Pages:
Author

Topic: How did this hack happen? - page 2. (Read 272 times)

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 6415
Farewell, Leo
March 15, 2021, 02:57:32 PM
I have used blockchain.info as a place to store one of my wallets for many years now.
But blockchain.com isn't a place to store your wallets for many years! You have to understand that you're trusting your laptop and every program it has installed, your email service, your phone (if it has access to your email account) and blockchain.com itself.

Any ideas on how this happened?
There are millions of ideas on how did this happen, but I'd say the most probable:  The phone had something malicious installed. I'm sorry for your four thousands of dollars damage. I hope you now know that you should never store any bitcoin online. Use non-custodian wallets instead.

I don't have Russian or Chinese ringtone apps on my phone.
What does that have to do with your security?
Activity: 19
Merit: 3
March 15, 2021, 02:47:51 PM
I have used blockchain.info as a place to store one of my wallets for many years now. It has never been compromised. Every time I log into the wallet I am required to verify I am logging in via an email sent. Nearly all of my logins over the years have been from my laptop at home. This past weekend when bitcoin hit 60k while visiting my parents (on their secure wifi) I logged in to blockchain.info on my phone (updated google pixel phone) via the chrome browser. I had to verify my log in attempt in my email as usual. At 8:36am I saw my balance, an all-time high, it was there. I used my phone, as usual for a few minutes, checked on the news feed. Checked text messages. A few minutes later I went back to the blockchain page to look at the balance again and it was zero.  The one outgoing transaction took place at the same time I was logged in and using my phone.

https://www.blockchain.com/btc/tx/54cbef2320e888e9720c1301b597872bde216a549ecd0b49444a8c9a81ae83bf

My phone is updated with the latest security patches and I don't have Russian or Chinese ringtone apps on my phone.

Any ideas on how this happened?
Pages:
Jump to: