknesses and limitations that make people opt for other wallets.

Please pardon me if these questions do not meet your expectations.... I have fallen victim of centralized systems pretending to be decentralized before and this is why I am asking for clarification.
Pages:
Jump to: