Pages:
Author

Topic: How do you short cryptocurrencies? - page 2. (Read 11574 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 0
January 15, 2018, 09:22:08 AM
I have no idea how to do this.

Any help would be appreciated.

How? CarefullyGrin
Activity: 475
Merit: 251
VTOS
January 15, 2018, 09:12:04 AM
I am not expert trader so I short when I feel like coin won't recover, I don't if I trust coin with my heart, its not rational i know but markets aren't rational at all, all moves are somewhat emotional.
Activity: 175
January 15, 2018, 09:10:04 AM
Aren't the losses proportional to the amount shorted? Why can they be bigger than normal trading?
Activity: 20
January 15, 2018, 09:03:27 AM
Binance offers margin trading.

As other users said, you have to study very carefull this kind of trading, since the loss can be very big.

I recomend you to look for how to build long/short portfolios, going long on some asset and short on other ones, hedging out market risk.

Activity: 65
Merit: 10
January 15, 2018, 08:58:37 AM
I wouldn't advise you to stay away from margin trading. Just don't invest a large sum in the beginning.
After you gain experience do whatever you want, but be careful.
Activity: 33
January 15, 2018, 08:45:21 AM
So, No one really answered the OP question. What sites allow Margin/short trading(means bet against the market)
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Sound. Fury. Signifying.
October 12, 2017, 09:46:10 PM
You can do it on Kraken and a few other exchanges, but watch the lending rates very carefully as they can eat up your profits quickly. Also, it's only enabled for higher volume coins--so if you wanted to short, say ICN, you wouldn't be able to do it.

LeverJ (ICO now or soon or something, I forget) is working on a decentralized market that allows leveraged trading, but it'll be a while before they or any of the other projects developing similar are live.
Activity: 682
Merit: 540
October 12, 2017, 09:03:50 PM
Stay away from margin trading until you know very very well what are you doing.

Forget that. The only way to learn is to get rekt several times over followed by the most epic win of you life then another flurry of wreckage. After that you'll be ready to margin trade properly
Activity: 434
Merit: 102
October 12, 2017, 08:43:26 PM
If you mean selling in the short term and earning money out of that, then you should check out new promising tokens on exchanges
Activity: 314
Merit: 6
October 12, 2017, 07:46:10 PM

You can short cryptocurrencies on exchanges that allow trading with leverage. A good example is Bitmex exchange.

This basically allows you to make money when cryptocurrencies drop in value. You cant short all the coins but only specific coins and not all exchanges have this option.
Activity: 322
Make A Bet on WORKING SOFTWARE
October 12, 2017, 07:31:31 PM
After our Token Sale, we will develop Financial Spread Betting, Contract For Difference and Binary Options, which enable you to short crypto currencies on our platform.

In the meantime, you can take Bear bets against cryptos on StockBet.com, but it's currently with free "chips".

Activity: 110
Merit: 11
October 12, 2017, 07:28:05 PM
Poloniex allows shorting but only for a few coins: bitshares, clams, doge, dash, ltc, maid, str, xmr, xrp, eth and fct.

You borrow the coins using their margin trading facility, and then sell them. You close the trade out by buying the coin back at a lower price, you then repay what you borrowed, and what is left over is your profit..

Can you short just any coin on other exchanges ?
Activity: 1092
Merit: 501
May 31, 2017, 10:25:08 PM

short? what do you mean by short? Can you rephrase that? If you meant sort, I think coinmarketcap is a good place to look .
Shorting a coin is basically betting against the coin, when you buy bitcoin then you are expecting for the price to go up and that is the way you make profit, but when you short a coin you are expecting for the price to go down instead of up that way you can make money when the price goes to the opposite direction and for those with great skill is a way to make some good money.
Activity: 1666
Merit: 267
Earn bitcoins every hour: USBitcoinServices.com
May 31, 2017, 04:21:53 PM
The way I am supporting cryptocurrencies these days is promoting their projects on social media like Twitter and Facebook and getting some rewards for that. I know that the rewards are not offered soon, it about trusting the team behind the project and also knowing the details of the whitepaper in order to make a decision and apply for the program.  This month I am supporting SONM project which is an interesting one that will not just replace PoW but it has many good features like world computer, scientific research, calculations for the weather just to mention few ot them.

Join SONM and contribute to make the SONM project happen some details here https://twitter.com/sonmdevelopment
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
May 30, 2017, 08:19:50 AM
Poloniex allows shorting but only for a few coins: bitshares, clams, doge, dash, ltc, maid, str, xmr, xrp, eth and fct.

You borrow the coins using their margin trading facility, and then sell them. You close the trade out by buying the coin back at a lower price, you then repay what you borrowed, and what is left over is your profit..
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
May 30, 2017, 03:45:10 AM
I think you can do that on Poloniex. But not every crypto can be shorted.
Activity: 454
This industry is pure fiction
May 24, 2017, 05:24:25 PM
This is the only useful answer. I didn't know Bitfinex allowed shorting. Good to know. I think Poloniex allows margin sells as well.

It does indeed. I just found this option now after you mentioned it. Felt pretty dumb for taking this long to notice it.
Just be careful. Don't lose your shirt.
Activity: 595
Merit: 500
May 24, 2017, 05:20:58 PM
This is the only useful answer. I didn't know Bitfinex allowed shorting. Good to know. I think Poloniex allows margin sells as well.

It does indeed. I just found this option now after you mentioned it. Felt pretty dumb for taking this long to notice it.
Activity: 24
May 24, 2017, 05:03:51 PM

You have to join a platform that allows margin trading and deposit some bitcoin or whatever coin you want to short into your account as collateral. You can then short or long a position.

Some platforms like bitfinex offer leverage at 1:3. Others like SimpleFX go all the way to 1:500.

Keep in mind that margin trading can generate much larger losses then traditional trading. Although there are margin call limits in place in most cases, it does not mean that you cant lose more money than you actually have in your account.

Activity: 980
Merit: 508
May 24, 2017, 04:02:41 PM
Thanks for the responses.   Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: