Pages:
Author

Topic: How can someone move my btc that is a local wallet? - page 2. (Read 383 times)

legendary
Activity: 3514
Merit: 5123
https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC
I've been pretty save. Passphrase is pretty long random characters.  Very strange.  Someone hacked into my BInance account.  maybe my computer is compromised?  I don't get it.

I checked the debug.log on my bitcoin-data directory.  Apparently the transaction was done on 4/15/20 02:39 local time.  But during that time the bitcoin-qt is not running.  What gives?

Well, a compromised computer would do the trick... If somebody has access to your wallet.dat AND is able to capture your keystrokes when entering the passphrase, he can rob you blind.

Could you post (part of) your debug.log? If the log entry was generated on 02:39 , it means your wallet was running at that point in time... However, like i said before: it's perfectly possible to spend your funds while your wallet is not running, the only thing a thief needs is the private key(s)... When he has the key(s) he can spend your unspent outputs at any time he wishes, he does not need your wallet to be online.

PS: posting your log can decrease your anonimity, but it does not contain information that will allow anybody to steal from you again.
Activity: 8
Merit: 2
I've been pretty save. Passphrase is pretty long random characters.  Very strange.  Someone hacked into my BInance account.  maybe my computer is compromised?  I don't get it.

I checked the debug.log on my bitcoin-data directory.  Apparently the transaction was done on 4/15/20 02:39 local time.  But during that time the bitcoin-qt is not running.  What gives?
legendary
Activity: 3514
Merit: 5123
https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC
Today I just noticed someone moved all of my btc from my private wallet to another address.  Strange thing is my bitcoin-qt is not running during that time.  How can this happen?  I just lost all those coins!

Any ideas on what could cause this? Or how can someone pull this off?

Well, somebody must have had access to your wallet.dat (since you're using bitcoin-qt). There are some other possibility's, but they're really far-fetched (like somebody using the json-rpc interface, but that would require access to your computer from within the same network, an unlocked wallet,a weak password).

Did you lock your wallet using a strong password?
Did you save your wallet.dat on the cloud?
Did you give your wallet.dat to somebody else (a spouse, somebody unknown,...)?
Does anybody you don't trust 100% have access to your computer?
Do you run a virusscanner?
Is there a firewall?
Do you install any programs from untrusted sources?
Did you import private keys yourself?

If somebody has access to your wallet.dat, or is able to export your private key(s) while bitcoin-qt was running, he can spend your funds whenever he/she likes, your wallet doesn't have to be online for this... He can just sign the spending transactions with the key(s) he stole earlyer.

Activity: 8
Merit: 2
Today I just noticed someone moved all of my btc from my private wallet to another address.  Strange thing is my bitcoin-qt is not running during that time.  How can this happen?  I just lost all those coins!

Any ideas on what could cause this? Or how can someone pull this off?
Pages:
Jump to: