Pages:
Author

Topic: How do you store your bitcoins? - page 67. (Read 92212 times)

Activity: 145
Merit: 100
May 01, 2017, 10:25:40 PM
Cold storage is the best option for long term, clearly. Mt gox has left a scar on the community and it won't go away for a long time. Even the currently most reputable exchanges I don't fully trust, they just have too short of a track record, operate in other countries, or have questionable support (ahem, cryptsy).
Activity: 700
Merit: 254
May 01, 2017, 09:30:26 PM
Store them away where only you have access to them. Some address where you have access to the public and private keys. That's most important. Don't let any other entity other than you have access to the private key.

Thats right, store it where you are the only one who have the access on it. Save the private key, or put 2fa to fully secured your account. Use another wallet if doing transaction with others, it can help you to prevent from hacking and other matters. Dont let anyone know the full amount of money you stored in your account, it can attract them if they know you have that amount of money, just keep it to yourself.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1285
Flying Hellfish is a Commie
May 01, 2017, 09:20:34 PM
Online Web wallet through BitGo, I know tons of people are going to say that it isnt safe in the least and that if you don't own the keys then you don't own the keys. But I do have the private keys with BitGo you get half of them and you're able to get the other half. They don't know any portion of your private keys so wouldn't be able to steal your coins even if they wanted to.
I do not store them at single place and prefer to store them at multiple places and multiple wallets, at a moment I have divided my bitcoins online wallet, offline wallet, some of them are on exchange sites too.

Though I will ask ya, do you have a single wallet which you use all the time or do you have to go around through all the wallets to make a transcation if needed? I just like the ease of using a web wallet and I THINK BitGo is pretty secure when it comes down to it.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091
May 01, 2017, 05:25:04 PM
I do not store them at single place and prefer to store them at multiple places and multiple wallets, at a moment I have divided my bitcoins online wallet, offline wallet, some of them are on exchange sites too.

It depends on how you use Bitcoin. If we're purely talking about coins that are bought as long term investment, then offline storage is the only way to go. If you are using Bitcoin regularly for spending purposes, then making use of an online wallet will enhance the usability aspect. I often see people refer to their physical fiat wallet when it comes to keeping coins in online wallet services, and I agree with that -- never keep more coins online than you have in your physical fiat wallet. Wink
Activity: 227
May 01, 2017, 05:09:32 PM
Store them away where only you have access to them. Some address where you have access to the public and private keys. That's most important. Don't let any other entity other than you have access to the private key.

Activity: 518
Merit: 256
Living the truth....
May 01, 2017, 05:03:39 PM
Activity: 952
Merit: 513
May 01, 2017, 04:59:35 PM
I preferred to store bitcoins in a secured online wallet,
and also storing them in various trusted online exchange websites. Smiley
Dont you think that stacking your bitcoins at different online cryptocurrency exchanges is a good idea?
There were many cases in which people have lost their money, just because the website was suspended, but the support claimed that everything is fine.
After few days, it has turn out that pretty much people using this page have lost their money.

If you do not have any kind of an access to the private key of your wallet, you should avoid such a wallet service. Also, it is not so hard to hack the online wallets, when offline ones are pretty much secured: unless the thief is going to find out where do you store btc ( it might be also paper wallet, or a hardware one)
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1500
May 01, 2017, 04:43:52 PM
I don’t use any single storage to save my bitcoins because that is risky and if it’s hacked, you are gone forever. I prefer to diversify. I use a hardware wallet for the major percentage of my bitcoin savings and few online wallets for regular funds.

I trade actively and hence I keep a minor percentage of my bitcoin savings in some online wallets to fund my trading accounts. However, I use a combination of online accounts for receiving payments from various trade accounts. Diversification is the key of the security here.
Activity: 1190
Merit: 253
May 01, 2017, 03:35:06 PM

They maybe trusted but there is nothing like securing your own bitcoin in you own local wallet.  They are easier access and you have full control of your bitcoin because you have a private key for it.  I secure mine in my local computer and printing out the private key for the purpose of backing up since we do not know when our local storage disk will give up.
Activity: 274
Merit: 250
May 01, 2017, 03:32:30 PM
Hello everyone as the title says ^
Do you store your bitcoins online or on a wallet on your computer, perhaps cold storage?

My Bitcoin so far was in mycelium , and electrum wallet. Then I also have in the exchange sites such as bittrex, c-cex, novaexchange, and yobit but not that as high amount only enough for buying altcoin if there are coins in the platform will be dump.

Yes its better not to put huge amount of bitcoins on exchange site as you never know how long those sites will survive and if gets hacked or disappeared then you will be loosing all your coins so its always good to save them in offline wallet.
although there are so many trusted exchanges who are working for long long time but i think still we need to remain as careful, as anything can happen, even the exchanges can also be hacked just like bitfinex when the whole exchange was hacked and people lost so much big big  big amount money and still not recover, therefor it is too much important to be careful while putting our money in an exchange, we need to select a trusted exchange ans always put a small amount in such exchanges.

For me Poloniex is the best place to store my bitcoins by I don't store huge amount there and I make sure that whenever I make profits I withdraw it at a right time and transfer those bitcoins to my offline wallet where no one can hack my bitcoins.
The author of the theme is a pillow with humor to this issue, in some countries money is still stored in glass jars or in the freezer of the refrigerator, they are in the financial institutions of the state. Thus to protect themselves from loss and from taxes. Fortunately, there are no such problems with Bitcoin.
Activity: 322
May 01, 2017, 03:19:56 PM
Do you store your bitcoins online or on a wallet on your computer, perhaps cold storage?

My Bitcoin so far was in mycelium , and electrum wallet. Then I also have in the exchange sites such as bittrex, c-cex, novaexchange, and yobit but not that as high amount only enough for buying altcoin if there are coins in the platform will be dump.

Yes its better not to put huge amount of bitcoins on exchange site as you never know how long those sites will survive and if gets hacked or disappeared then you will be loosing all your coins so its always good to save them in offline wallet.
although there are so many trusted exchanges who are working for long long time but i think still we need to remain as careful, as anything can happen, even the exchanges can also be hacked just like bitfinex when the whole exchange was hacked and people lost so much big big  big amount money and still not recover, therefor it is too much important to be careful while putting our money in an exchange, we need to select a trusted exchange ans always put a small amount in such exchanges.

For me Poloniex is the best place to store my bitcoins by I don't store huge amount there and I make sure that whenever I make profits I withdraw it at a right time and transfer those bitcoins to my offline wallet where no one can hack my bitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
May 01, 2017, 02:28:37 PM

Activity: 1344
Merit: 502
May 01, 2017, 02:20:44 PM
Activity: 490
May 01, 2017, 02:06:59 PM

Activity: 777
Merit: 251
May 01, 2017, 02:04:53 PM

Activity: 546
Merit: 255
April 29, 2017, 11:47:15 AM
See , bitcoin can only be stored in wallets no matter online or offline. If your talking about investing then there are many ways to invest them. One of the ways is that buy other crypto currency and wait for the prices to rise. Other things even you can decide buy things which have a chance to have a raise in their prices
Activity: 210
April 29, 2017, 09:49:34 AM

So mostly everyone think that the most secure way to store the Bitcoin(s) are using a paper wallet? yes they are secure, it is getting more reliable if you are using the multisig approach
Activity: 368
Merit: 104
April 29, 2017, 09:27:49 AM
when i get bitcoin i invest them in different ways so that is why i can store my bitcoins. i invest them in cloud mining sites and also some other sites.
Activity: 798
Merit: 500
April 29, 2017, 09:15:23 AM
Mostly i store bitcoins on online wallets because i feel more secure on storing under their services because im a kind of person that can easily forgot or misplace things so it will be risky for me to store using private keys or in my computer because i may misplace and cant find them anymore
Activity: 896
Merit: 500
April 29, 2017, 09:08:50 AM
I only have a few BTC so I invested and the other Coins, hope it will be nice
This sounds good. I think there didn't any sense just keep such a small amount of Bitcoin in a wallet, it's never given you good profit while a good capital related to good profit in forward. So, focus to keep growing your Bitcoin through investment or altcoins trading must be the choice.

I think this is the best way to benefit from bitcoin by investing and trading altcoin, but if we are in the must to choose one of the two to minimize which loss is better trading or investment?

I think investment is like easy money. You just have to invest one time in a good program and you will get easy money without having to be worried about any skills which are required in trading.

In theory, it is easy, however, in fact, what we know is not true. Businesses always find the dangers to entrepreneurs, forcing business people to be assertive, skilled in the workplace, and financially viable. For a business, even if one option is wrong, you can lose everything.
Pages:
Jump to: