Pages:
Author

Topic: How can I keep MYSELF from spending my BTC in the next 5 years? - page 3. (Read 2260 times)

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
What's the best way to store it for a given amount of time if you don't trust yourself?

Develop self-discipline. 

If you have a gambling problem, join gamblers anonymous.
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
That's a very bad idea, you should always be able to spend your money, we never know what the future will bring, you might not be here to spend that money in five years...
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1004
Is there a way I can make BTC unspendable in the next 5 years?  I know it's "programmable money," but can I do this outside of a 3rd party app?

I can keep my BTC in cold storage, but the temptation will always be there to take it out of the safe and spend it.  What's the best way to store it for a given amount of time if you don't trust yourself?

Think of it like a CD.  Is there a viable option that exists now?

I guess you could create and sign a custom transaction, moving your bitcoins from your current address A to a new address B.  You'd want to set the "sequence" field of your input to 0 (anything other than 0xffffffff will do) and set the lock_time for the transaction to a UNIX timestamp, say 1585699200 (1st April, 2020).  This transaction should only be valid when included in a block with a timestamp greater than this.  You can keep your private key to address B somewhere safe, backup the signed transaction, and destroy the private key to address A.  Then the only way you will ever retrieve these bitcoins will be to wait for 5 years and then broadcast the transaction.

I'm fuzzy on the details.  You might want to double-check my claims and maybe even do a test run before throwing your Bitcoin savings at this.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000
make a paper wallet, and give it to a notarium, or safebox in bank or wherever
legendary
Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005
Id look at something like contracts. Is it possible? I think so.   Do I know how to do it? No idea...

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Contracts

Activity: 82
Merit: 10
Is there a way I can make BTC unspendable in the next 5 years?  I know it's "programmable money," but can I do this outside of a 3rd party app?

I can keep my BTC in cold storage, but the temptation will always be there to take it out of the safe and spend it.  What's the best way to store it for a given amount of time if you don't trust yourself?

Think of it like a CD.  Is there a viable option that exists now?
Pages:
Jump to: