Pages:
Author

Topic: How can we improve Namecoin adoption? - page 2. (Read 1630 times)

Activity: 672
Merit: 500
March 05, 2015, 05:00:38 AM
Why do we need a decentralized dns system. Can you explain?
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
March 05, 2015, 04:51:27 AM
Despite searching the forums, I'm surprised that this topic hasn't come up. Namecoin is an interesting and potentially innovative piece of technology. Development of it began while Satoshi was still posting in these forums although back then it was called BitDNS. The basic idea seems to be sound - a decentralized domain name system that can also be used as a generic distributed naming system.

Problem is, after four years, Namecoin adoption seems to have stalled. It's disappointing that there are so few websites using .bit domains and most domains have been taken up by squatters. The official FAQ says that the latter is not a huge problem and cites increased renewal fees as the answer but it's still the case that many useful and potentially valuable domains are now lost (e.g. namecoin.bit).

Do you think there is a place for Namecoin in the future? And if so, what will it be? Could Namecoin completely replace ICANN's existing DNS system and bring us closer to a fully decentralized Internet with companies like Google and Facebook using .bit domains (unlikely) or will its use largely be restricted to sites that are at risk of censorship (more likely)? And most importantly, what can we do to improve Namecoin adoption? I seem to remember seeing a service that translated Bitcoin addresses into short, simple names with the entries being stored in the NMC blockchain. I can't find any mention of it via searching on Google but projects like this could help bring widespread adoption of Namecoin one step closer to reality even if the DNS system itself doesn't reach widespread adoption.
Pages:
Jump to: