Pages:
Author

Topic: How do you store your passwords? - page 2. (Read 2721 times)

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195
January 14, 2014, 12:21:24 PM
My password(s) is a 256 bit hash of several answers to very personal questions. Basically a puzzle that you have to solve in certain order.

Yes, it's a big hassle to retrieve it. On the other hand, yes it's a big hassle to retrieve it.  Grin

lol, big paswords wont matter if you've got a keylogger though  Cheesy.

If you're incompetent enough to have a keylogger on your system and not understand why you should be regularly scrubbing your "run on start" programs (hijackthis! generally is my tool of choice) then you have bigger issues than keyloggers I reckon.

That's true. I prefer to use linux anyway.
donator
Activity: 452
Merit: 252
January 14, 2014, 12:18:44 PM
My password(s) is a 256 bit hash of several answers to very personal questions. Basically a puzzle that you have to solve in certain order.

Yes, it's a big hassle to retrieve it. On the other hand, yes it's a big hassle to retrieve it.  Grin

If you're incompetent enough to have a keylogger on your system and not understand why you should be regularly scrubbing your "run on start" programs (hijackthis! generally is my tool of choice) then you have bigger issues than keyloggers I reckon.
legendary
January 14, 2014, 11:55:57 AM

Activity: 392
Merit: 116
Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet
January 14, 2014, 11:52:02 AM

donator
Activity: 452
Merit: 252
January 14, 2014, 11:35:09 AM
I store them in my head, and they are 20 character passphrases not passwords.

I forgot one for a BTC wallet late last year. It wasnt fun but I remembered it after trying combinations for a few days. You have to be very careful.

I recommend keeping passwords in your head, but not massive 20 character pass-phrases lol.

I use a 9 word passphase with a acronym in the center, just what wikipedia suggests I do.

As an added bonus, I can't spend my coins while intoxicated because my password is way too complex to type properly when on drugs so I have my own anti-drug security measure on my bitcoin wallet, woho.
legendary
January 14, 2014, 11:27:11 AM
I just keep them on pendrive in an ordinary txt file. I don't use all this sneaky renaming, noone touches my stuff anyway  Cheesy

Similar here. With a little maths (algorithm) involved to get the actual passwords.

As long as you use the pen drive on a safe computer. I recommend using a linux boot CD. If your computer is infected when you look at the password text file you could be in trouble.

If you have to write passwords down it kinda defeats the point. Just make a reminder. If your password is Bitcoinpimp2014 just write down btcp14.

Yeah, as long as you don't forget what btcp14 means lol.
Activity: 840
Merit: 509
January 14, 2014, 11:22:28 AM
I just keep them on pendrive in an ordinary txt file. I don't use all this sneaky renaming, noone touches my stuff anyway  Cheesy

Similar here. With a little maths (algorithm) involved to get the actual passwords.

As long as you use the pen drive on a safe computer. I recommend using a linux boot CD. If your computer is infected when you look at the password text file you could be in trouble.

If you have to write passwords down it kinda defeats the point. Just make a reminder. If your password is Bitcoinpimp2014 just write down btcp14.
legendary
January 14, 2014, 11:21:01 AM

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
January 14, 2014, 11:18:03 AM

Activity: 378
Merit: 100
January 14, 2014, 11:16:22 AM
Hmm hide it in a swiss bank hahahah, overkill
Activity: 154
January 14, 2014, 11:08:11 AM

I forgot one for a BTC wallet late last year. It wasnt fun but I remembered it after trying combinations for a few days. You have to be very careful.

I recommend keeping passwords in your head, but not massive 20 character pass-phrases lol.

Haha yeah, anything past around 8 or 9 characters becomes had to remember if you don't think about it every day!
legendary
January 14, 2014, 11:03:13 AM

Activity: 154
January 14, 2014, 10:42:49 AM
I keep my main password in my mind - I've memorised it over time and think it's the most secure - unless I die and no one can retrieve it  Wink
Activity: 926
Merit: 1001
weaving spiders come not here
January 14, 2014, 10:06:07 AM
KEEPASS database inside a truecrypt container.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
January 14, 2014, 08:58:03 AM
Don't like having my passwords at some online service...
Why not use Keepass2 / Keepassx? Same functionality, only completely in your control?

I use LASTPASS.  (lastpass.com)

Cannot recommend it enough.  I have 15 character random unique passwords for every site I visit.

Great product for everything web based.  There are a few of them as well.  Roboform. Password box.  Etc.

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Small Red and Bad
January 14, 2014, 07:41:38 AM

And now anybody who wants to touch your stuff knows exactly where you hide your passwords.
So now he has to get my address, come here, break in, spend hours turning my house up side down searching for that pendrive and get the reward. Any volunteers?  Grin
Activity: 362
Merit: 262
January 14, 2014, 06:49:02 AM
Keepass2 running on PCs and on phone and tablet. All of these are kept in sync with btsync. I love btsync for this as it is p2p file sync. 

b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010
January 14, 2014, 06:44:44 AM

And now anybody who wants to touch your stuff knows exactly where you hide your passwords.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Small Red and Bad
January 14, 2014, 06:38:16 AM
Activity: 212
Merit: 102
January 14, 2014, 06:20:04 AM
Keepass 2 on PC and kypass 3 on iPhone with dropbox to sync between them. The only password software you will ever need. Only have to remember the master password.
Pages:
Jump to: