Pages:
Author

Topic: How do I setup a headless bitcoin server? - page 2. (Read 6293 times)

Activity: 590
Merit: 500
Makes the entire json api useless doesn't it.

It might, but it depends on the context.  If you want to read account status or do transactions from within a webapp the JSON API is pretty handy and lightweight (the alternative would be to execute a bitcoind shell command and possibly parsing the output).  For the everyday usage (like transferring bitcoins, generating new addresses) the commandline interface should be sufficient.

Cheers,
The first example is exactly what i want to do, but it just doesnt work for me at all. I cant have server A connect to server B with the JSON api and the error messages are all the same.
Activity: 566
Unselfish actions pay back better
Makes the entire json api useless doesn't it.

It might, but it depends on the context.  If you want to read account status or do transactions from within a webapp the JSON API is pretty handy and lightweight (the alternative would be to execute a bitcoind shell command and possibly parsing the output).  For the everyday usage (like transferring bitcoins, generating new addresses) the commandline interface should be sufficient.

Cheers,
Sounds interesting. Makes the entire json api useless doesn't it. Im gonna have to give this a try. Seems like it will be more secure also.  thanks for the help.
that got the server running but I cant conenct to it externally.
here is my conf file
rpcuser=xxx
rpcpassword=xxx
rpctimeout=30
rpcallowip=*.*.*.*
server=1
rpcport=8332

should it be different?
rpcallowip is like that so it takes all connection, i think.

My ~/.bitcoin/bitcoin.conf only has

Code:
rpcuser=myUsername
rpcpassword=myPassword

This make bitcoind bind to localhost/127.0.0.1 and port 8332.  You should only choose something else than localhost if you're on a trusted localnet.

To connect from an external host (example.com), use ssh:

Code:
me@home:~$ ssh [email protected] bitcoind getinfo

Cheers,
that got the server running but I cant conenct to it externally.
here is my conf file
rpcuser=xxx
rpcpassword=xxx
rpctimeout=30
rpcallowip=*.*.*.*
server=1
rpcport=8332

should it be different?
rpcallowip is like that so it takes all connection, i think.
also, as soon as i close putty ssh connection the server goes down again. I have change to fedora 14.
Any ideas?
Code:
$ nohup bitcoind -server &

Cheers,
that didnt work either. Any ideas?
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005
Hello,
I am trying to setup a headless bitcoin server.I only have ssh access. I am using ubunto 9.10. when I do ./bitcoind64 I just get a blank line. and a blinking curser. I cant access it though. if i do ctrl + c and then do ./bitcoind help or getinfo it says it cannot connect to server. can someone help me out here?
Try: bitcoind -daemon
Hello,
I am trying to setup a headless bitcoin server.I only have ssh access. I am using ubunto 9.10. when I do ./bitcoind64 I just get a blank line. and a blinking curser. I cant access it though. if i do ctrl + c and then do ./bitcoind help or getinfo it says it cannot connect to server. can someone help me out here?
Pages:
Jump to: