Pages:
Author

Topic: How can I trust an altcoin when... - page 2. (Read 1660 times)

legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1024
May 21, 2015, 05:45:47 AM
I wanted to play around with some altcoins but many of the main websites are sketch at best.  For example when checking out UltraCoin, their recommended miner has spyware in it.  What altcoins can you trust?

Most coins with team members/developers that use their real names and have been around for years you can trust.

Using real names can be faked, "Proof of Developer" was used with many fake ids in order to give the illusion of trust. Basically you can't trust anyone but if they've been around for a while and people aren't complaining about them then they are probably trustworthy. I've had one issue where I paid for some work and the guy was complaining he suffered from massive migraines and then updated Skype that he was in the hospital and then never heard from him again, the work he did for me was a bit shoddy but he kinda delivered and the source was clean. It was a clone of communitycoin and I learnt a fair bit using that source, it was getting him to add in coin control in which I paid 0.5 BTC and then he disappeared so if anything I only overpaid a bit but other than that I haven't had any real issues with people I've met.

I also don't trust newbies and wouldn't download anything from anyone unless getting to know them first, also they could have bought their account. Not sharing personal information freely doesn't make a person untrustworthy, if they've been around for ages then there are probably lots of people that know who they are but just don't share their private information out of respect.

"Trust cannot be learned, purchased, or acquired-- it can only be earned." -Anonymous

Earning takes time, so asking others for recommendations is probably a bad starting point. Maybe figure out what's most important to you in a coin and then work out which coins have best implemented those features and have the most trust worthy community and devs.

This is good advice.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
May 21, 2015, 04:30:43 AM
I wanted to play around with some altcoins but many of the main websites are sketch at best.  For example when checking out UltraCoin, their recommended miner has spyware in it.  What altcoins can you trust?

"Trust cannot be learned, purchased, or acquired-- it can only be earned." -Anonymous

Earning takes time, so asking others for recommendations is probably a bad starting point. Maybe figure out what's most important to you in a coin and then work out which coins have best implemented those features and have the most trust worthy community and devs.
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1176
@FAILCommunity
May 21, 2015, 04:19:23 AM
The guy is not asking for cheerleaders of their beloved coins. Sometimes you can just answer what you think, instead using another thread to say how much you are in love with your cryptocurrency.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
May 21, 2015, 02:17:57 AM

nxt is one of the best out there and very different from regular coins
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030
Twitter @realmicroguy
May 21, 2015, 01:34:27 AM
I wanted to play around with some altcoins but many of the main websites are sketch at best.  For example when checking out UltraCoin, their recommended miner has spyware in it.  What altcoins can you trust?

Most coins with team members/developers that use their real names and have been around for years you can trust.
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042
White Male Libertarian Bro
May 21, 2015, 12:18:43 AM
What altcoins can you trust?

NXT
Activity: 342
Merit: 250
May 20, 2015, 10:13:18 AM
If you don't want to take chances then install any new wallets in a virtual machine like vmware. Don't risk installing them directly on your computer.
Activity: 60
Merit: 10
May 20, 2015, 09:38:45 AM
Don't download the crappy new coins that spring up, go for an established one and only download a client from a trusted source. I'd still not instal any alt coin wallets on a computer that had bitcoins on just to be safe.
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
May 20, 2015, 09:34:07 AM
Pages:
Jump to: